Are you ready for a UHD SAMOLED display? 820ppi

Rdmkr

Aug 2, 2013
"blah blah blah useless blah beyond retina blah blah blah battery drain blah 5 inch too small blah blah"

That being said, I want it. shutupandtakemymoney.gif

I like this guy's attitude to the whole "retina display" issue: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...esolution-per-eye-isnt-enough-for-perfect-vr/

I hope he's right and 4K displays on 5" will simply look awesome in a way that is easy to notice. But we'll see.

Last edited:

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Honestly, I don't know about the need for this resolution on phones (though it'll be welcome on tablets).

However, I do think the 2014 displays of 2560X1440 are useful as it will result in a upper-400 dpi for phablet sized phones (assuming the Note 4 has close to a 6" screen), especially if they stick with the diamond matrix.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Can mobile GPUs actually keep up with that kind of resolution? I'm pretty fine with my 1080p actually. But if you give me the option to run in double-pixel mode for better performance then by all means go UHD.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
I don't see the point of it.
Once you hit the 1080p mark on a ~5inch phone, its at a point of diminishing return.
Comparing the Nexus 4 and 5 side by side, I can hardly tell a difference. I mean its there but very little.
Going to 2560X1440 is waste. You're sacrificing SoC power and presumably battery for nothing in return.
Now as someone said, it will be great for tablets but useless for phones.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Once you hit the 1080p mark on a ~5inch phone, its at a point of diminishing return.
Comparing the Nexus 4 and 5 side by side, I can hardly tell a difference. I mean its there but very little.
Going to 2560X1440 is waste. You're sacrificing SoC power and presumably battery for nothing in return.

Ignoring the SoC, AMOLED screens don't necessarily use more power as resolution increases, unlike LCD.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I want to see one. Pretty soon we're going to reach a pixel density that puts the dpi argument to rest. Maybe this is it?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I want to see one. Pretty soon we're going to reach a pixel density that puts the dpi argument to rest. Maybe this is it?

Just because you can't see individual pixels doesn't mean things can't be sharper. They are two different things.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010

I'm imagining someone building a homemade Oculus Rift out of it. Outside of that, I can't see the point, either.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I'm imagining someone building a homemade Oculus Rift out of it. Outside of that, I can't see the point, either.

Or something like Google Glass.

If Samsung can figure out how to make it cheap, it will help with the invasion of high density displays in notebooks and desktops. Food for thought: at that same pixel density a 27" desktop display would have a resolution of 15215x9444. In actual phones, it seems pretty silly to me.

Last edited:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Just because you can't see individual pixels doesn't mean things can't be sharper. They are two different things.

I'm willing to accept that as a possibility. Still, 800 dpi may be high enough that even that kind of sharpness is no longer perceptibly improved. I think it would be interesting to compare two displays with greater than retina dpi where one is still far higher res than the other. With say one 400 dpi and one 800 dpi screen of the same size we can really begin to quantify the benefits, if any, that occur even when you can't see any pixels on either screen. That's what I meant by settling the argument once and for all.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
they should try to improve color accuracy and energy efficiency first.

What's the point of higher resolution that is still power hungry and color washed out (or oversaturated)??? To magnify the problem?

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
I own a GS4 and I think that's pretty much all that's needed (1080p 5"). I think they would be better served improving the brightness of existing pixels on AMOLED displays vs making more of them.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
The Snapdraggon 805 should be able to without issue.

Even the S4 Pro Quad/Adreno 320 should be able, to be honest.

This is true, but only because apps just don't use the power of even the Adreno 320/330. It really bothers me that I spend >400 on a top-of-the-line phone and then app makers cater to all the GSIIs and Huawei crapbox "smart" phones running android 4.1

These phones shouldn't cost anything at all with a plan. The cost of a phone vs a 3yr agreement is minuscule. The fact that AT&T and Verizon can get away with selling garbage phones with outdated SoCs is ridiculous. There should be 3 or 4 choices that all cost the same and they should all perform well, like on iOS.

Feb 19, 2001
they should try to improve color accuracy and energy efficiency first.

What's the point of higher resolution that is still power hungry and color washed out (or oversaturated)??? To magnify the problem?
Color accuracy and higher resolution aren't mutually exclusive. Just because you work on color accuracy doesn't mean you can't work on larger screens.

Plus, that's just a matter of calibration. Apple and other companies have shown you that calibration out of the factory can be performed quite well. This is more of a manufacturing challenge and validation of a good calibration process rather than screen tech.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
That's nice, but can the SoC handle all the pixels?

It depends on what you mean by "handle". Pretty much any mobile GPU can handle a static image, it depends on how much UI compositing is going on for higher resolutions. I don't think it's pure coincidence that all 3 mobile operating systems have moved to or always started at far simpler UIs as they are much easier to render.

Games are another story but if you get to a PPI high enough, you can render at 1/2 native resolution and the advantage of integer scaling plays in your favor.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Just thinking out loud, but if OLED power usage doesn't scale up with resolution in the same way as LCD, might this not be a way for Samsung to bully LCD panel manufacturers out of the cellphone market?