Are you kidding me?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol that's ridiculous. If they want to observe some thing like that go ahead and just delay processing the order, but to actually disable check out seems silly.

Same with sites that don't let you order something because it's out of stock, hate that. Just let me order it anyway and tell me it will be delayed.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have no problem with that. It is their business and they can choose what they want to do with it. It is just like Chik-filet being closed on Sunday.

Reactions: BarkingGhostar

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've bought from them many times, and they've done this as long I remember. Just like Chick-fil-a being closed on Sundays.

When they shut down for one of their holidays, they make sure their system can't process orders (conduct business / make money). It's their business, and if that's what they think they should do to observe their beliefs, obviously they are the ones to make the call on that.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Makes sense if the store is owned by Hasidic Jews and has lots of Orthodox Jewish employees.

Both sect are rather strict about following the 415 Mosaic Laws.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Take your business elsewhere? I knew about B&H observing Jewish holidays and I am not even in USA.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I have no problems with this. Didn't most US businesses used to close on Sundays?

I actually do order from the site and find them to be a highly reputable online retailer. And yes, I have hit a time where I wanted to order something, and they were on holiday. I forget what I did, but if I did need it right away, there are other online retailers, or just wait if it's not urgent.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have no problems with this. Didn't most US businesses used to close on Sundays?

I actually do order from the site and find them to be a highly reputable online retailer. And yes, I have hit a time where I wanted to order something, and they were on holiday. I forget what I did, but if I did need it right away, there are other online retailers, or just wait if it's not urgent.

Yes they did ... they were referred to as blue-laws, although in this case pretty sure they were closed on Saturday.

I've delivered computer equipment to and purchased stuff from B&H many years ago in NYC store, and more recently ordered online. Great selection and (mostly) fair prices, but overall very nice people and a pleasure to do business with.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Save 50% off your entire order! One day only! Order must be placed on Friday 8/17. Offer expires at 9:15p.m. ET on Saturday 8/18.

:p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have no problem with that. It is their business and they can choose what they want to do with it. It is just like Chik-filet being closed on Sunday.

point is, you don't need humans to approve automated checkout. An orthodox server is a stupid, pointless, petty idea.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Not your call. Their server, count as their work.

Somebody still needs to monitor that server to make sure that it's up. I wonder if they have to hire a non Jewish monitoring service for that.

I'd imagine that their "rules" say that they aren't allowed to do financial transactions during Shabbat, which is why they leave the site up but don't allow you to check out.

If B&H wanted to take Shabbat even more seriously, they should shut down the application server put up a static "Go away, we're at temple!" page :)

I kinda wish that I was allowed to ignore my servers on religious holidays, it would make my life a lot easier :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
point is, you don't need humans to approve automated checkout. An orthodox server is a stupid, pointless, petty idea.

Like religion makes any fucking sense anyway...
Remember the Catholic meatless Fridays? (like fish isn't another form of meat?)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Yeah also seems to be double standard. What about the computers running power plants and other infrastructure why arn't those orthodox? They should just shut down everything. :p

They can do what they want yes, but we're still allowed to criticize it. :p

I'm thinking the logic though is they don't want a huge backlog of orders so they shut down order taking altogether rather than letting the orders pile up for the next work day.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I'm thinking the logic though is they don't want a huge backlog of orders so they shut down order taking altogether rather than letting the orders pile up for the next work day.

Being cynical I think that is probably the true reason.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not your call. Their server, count as their work.

I guess. I also didn't realize this was B&H when I first responded, and really no problems with their service in the past. They've been doing this for a long time, so obviously their customer base has been fine with it for a long time. :D

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
5b8a9dc2fb8f18eaa4bd2251bc3353f3.jpg