Are you obsessed with money?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm so jealous of him!

One day, one day. Mind you I go by all of the above/what he wrote, but I'm in more of a metropolitan area with whole bunch of money chasers and your typical "keeping up with the jonses'" types.

I'm already a king based on my standards/where I come from. I'm happy and live comfortably. Have plenty of time to spend with my loved ones and things are great.

I just wish I was far away from money chasers/that type of civilization...FAR FAR away.
I think it's good to keep in mind, even if you have to keep it under your hat... that you eschew competitive greed, climbing the ladder of success on top of the backs of others. D:

Makes you want to move to a small town in WI, or similar, eh? o_O Maybe someday! I have reasons to want to uproot myself from where I am.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
People need money to pay for their homes, their food, their livliehood. Most of us are not billionaries or millionaries who have enough money that we do not need to worry about it. So, yes, people on this forum tend to be obsessed with money, because you would need to be insane or stupid not to be.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
People need money to pay for their homes, their food, their livliehood. Most of us are not billionaries or millionaries who have enough money that we do not need to worry about it. So, yes, people on this forum tend to be obsessed with money, because you would need to be insane or stupid not to be.

Indeed. There really is no choice.

I would definitely describe getting up and going to place you dislike and staying there for 40+hours a week well beyond obsession.

Most of the population is obsessed with money because that's essentially how the entirety of society measures everything, most importantly, feeding your family and keeping a roof over their head.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I would definitely describe getting up and going to place you dislike and staying there for 40+hours a week well beyond obsession.

that is an interesting way to think about it.

people i know have told me that i am obsessed with money because i try to spend as little as possible, so i can save over %50 of what i make

but thinking about it in the way you described, the people who told me this would be more obsessed than me!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Nope, but I'm somewhat obsessed with retiring as soon as possible with my preferred lifestyle.

ra1nman

Dec 9, 2007
yeah, i dont wax my car that much. and the place it's rusting from is from inside the wheel well on the inner panel. Waiting to see what the Honda regional rep says.

I had the same issue with my old 94' Accord (RIP) and an 03' MDX. I currently drive an 08' G35x and have a tiny rust spot on my trunk of all places but nowhere else.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
No. I'm not obsessed with anything. Food comes close...

KT

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Nope. I've been fortunate in my life and have generally been financially conservative. This has allowed me to not focus on it and instead focus on more important things like my family, my hobbies, my health, etc.