Are you really doing something you love/enjoy for your career?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: mikej007
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I think what they're saying is you're going to be doing something you hate anyway, so you may as well not destroy the enjoyment of your hobby in the process. Its kind of true. I now know if I do IT work I'm going to try and do as little work on PCs as possible. (Focus on just the networking/admin part of it, thats where the money is anyway) I used to enjoy coming home and tinkering with my box...now if my home machine doesn't work for even a second I about throw it out of the window in a rage.

QFMFT!!!!

I used to love my PCs and tinkering with them. Now because I deal with IT bs all day long, I don't want to touch my PCs when I get home, and if something gets messed up on one of them I want to destroy it with a pick-axe.

Very true. I almost never get on a computer at home unless I am working remotely. It tends to stress me out a little now.

archiloco

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2004
i have worked for the same company since i graduated in college (2002) it's a Design firm and it's interesting, but i think i need more in a job..........the pay sucks, and benifits are non-existant, no days off other than major holidays. only perks are sometimes we have events that we get to eat fancy dinners with clients and stuff, that's good, but i need something more. just starting up my own firm (different type of design, as to not interfere with my current job) and going to take it one day at a time...hopefully in the future i can do my own design frim fulltime other than weekends/nights that i am doing now(pay sucks here too, so i need to restructure, and i like i can do that other than my current job where money talk is taboo).

edit:::Did not answer the questions

1. Sort of like what i do
2. doing my own thing is going to make me love my job.