Are you planning to use (or are using) AMD's Fuzedrive with your socket AM4 or socket TR4 system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I mean, it would be if I didn't have to buy a high end motherboard just to get access to it and then pay for the software as well. All that and its tied to the OS install. Its to rigid and I don't really control it. And then the setup ends up complicated. And why is it limited to 120GB again? Why all these limits on what I can do? Complicated and rigid in its requirements and limited in its potential scope. All wrapped up in a dubious value proposition. The same disappointing offering as Intel IMO. I'm disappointed because I was actually excited for a new better offering in this space.

What I really want is a hardware setup that just presents a device right to the system with the OS being completely unaware of its existence. I'd probably pay for that even if it was tied to the board.

In the end you're probably better off using Primocache on Windows or bcache/flashcache/dmcache on linux. At least if you replace your motherboard with a different you can still keep using those.

I wouldn't call B350 expensive. And the benefit this has over PrimoCache and Intel RST is lower system resource usage, and keeping all storage usable, rather than having some of it used purely for caching.

That said I agree that the limitations are quite irritating, and I have voiced this concern to both AMD and Enmotus.

I noticed the A320 chipset is now permitted. (A very good idea IMO.)

May 11, 2008
Nah, i do not want it. I will just buy a bigger ssd and be happy with that. There is so much to keep in check these days that i would be rather confused with selecting what goes on my ssd and what goes on my hdd. Oh wait, i already do that ever since i have added an ssd to my system.
I see no use for it.
If there would come out an HDD with multiple GB optane cache integrated, i might be interested if the real world performance improvements are there for me to use.
I like most of the stuff that AMD makes, but this is not on my list of desire.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm leaning towards it. Watched a video where it was tested and the performance benefits are better than using SSD alone. The only thing that concerns me is that the Tester had some issues getting it to work, having to manually configure some things using a DOS console.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Tried it, got a refund because I failed to notice that you can't use it with RAID/Pooled drives.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I'm leaning towards it. Watched a video where it was tested and the performance benefits are better than using SSD alone. The only thing that concerns me is that the Tester had some issues getting it to work, having to manually configure some things using a DOS console.
Which video was this? I'm skeptical of the claim. How can you have a program that uses an HDD and SSD be faster than using the SSD - other than doing something like compressing the data on the drive and decompressing in memory.

I'm not interested in the program mainly because of the limitations on number and size of the drives (1TB max on SSD) and the fact that losing any drive potentially loses data on all drives.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Which video was this? I'm skeptical of the claim. How can you have a program that uses an HDD and SSD be faster than using the SSD - other than doing something like compressing the data on the drive and decompressing in memory.

I'm not interested in the program mainly because of the limitations on number and size of the drives (1TB max on SSD) and the fact that losing any drive potentially loses data on all drives.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I saw that. He tested 1 game and said "basically the same as StoreMI" around the 18:20 mark.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

I didn't even know StoreMI (a rebranded version of Fuze Drive for AMD 400 series motherboard owners) existed.

Very nice that is free (with 256GB fast tier). (No license key required as the software detects the presence of the 400 series motherboard at startup).

With this mentioned, I only wish AMD and Enmotus would add the ability to pin the page file. (I believe Optane would work better (for certain tasks) when used with a HDD if this capability was added.).