Are you more likely to wait for bulldozer now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
i don't understand why a lot of people think it's impossible to buy SB now. microcenter still sells the SB chips at the same low price that they were before the recall (according to their website). you can still buy the chips and boards on ebay. this obviously isn't a solution for everyone, but for an individual it is definitely viable. just don't use the sata 2 ports and you're set.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
i don't understand why a lot of people think it's impossible to buy SB now. microcenter still sells the SB chips at the same low price that they were before the recall (according to their website). you can still buy the chips and boards on ebay. this obviously isn't a solution for everyone, but for an individual it is definitely viable. just don't use the sata 2 ports and you're set.

The inconvenience and inflexibility kill that option for most people.

I planned on waiting for BD anyway, and am glad I am still waiting, ha.

Ertaz

Jul 26, 2004
Since you asked, no.

AMD = avoiding my desktop.

lol. First time I've heard that.

I put together my wife's I7 and love it. I am using my old A64 and would like to keep a PC from both camps in the house (so as not so show favoritism ;) ) I want to see if bulldozer gets close.....

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I think I'm going to get a Phenom II X2 955 and a cheap board.

I looked into it and bulldozer is almost certainly going to require a new chipset, not that I'm actually expecting anything earth shattering from it honestly. My plan was to go to SB, then buy a s775 DDR3 board pass my kind of lame e2160 @ 2.93 to my wife's machine and sell the other parts off for a few peanuts.

I hemmed and hawed about getting a new s775 + DDR3 board and moving the chip over...but then I'd be down while setting up the overclock again for too long of a time. So I thought of buying a new chip and selling the old stuff all...but I saw that s775 chips are still expensive and the DDR3 platforms for it are not to great. And if I was going to buy a new chip I'd get way more bang on the low end going AMD. So I think I'm going to dig up a little money for a small upgrade to sit on for awhile with the P II X2.