• No!

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I hate that crap!!!!

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
This thread requires validation before posting.
Well, you could have gone and gotten validation before posting this thread, but it looks like you went and posted it anyway. :rolleyes:;)

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Define "human". According to science physically I meet all the requirements. Yet many of my thoughts and deeds are viewed as being subhuman. Where do you draw the line?

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Not once, but TWICE in my life I sank four putts of 30+ ft in a row. True story. One of the putts was around 100 ft. On difficult greens.

I'm not a great golfer and I've never practiced putting in my life. The odds of something like that happening once in a lifetime during the flow of a round of golf for a duffer like me is probably a zillion to one. Twice? Not calculable.

It's the best and only evidence I have that some mystical force beyond our comprehension controls our perception of reality. If an outside force controls that perception can we really be human as human is defined?

My only question is: Why did the force manifest itself in such a mundane way in my case? Why couldn't I have cured cancer or something?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not once, but TWICE in my life I sank four putts of 30+ ft in a row. True story. One of the putts was around 100 ft. On difficult greens.

I'm not a great golfer and I've never practiced putting in my life. The odds of something like that happening once in a lifetime during the flow of a round of golf for a duffer like me is probably a zillion to one. Twice? Not calculable.

It's the best and only evidence I have that some mystical force beyond our comprehension controls our perception of reality. If an outside force controls that perception can we really be human as human is defined?

My only question is: Why did the force manifest itself in such a mundane way in my case? Why couldn't I have cured cancer or something?
You were On, shall we say. Einstein said if we maintained the expanded perception of the child we could solve many of the most difficult problems in physics. You obviously read the greens extremely well those two times... for 4 30+ foot putts in a row each time. I've always said regarding putting, "it all starts with the read." How did it feel?

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
You were On, shall we say. Einstein said if we maintained the expanded perception of the child we could solve many of the most difficult problems in physics. You obviously read the greens extremely well those two times... for 4 30+ foot putts in a row each time. I've always said regarding putting, "it all starts with the read." How did it feel?

I regularly miss 3 ft putts after trying my best to read the break but on these two occasions I could just "see it'. It was very weird, waking up to the ball, hitting it, and watching it trickle in time after time. I can't explain it, and as soon as I missed it was gone.

The time I hit the 100 ft putt (I think its was the third of 4) my friend an I were playing with an older gentleman who joined up. I think he either almost had a stroke, became convinced that we were witches, or figured he was on candid camera. I still remember the look on his face.

I wonder why it was 4 putts on both occasions. Is there a time limit on these mystical experiences?

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I regularly miss 3 ft putts after trying my best to read the break but on these two occasions I could just "see it'. It was very weird, waking up to the ball, hitting it, and watching it trickle in time after time. I can't explain it, and as soon as I missed it was gone.

The time I hit the 100 ft putt (I think its was the third of 4) my friend an I were playing with an older gentleman who joined up. I think he either almost had a stroke, became convinced that we were witches, or figured he was on candid camera. I still remember the look on his face.

I wonder why it was 4 putts on both occasions. Is there a time limit on these mystical experiences?
Putting is one of my favorite parts of "the game." When I go to the course not to play but to practice I always start by putting, probably over 1/2 hour, then hit some balls (not a whole lot because my body will hurt... when I took it up at ~22 I would hit a large bucket 7 days a week), then have another good putting session before heading home.

I keep my putter in the kitchen and will sometimes (when I'm playing) just practice my stroke. You want a good feel with your putter.

The pros have their problems reading greens. You watch a pro tournament and it happens frequently, the announcers explain that they've been watching the players hit a certain put all day and it invariably misses left (or right). You might see the one guy who reads it right. You can usually tell if the ball behaves as "expected" by the putter.

Of course, I know a lot about the greens on my home course. But that doesn't negate for a second the overarching importance of reading the putt in the moment.

One of my best putting days ever was when I went with my brother and played a course I'd never seen. I had 27 putts total. My brother bragged for me at a party later that day about it. I obviously had to read the green/putt, never having played there. I suppose my short game, chipping were a big part of it. My brother used to say if he had my short game he would be playing in the 70's. I haven't played for around 6 months. I think the local courses are "open," but don't know how they're doing things with the pandemic going on. I will wait at least a month before even considering hitting a ball.