Are you still eating restaurant takeout food?

Are you still eating restaurant takeout food?

• Total voters

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
My family and I are craving sushi from our favorite Japanese restaurant. I was planning to cook and make everything at home but good sushi is something I can't. So I'm thinking about making an exception for sushi. My wife and my daughter both agree it's worth taking the risk for sushi. They're craving sushi as well. Are you still eating out? If not, are you making any exception?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ya, Delivery almost covers every restaurant these days, so it's super convenient. That said, it is a point of contact(s) that increase risk, so I would not rely on it 100%.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I always cook my own meals but I might start getting takeout to support the local restaurants. One place down the corner is advertising 20% off; they must be desperate.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I always cook my own meals but I might start getting takeout to support the local restaurants. One place down the corner is advertising 20% off; they must be desperate.
I know how to cook well so I can practically make any dish at home. I'm fully stocked. But good sushi takes different skill which I don't have. Sushi from this restaurant is better than any sushi I've had anywhere in the world. And I've eaten lot of sushi all over Asia so that's saying a lot. Which is why I'm willing to risk possible death to eat.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Locally we have a lot of food trucks that are often at local breweries (there are over 60 in the area). Brewery tasting rooms are closed by order of the governor, but many are selling beer to go, some seem to have a lot of traffic doing this, and you don't even have to get out of your car. I have taken advantage of this.

Food trucks are setting up at various locations and selling their food. I hope they see enough traffic to survive.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Locally we have a lot of food trucks that are often at local breweries (there are over 60 in the area). Brewery tasting rooms are closed by order of the governor, but many are selling beer to go, some seem to have a lot of traffic doing this, and you don't even have to get out of your car. I have taken advantage of this.

Food trucks are setting up at various locations and selling their food. I hope they see enough traffic to survive.

The local micro-breweries have started Delivery here.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm reducing it but not necessarily stopping it completely. Lot of places are restricting to takeout or delivery only, so I feel those are probably going to be safe due to less traffic in their building and less hands touching doors, counters etc. I'd like to think they are taking tons of extra precautions as well in the kitchen and even when handling the delivery containers, bag etc. If it's always the same set of hands touching things and they're all taking precautions then the risk is super low.

From what I've heard you also can't get the virus through food, so the food itself is going to be safe, the potential risk is just actually touching it, or surfaces such as the bag or containers etc. If all the precautions are being taken by staff then that risk is going to be super low.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have been. Probably a bit less cause it's less convenient than it was, but not out of any major concern.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Just debated getting a pizza but we'll put it in the oven for a little just to make sure the last worker that touched it didn't have the 'rona.

So far though, we've avoided eating out. The one day we tried around when this started, the Chinese place we wanted to go to had already closed completely until Apr 1st.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
might hit waitaburger later this week. we'll be having food trucks by at the building all next week as well, i'll probably get from a few of those. even though i have lots of food (aside from tortillas, which i may just make).

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Free delivery and no need for tip, so i ordered lunch earlier. Maybe just this time, wife was a little afraid. We actually used gloves and put the food into containers while inside the garage, then heat them up a little more before consuming.

Nov 20, 2009
The problem with eating restaurant take-out food is that my two favorite restaurants want 25% high prices. I normally 15% tip the person ringing me up at the register, but adding 25% to the cost of the food is not wanting.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
That really hit the spot. Sushi was so good. Everything tastes better when you crave something. That said, quality and quantity of the takeout wasn't the same as normal dine in. I would say about 90% of the dine in quality and quantity. I think they're still adjusting to this current takeout only reduced traffic environment. I'm sure it's kind of hard to know how much food to prepare for dinner rush that may or may not come now. There were 3 other customers waiting for their takeout food when I got there. It's Japanese family run restaurant. I saw the owner and his son behind the sushi bar making all the sushi as usual. But none of the normal waiters were there.

It was weird because everyone seemed little nervous and on the edge. The 3 waiting customers were spaced out and the owner's wife who ranged me up took my credit card on a tray and gave the receipt and card back on the tray. She kind of avoided coming close to me. Everyone seemed little paranoid. The restaurant is operating on reduced dinner hours. They're only open from 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm for dinner. And everything is takeout only now.

We're probably going to continue to order takeout from there at least once a week as long as they remain open. My daughter wants me to order at least twice a week. She loves their sushi rolls. In the past, we normally ate there about once a week. I'm ok with twice a week. But my wife said no more than once a week. She's the boss lady.

Nov 20, 2009
I think what I am going to do is ask our favorite waiter--who claims to know how to cook--to train my wife. She seems willing to take 'instruction' from him HAHAHAHAHAHA and I'll just reap the rewards of their cooing lessons. I'll just him the typical dine-in bill. That way a friend gets some sort of secondary income while his work lays him off and I get a cooked meal.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The problem with eating restaurant take-out food is that my two favorite restaurants want 25% high prices. I normally 15% tip the person ringing me up at the register, but adding 25% to the cost of the food is not wanting.
Is one of the restaurant you're talking about Pappadeaux? That's the only restaurant I'm familiar with that charges more for takeout than dine in. But I don't think they charge 25% more.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Literally just came home with Burger King. Their app has amazing deals right now.

Nov 8, 2012
It's all a matter of exposure in your area and where the bell curve is it.

Probability. Use math where you can. Right now - there are a total of 8 (yes EIGHT) recorded cases in my local city. The probability that a restaurant worker that I order from is infected and manages to get it on my food or the delivery bag is pretty minimal...

But.... 1 or 2 weeks from now... that 8 will turn into 64... then 512.... so... yeah. Evaluate it on a case by case basis to the best of your understanding for probability.