Are you guys this honest......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
When I was young, I'd take stuff.

Now I just give it back. It sucks to mature. :p
It's also a bit easier to be a goody-two-shoes like me when you have a decent job and don't need the money.

Now a bag filled with free time would be tempting, I could use a lot more of that :) :(

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Unkempt1
I probably would have returned it as well. I would have felt bad knowing that I had kept $3,000 that belonged to someone else. Who knows, perhaps they had something very important to do with that money.

Yeah, no gettin high for a while.

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
I would have returned it, but she should have at least given him a tip of 15%, I mean, $20? Come on now...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
just because someone has money doesn't mean they can afford to split with it.

For all we know this could be all the money the lady has and is carrying it because she doesn't have an address that she can use at a bank.

Å

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
A better question would be what if you were making minimum wage and found a purse stuffed with 3 grand

Now, I would return it no questions asked(found one a couple of weeks ago outside my apartment building) Poverty has away of lowering morality

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Returned it. Unlike some people my principles cost a little more than $3k to be bought.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
if he had taken a handful, and she later realized it-- what kind of trouble could he get in? (not a rhetorical question)

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Originally posted by: Howard
When I was young, I'd take stuff.

Now I just give it back. It sucks to mature. :p
It's also a bit easier to be a goody-two-shoes like me when you have a decent job and don't need the money.

Now a bag filled with free time would be tempting, I could use a lot more of that :) :(

I'd pay $3000 for a bag of free time....

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: bigalt
if he had taken a handful, and she later realized it-- what kind of trouble could he get in? (not a rhetorical question)

Someone else could have found it first and took some money...so none

LeStEr

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: amdskip
I'd turn it in with no question.

Me too morals are too strong. As much as I would like to keep the stupid b|tches money I just wouldnt be able to do it. On the other hand when she came over to offer me the $20 for doing it I would be more then happy to tell her to cram it up her ass considering I just saved her from losing $3000.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Who the hell walks around with $3k in cash in their purse?

She was from out of town...

obviously a drug mule

EXACTLY what I was thinking. I would hold onto it for a while and think about it. You would think someone who lost 3k would report it and it would probably make the 10 oclock news, unless they're dealing.

LeStEr

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: Nebor
She only gave him $20.... Ridiculous. She should have given him an M3.

EDIT: But she'll get hers when all the press causes the IRS to wonder why she has thousands of dollars in a purse.
You're kidding, right? He didn't even deserve the $20. People do NOT deserve a reward for doing exactly what should be done. Rewards are for going above and beyond the call of duty, this definitely does not qualify.

It's a sad, sad statement about current society that people think rewards are required for normal, decent behaviour. It doesn't say much good about a person if he demands monetary compensation to be a decent human being.

ZV

I disagree. Most people these days wouldnt think twice about taking a purse in the same situation (as shown in this thread). Anyone who shows enough honesty and decency to return something like this should definitely be rewarded.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I would have returned the purse and although a reward would not in any way be expected, it would be appreciated and would be accepted.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: LeStEr
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: Nebor
She only gave him $20.... Ridiculous. She should have given him an M3.

EDIT: But she'll get hers when all the press causes the IRS to wonder why she has thousands of dollars in a purse.
You're kidding, right? He didn't even deserve the $20. People do NOT deserve a reward for doing exactly what should be done. Rewards are for going above and beyond the call of duty, this definitely does not qualify.

It's a sad, sad statement about current society that people think rewards are required for normal, decent behaviour. It doesn't say much good about a person if he demands monetary compensation to be a decent human being.

ZV
I disagree. Most people these days wouldnt think twice about taking a purse in the same situation (as shown in this thread). Anyone who shows enough honesty and decency to return something like this should definitely be rewarded.
So we should re-enforce the idea that honesty and decency are dead by rewarding behaviours that should be expected? I think not.

Honesty and decency are NOT RELATIVE. It doesn't matter one iota what you think "other people" would do. Rewarding behaviour that should be expected only results in people eventually refusing to perform expected behaviour unless they get some sort of "treat". You may be prepared to accept that decline, I am not.

ZV

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Y'know, it's possible that she offered him MORE money, but he talked her down to $20. It's not like the media is well-known for reporting all the facts.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
How pathetic it is to see that people expect something in return for doing something right. I would have refused the $20.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Descartes
How pathetic it is to see that people expect something in return for doing something right. I would have refused the $20.

Nowhere does it say that he "expected" a reward. As I mentioned earlier it was a nice gesture by the lady to give the kid 20 bucks, but the "reward" may not have been expected and he may have tried to turn it down, the lady insisted, so he just said, "thanks" and took the 20.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Staley8

Nowhere does it say that he "expected" a reward. As I mentioned earlier it was a nice gesture by the lady to give the kid 20 bucks, but the "reward" may not have been expected and he may have tried to turn it down, the lady insisted, so he just said, "thanks" and took the 20.

I'm talking about all the gluttons in this thread. I have no problem with the fact that the kid took $20, but I do have a problem with the fact that so many here think the woman should've given him a lot more.

The same situation applies to a thread a LONG time ago where a cab driver (I think) returned a million dollar cello to the musician. Everyone complained that he only received a few hundred dollars for such an expensive item. The reward should be appreciation, and it shouldn't be relative to the value of the item returned. It's great if they decide to give anything.

It's just sad that honesty is so unexpected that people feel it requires compensation.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Staley8

I'm talking about all the gluttons in this thread. I have no problem with the fact that the kid took $20, but I do have a problem with the fact that so many here think the woman should've given him a lot more.

The same situation applies to a thread a LONG time ago where a cab driver (I think) returned a million dollar cello to the musician. Everyone complained that he only received a few hundred dollars for such an expensive item. The reward should be appreciation, and it shouldn't be relative to the value of the item returned. It's great if they decide to give anything.

It's just sad that honesty is so unexpected that people feel it requires compensation.

ahh, I see, so we're pretty much coming from the same angle then and think the same thing in regards to "rewards"

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
part-time bagger at a Publix grocery story in St. Augustine, Fla., proved his honesty when he turned in a purse filled with thousands of dollars.
Good for him.:)