Are you planning on buying (or already bought) an AM4 Raven Ridge APU?

Are you planning on buying (or already bought) an AM4 Raven Ridge APU?

  • No

    Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Yes, Ryzen 5 2400G

    Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Yes, Ryzen 3 2200G

    Votes: 9 14.3%

  • Total voters
    63
Mar 27, 2009
12,760
20
106
#1
Are you planning on buying (or already bought) an AM4 Raven Ridge APU?

If so, which one and what do you plan on doing with it? (Feel free to add detailed information about enclosure used, other hardware in build, software, etc.)
 
Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
7,130
53
126
#2
I didn't vote as I'm not looking to build a rig at this time....But if I was I'd most likely go for the 2400G.
 

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
6,312
243
96
#4
Are you planning on buying (or already bought) an AM4 Raven Ridge APU?

If so, which one and what do you plan on doing with it? (Feel free to add detailed information about enclosure used, other hardware in build, software, etc.)
I voted no myself as I don't even need a new computer tight now. Well that, I am also more likely to buy a 6c/12t or better CPU instead.
 

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
1,316
136
136
#5
Yes. For a combo HTPC and mom box. A little light gaming when the grandkids visit.
 

plopke

Senior member
Jan 26, 2010
212
4
101
#6
The next time any of my familly/friends will need a new upgrade, i might try out the 2200G. Basic intel i3/pentium builds have annoyed me in 2017, so much that it actually made me sad. I know not all of the following had to be done , but for all them time was spend investigating if it would be a risk or required update.
1) HT bug bios update
2) ME bug requiring bios update
2b) reapplying specific drivers for the ME bug
3) meltdown/spectre bios update
4)new Intel driver distribution platform not working for months and the redesign from application based to browser based , which brings a tons of compatibility issues with browser versions ,....
5) crashing graphics drivers

*)motherboard line-up mess , hopefully fixed soon
**) value , the 2200G offers a lot of value

now all these things happened in 2017 , i really love my Intel products and on a personal level these issues are not a big deal ,but if you build a small machine for like your family/friends it becomes way to much of a nuisance, so if the 2200G becomes as stable as the Ryzen builds , i will not look away from it.
 
Aug 17, 2013
1,737
5
106
#7
I voted "NO" cause I am waiting till April or May to get Ryzen 2. Hoping to get either a r7 2800x or 2950x or both.
Trying to get my hands on some much faster 32GB of Ram for that build but memory prices are outrageous right now..
 

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
1,024
3
91
#9
Nope, waiting on Zen+, probably a 2800x
 

Mr Evil

Senior member
Jul 24, 2015
363
24
86
mrevil.asvachin.eu
#10
I am thinking about getting a 2200GE when they become available. That isn't in the poll, so I can't vote.
 

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
3,440
88
126
#11
Eventually, yes. I'll get one to play with.

Think I'll wait until the GE versions are available. Should be just perfect for a mini-(HT)PC.
 

epsilon84

Senior member
Aug 29, 2010
931
104
136
#12
From a gaming perspective,, no, the APUs don't have the graphical power needed for 1080P gaming.

I may get one at some point (probably a 2200G) to upgrade my HTPC which is currently a woefully underpowered Atom SFF PC. Though this is dependent on DDR4 prices coming back down to reasonable levels, otherwise I'll just get a used DDR3 based USFF.
 
Last edited:

TStep

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2003
2,460
0
81
#13
No. Still rocking a 2600k. Yes the newer cpus are faster, but the 2600k overclocked still holds its own quite well. DDR4 cost is simply too much to warrant an upgrade given how little a performance increase I'll see. I'd love to get a 2200 and OC the bejesus out of it for $100, but not at the DDR4 premium.

But I will likely get a 2500u notebook if pricing is reasonable.
 

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
4,750
21
106
#14
DDR4 prices kills any platform upgrade for me right now, better keep my ancient i5 with enough DDR3 that I have and keep investing on newer VGAs when needed.
which is a shame, because the 2200G itself is really tempting.
 

DigDog

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2011
9,999
110
126
#16
not in the market for APUs at all. i have one big central computer that does gaming and everything else just syncs to it. by everything else i mean: my phone.

i'm not sure why i need to upgrade, either. my stuff from 2014 is still going strong.
 
Mar 10, 2004
28,286
180
126
#17
Yes, probably will go with a 2400G for a friend who needs a basic box with a little gaming ability.
 

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
40,741
0
126
#18
Nope, for low-power use with just basic video, I'd pick intel or ARM. For gaming I'd want a dedicated GPU.

These are a great step forward from the last generation, but still only good enough for 720p or maybe 900p gaming for modern games.
 

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
17,104
544
136
#19
I didn't vote as I'm not looking to build a rig at this time....But if I was I'd most likely go for the 2400G.
I said no, but I think a choice of "I am not ready to buy another CPU right now" would have been a good choice to have in the poll. I am just not ready.
 

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
1,189
0
91
#20
If the ASrock Taichi had an HDMI out I think i would switch my HTPC back to a fully integrated system using a RR 2400G. I've been having issues with my RAID boxes and it's getting old.

The problem is due to hardware limitations I would have to make some type of concession that I am not currently ready to make. Either having less total drives using on-board SATA, getting a SAS/SATA card, or going with Ryzen and a standalone video card. None of these options are really appealing to me at the moment.

If I could get the Taichi, which has 10 built-in ports with HDMI that would support RR, I think I'd be on-board probably today.
 

mohit9206

Senior member
Jul 2, 2013
999
51
116
#21
DDR4 prices kills any platform upgrade for me right now, better keep my ancient i5 with enough DDR3 that I have and keep investing on newer VGAs when needed.
which is a shame, because the 2200G itself is really tempting.
Originally i was thinking the same but considering how all ram prices have gone up this means i could sell my old ddr3 ram for more than i originally bought it for which would help offset the cost of new ddr4 ram.
I plan for 2200G+ 1050ti + B350+ 8gb ddr4.
Currently this combo costs about $500 in my country but I'm going to hold out as my ancient PC is still good for completing my backlog of old games. New games can wait.
 

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Super Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
965
0
106
www.youtube.com
#22
I voted yes (2200G), but the DDR4 price drop needs to happen before I build anything. By then, I'm hoping to see B450/whatever boards available as well as the official PlayReady 3.0 drivers out. I'm in no rush.
 

NostaSeronx

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2011
2,254
58
106
#23
I'll be going Mercury Lake as the premium x86 market currently is unappealing for low-cost general usage.

Gimmie an octo-core with 32EUs Gen 1x-GT1.5 over anything these days.
 

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
2,248
2
101
#24
If I didn't already have an Nvidia Shield, I would put one of these in an HTPC in the living room.
 
Apr 27, 2000
10,844
541
126
#25
I'll be going Mercury Lake as the premium x86 market currently is unappealing for low-cost general usage.

Gimmie an octo-core with 32EUs Gen 1x-GT1.5 over anything these days.
Let us know how that works out for you! In 20XX or whenever that releases? Hopefully MegaMan will stop Dr. Wily before he destroys the fab.
 


ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS