Are you planning to build a watercooled PC and live near ish Heathrow.

barbary

Apr 11, 2000
If so read on.

I have no idea if any of the old SETI@Home people are still here or if they remember me. I used to be on here everyday. That was 10 years ago but still it is on this forum I make this one time only offer before I try ebay.

My old super duper watercooled overclocked machine has died and has now sat on the shelf for 6 months. I'm never going to fix it infact I've just ordered a new machine to replace it. I have no friends (atleast none who want this) so it is free to any anandtech member who wants to come and pick it up. Preference will be given to any old SETI@Home boys. Reply to this thread and tell me if and why you want it.

It is in a very large server case. Think 2 large atx cases welded together.

It has inside it working
1000W power supply
8800 GTX warercooled slightly overclocked
Adaptec 2405 Raid card 4 port x4PCI-E
2 dual fan radiators
2 single fan radiators
2 Pumps
Fan control board with heat sensors
3x Raptors 160Gb
Some other fans, pipes, connectors, leads, waterblocks etc.

Probably working but one of these bits is going to be broken.
X6700/X6800 I forget which
4 sticks of 1GB OCZ Flex ram can be watercooled but isn't
P5K deluxe

There is not
An OS
After pickup support
Manuals (there probably are some)

It doesn't work. It doesn't post or if it Posts it won't boot or if it boots it does run but you can't shut it down because it won't post. It used to be overclocked to 3.6Ghz to get it to post now I have to run default bios at 2.66Ghz. Maybe you are clever and can make the whole thing run again with just ten minutes playing in the bios. If so good for you come and get it. It is probably the motherboard that is broken but that is just a guess.

A word on coming to get it. The case is big it probably won't go in the boot of your car or even on the back seat because of the shape of the doors. The one time I took it somewhere I had to put it on the front seat of my car.

Also it's offered as is. Come pick it up and go. That is to say there will be no dismantaling it or asking for for one bit but not the other. If you want the coolent out of it before you come say so upfront. I wouldn't its expensive and there is probably 3 liters of the stuff in there.

Failure to compley will result in you being shown the door. Trust me I'm not kidding.

So there you go. If nobody replies in the next couple of days I'm going to try and shift it on ebay. I offer it completely in the spirt of paying it forward and spreading the love around.

Last edited:

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
Would you agree to send the 8800gtx? I'd pay the shipping costs! I don't live in the UK.

That would be interesting :)

EDIT: I just re-read your post: are you only giving away the computer as a whole?

barbary

Apr 11, 2000
Would you agree to send the 8800gtx? I'd pay the shipping costs! I don't live in the UK.

That would be interesting :)

EDIT: I just re-read your post: are you only giving away the computer as a whole?

I am only giving away the whole PC and only if you come and pick it up.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
that's sad, the 8800gtx gives quite a good rac on seti with the latest cuda dlls!

but thanks for your offer anyways ;)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Very nice offer - but I can not take you up on it - live in northern Sweden. :(
Cudos for the spirit in which this offer is made! :)

djdave404

Aug 16, 2010
Sounds like a classic power supply problem.

Voltage is a bit to low on one of the rails.

Part it out on E-bay if i were you, better money and less shipping overall.

That way you can have a bit more disposable income to improve the new bulid.

Great offer, if i was in country, i would fix it up.

dam nice of you to offer it to the members.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
hopefully assimilator1 sees this, I think he lives in London or thereabouts.

wow, lots of people still crunching away from that list. I wasn't on the TeAm then, but as they say in Texas "I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could!"

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
We were a very strong seti Team back then,we finished 4th overall.
I had 12 computers running and still finished in 25 place.

barbary

Apr 11, 2000

Wow there I am at 28th. When I started SETI I had a dual 400 MHz machine with 512Mb of Ram. For 1998 that was awsome. It had 2x 3dfx Voodoo 2 cards in SLI they were the special edition 12Mb version that only creative did. Yes creative used to do graphics cards but they didn't actualy run the desktop so you needed a 2d graphics card as well. Oh and it was dual boot with NT and Win 98.

When everyone was struggling to run Hidden and Dangerous on the first Geforce card (which was only 16Mb) my rig ran it fine.

It did 4 WU's a day. The last machine I had running SETI was a Dual 3.6Ghz P4 with Hyper Threading that did 40 WU's a day. Infact I still have it, its running virtual server with a couple of VM's on it.

To complete this little trip down memory lane I've just bought a machine with 780x @4ghz 6 gigs of ram dual C300 256Gb SSD and for the first time since that first machine 12 years ago, I have returned to SLI with Dual 480GTX cards.

Last edited:

djdave404

Aug 16, 2010
You will love the C300 256Gb SSD, I have one on a Gigabyte UD7 motherboard with the Sata 3 controler.

it's insanely fast.

Be sure it has the firmware update. I had to flash mine before I loaded the OS. (has to be flashed on the sata II controler)

Flashing them also formats them at the same time.

You will have to post how well the GC works in raid 0. I'm only useing one and useing trim.

I'm also running the 980X OC to 4.0

Your going to love it, it's crazy fast too.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Doh!, too late!, though TBH I couldn't keep it in 1 piece, I'd have to break it up straight after I got it, which would be a shame. But anyway I assume it's gone now.
A very generous off btw :).

Btw Barbary, good to see you mate :), longtime no see!
Would be good to see you about again :thumbsup: