Are you happy where you are currently in life?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Now over 40.
Losing my hair.
Keep working out, gut keeps growing.
Wife isn't healthy.
All my $$$ is going to retirement, various types of insurance, and bills.
Stuck in a 8-5 cubicle job.
Most fun I have is sitting in my basement playing PC games for a couple of hours before I go to bed.

Yeah...not very happy, and don't see things changing any time soon.

Would it make you feel bad if I told you I'm 26 and have my own private office? Well, no but I can close the door on the studio and it's just me here today. Talking head lady is off on some training thing.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
No. Haven't been for more than a few months at most ever in my life. I have a hard time getting along with and trusting people. It doesn't help that I'm perceptive. I guess at least I have a job and my health.

I came from a small town with a lot of relatively poor, hostile people. I had a few friends but the people that were easiest to make friends with were the drug users. Most died or turned into thieves. I was the last of three children, and my parents didn't take an active interest in what I was doing with my life.

I went to college for computer science, transferred to another college and lost most of my credits, couldn't get enough help from the department teachers or heads there to continue CS and keep my grades up, so switched to fine arts to do animation. I regret that now.

I broke up with my fiance of three years after realizing that she really wasn't the one for me, and that has left me with no friends. I don't like living in Dallas. I'm not sure what the future holds for me.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Two thumbs up.

Also dmcowned's comment dropped everyone's IQ by 10 points

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
No. And if it gets even a little bit worse, I'm afraid of what will happen to me. Ever felt your life was in a downward spiral and you couldn't get back up?

I'm at the very bottom of that spiral. :(

Yeah I've been there and if you are truly at the bottom the only way to go is up so you should actually feel better now.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Yes, for the most part. I run my own business. I work a lot, but see the fruits of my labor every day. I pay myself a modest wage by ATOT's standards, but I nevertheless have a mortgage that has shrunk to under 35k, a car that's paid for, student loans that are paid for, and no other debt. I've been able to buy most of the things I've wanted for pleasure, and save a little besides that. I feel like I'm building a solid base for a good, trouble free life. Yet I'm still plagued by my inability to talk to and form relationships with women. I think this is something that wouldn't change no matter where I was in life. My job requires that I talk to all manner of people, including beautiful women on occasion, every day. My job requires that I convince these occasional beautiful women and everyone else to buy things from me, which I am quite good at by now. For some reason I can't sell myself like I can a product in my store, though one might think that talents for both would spring from the same place.

I any case, I am in as good a position as I ever could have expected to be, personal character flaws notwithstanding.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Yeah I've been there and if you are truly at the bottom the only way to go is up so you should actually feel better now.

theres a diff between hitting bottom and coming to on your living room floor after a nite of binging.

and coming to in a ditch somewhere.

you're not going to change w/the former. it's not rock bottom

Last edited:

Cookie

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001
Also, I let myself go through college, partying, cooking jobs, not playing sports and it sucked. Over the past year I got my shit together and lost 45 lbs, put on a decent amount of muscle and finally have some girls chasing me again. I will say that was/is the single biggest factor in my overall happiness. Crazy work and dedication at the gym, but completely worth it.

This was a HUGE factor in my happiness right now also. Lost 58 pounds in the last 15 months. Feeling so energetic and fit and getting so much positive attention and compliments now it's hard not to be happy.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Good job, good family, good house, cant complain, things are going well. Not, take two years off to fart around Europe well, but well.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Meh, you win some and lose some. I'd rather be doing a lot of other things in life right now, but sometimes you have to take the safe and secure route and stay the course.

Now, if I were 18 again and somehow shown how my life turned out at 41 (my current age), I'd do things much differently.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Nope. Fucking miserable.

Health insurance went into smoke today because I found out even though I am classified as full time by the VA, the fucking school doesn't think I am (Thus, I have to do a lot of sweet talking to my health insurance... which is ran by the fucking VA).

I'm taking three math classes and have a part time job that's only during weekdays. I'm busy most of the day and then at night... I have homework and insomnia to deal with.

The insomnia is the worst part. Can't stay asleep even though I take meds for it all now. Just keep throwing drugs at myself until I find a combo that works.

I feel fucking drained everyday and never feel anywhere near 'alert'. Most days I rather die than go on with the day, but I have to anyway.

So, am I fucking happy? Fuck no.

And guess what? I won't be fucking happy for a LONG FUCKING TIME.

SHIT IS PISSING ME OFF

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Nope. Fucking miserable.

Health insurance went into smoke today because I found out even though I am classified as full time by the VA, the fucking school doesn't think I am (Thus, I have to do a lot of sweet talking to my health insurance... which is ran by the fucking VA).

I'm taking three math classes and have a part time job that's only during weekdays. I'm busy most of the day and then at night... I have homework and insomnia to deal with.

The insomnia is the worst part. Can't stay asleep even though I take meds for it all now. Just keep throwing drugs at myself until I find a combo that works.

I feel fucking drained everyday and never feel anywhere near 'alert'. Most days I rather die than go on with the day, but I have to anyway.

SHIT IS PISSING ME OFF

And the best part? Once you get out in the work force and work for 20 years, you're going to wish you could go back and be a college kid. BADLY.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
And the best part? Once you get out in the work force and work for 20 years, you're going to wish you could go back and be a college kid. BADLY.

Doubt it. Stress by the time I get there will be long gone. By then, I am hoping I'll have most of my sleep troubles figured out and most other troubles figured. (I would do a sleep study already if it wasn't fucking $2000) Shit. By the time I've worked 20 years... I'll be livin' in a very nice area. Whereas now I live in a shithole of a city.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Doubt it. Stress by the time I get there will be long gone. By then, I am hoping I'll have most of my sleep troubles figured out and most other troubles figured. (I would do a sleep study already if it wasn't fucking $2000) Shit. By the time I've worked 20 years... I'll be livin' in a very nice area. Whereas now I live in a shithole of a city.

I live in a nice area. I have a nice big house. I have a job at a very well-known and sought after company. I'd still rather be 20 years younger and in college again. :D

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I live in a nice area. I have a nice big house. I have a job at a very well-known and sought after company. I'd still rather be 20 years younger and in college again. :D

I've never liked college. I don't socialize with people at my college almost at all. I live pretty independently of it. So, to me, college isn't really anything but a job. It's also a job that strictly judges you on performance in a single hour rather than performance in a whole term.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Have a great job, great house, great wife, and great kids.

I'd like for my career to take the next step and move into a role that revolves more around architecture of IT systems rather than implementation but even if that doesn't happen for a while, I can't complain too much about where I am today, especially when I consider how my career was 3 years ago.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
Nope. Fucking miserable.

SHIT IS PISSING ME OFF

sorry to hear all that Trident... don't give up, persevere, and one day I'm sure you'll get to a better place in life! i consider myself blessed that my life is good... perfect? no. sure, there's stress and time constraints, but still good in many many ways. just keep your eye on the goal and you'll get there soon.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
When I think about where I could be right now if I had my shit together, I think things suck pretty bad. But when I think about how the improvements I've made in my life compared to previous years, I'm pretty happy with my life in that context. I wasted a lot of time just being completely stupid and irresponsible, and it took a while to reverse that. Now I have my own little very very affordable apartment with no debt and I see good possibilities in the work life, I have a steady job unionized with good benefits and lots of opportunities. My job causes me 0 stress, I don't have a commute (15-20 min walk), most everyone there is friggin awesome to work with so it's good. Been there over a year and I still feel the same way.

Social life is pretty dead, but I'm kind of just like that. I prefer a quiet social life, I only go out once in a while and I don't keep a lot of people close. I have plenty of acquaintances, but I spend most of my free time either alone or with the gf and I like it that way. I make time for family on a regular basis, I take pleasure in being nice to everyone and taking things easy.

I'm 28 now and I basically don't have any significant savings and have only traveled to a couple places, so that's kind of crappy, but there's tons of awesome things to do right where I live so I'm not too bummed about it. Life is pretty care free, no kids, no huge financial burdens, no health problems yet, still look pretty good even though I sit down at work all day and don't really exercise. I guess I can't complain about a whole lot.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Nah, you'd be surprised how much better life gets after college. If it does not, you picked the wrong job. :biggrin:

When I was in college I could not wait to go work. I did not HATE it per say, I think out of all school career it was the best part, but I was just getting sick of doing worthless work and being graded on everything I do. Now I just have to do my job, which has a purpose, get paid for it, and as long as I do that job, everyone is happy. If someone is not, then they are in the wrong, and I am backed up by my boss.

Work world is not as bad as people try to make it sound like. I remember when in high school teachers would always use the scare tactics of how horrible college is, I got there, it was actually easier than high school. In College they'd stress how horrible the work world was. Now that I'm here, it's a piece of cake.

Making monies is fun too.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Nah, you'd be surprised how much better life gets after college. If it does not, you picked the wrong job. :biggrin:

When I was in college I could not wait to go work. I did not HATE it per say, I think out of all school career it was the best part, but I was just getting sick of doing worthless work and being graded on everything I do. Now I just have to do my job, which has a purpose, get paid for it, and as long as I do that job, everyone is happy. If someone is not, then they are in the wrong, and I am backed up by my boss.

Work world is not as bad as people try to make it sound like. I remember when in high school teachers would always use the scare tactics of how horrible college is, I got there, it was actually easier than high school. In College they'd stress how horrible the work world was. Now that I'm here, it's a piece of cake.

Making monies is fun too.

So young and naive ;)