Are you going to build an Eyefinity setup?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dev0lution

Dec 23, 2004
No, because bezels are distracting and even as someone who uses multiple monitors for 2D all day, calibrating multiple monitors (sometimes even the same models - QC FTW!) is a hassle. Give me a single 30" or larger any day over this...

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Yes, let's take a cheap TN panel and multiple it by 3 or more to get a whole lot of ultra high rez crap with bars separating each screen. Sounds great.

I'll build an eyefinity setup... when OLED monitors are ~$200 in 13 years.

Right now, this is the right idea; for computer monitors anyway.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Patrick Wolf
Yes, let's take a cheap TN Right now, this is the right idea; for computer monitors anyway.

A 56" display with lower res than my 30", no thanks.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I want to, but I won't, at least not right away. Two issues, one is cost, three monitors plus videocard, second is heat from the monitors. I've got two 24" running and they really heat up the room, no way I would add another one.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I can't stand multiple monitors, and I surely don't want the gaps in between each monitor when playing first person shooters. I'm just waiting for 30" monitors to come down in price a bit. I tried using my 1080p 42" t.v. as a monitor, and didn't care for it. Right now 24" seems big enough for my computer desk, so I see no rush to get anything else. I'd rather have multiple computers so I can swivel around like my office is a command post. (It is, I have three pc's within arms reach)

I see it as a novelty, only for the rich or the true geeks :p

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
honestly guys, if you can make it so you can compensate for the pixel count that the bezels take up it is almost a non issue. It's one thing if the image doesn't line up because the system doesn't know there are bezels between the monitors. If you can actually account for the space you won't even notice it.

Do some research about softTH and you will see wjat I am talking about. On my setup, rooughlt 120 pixels is what the bezels take up. I plug that into the config file and viola. It's like flying an old plane with the cockpit divided into panes.

I'll admit that if you can't account for the bezels it would suck as the image will jump on to the next screen and so forth.

edit

just did a little snooping and found this in here

"Although the demo we saw today was based on conventional Dell 30" monitors, AMD has been working with Samsung on Eyefinity support and has plans involving monitors with very narrow bezels, so that many displays can act together as one with a minimum of visual interruption. The company may also incorporate a feature in its graphics drivers to compensate for the visual offsets caused by bezels. Still, if this takes off, three-display setups will almost certainly be the most popular variation, because four- and six-display configs will have the display edges interruputing the dead-center focal point?where the crosshair goes in first-person shooters, among other things."

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: ZimZum
Yes, let's take a cheap TN Right now, this is the right idea; for computer monitors anyway.

That's why I said for computer monitors you dunce. A monitor of that size with that aspect would have a much higher resolution than 2560 x 1080.

And I'm guessing your 30" isn't a TN.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If I can use my existing monitors (4960x1600 20/30/20 setup) then yes I'll consider it.

Viper GTS

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithP
I doubt developers will make much use of the extra field of view other than to show extra landscape that is completely pointless to playing the actual game. The Crysis video is a good example. When they show an indoor shot, the extra monitors show you walls. It doesn't really buy you much. Not to mention performance issues.

The bezels are a problem as well but I am sure some manufacturers will solve that problem with thinner bezel displays or maybe a single unit with 3 panels with virtually no bezels.

Personally, I much rather spend the extra money and get a high quality 46"-55" 1080P LCD or plasma display for gaming.

-KeithP

extra FOV will give you a huge advantage in being able to spot things more quickly in your periphery

sure, you could force an extended FOV onto a single screen but that usually ends up with a highly disorienting fish-eye effect that would nauseate most players

That's why I said for computer monitors you dunce. A monitor of that size with that aspect would have a much higher resolution than 2560 x 1080.

its also meant to be viewed from further away

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001

LOL, you obviously know nothing about display tech if you think a TN panel is a good thing.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005

LOL, you obviously know nothing about display tech if you think a TN panel is a good thing.

You obviously have piss poor comprehension if didn't understand what I meant by saying "high rez crap" in reguards to TN's.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
From what I understood from the AMD slides, you won't be able to have 2xDVI + HDMI at once... Now that sucks! :( Here's the slide showing what combinations are possible.

So no 2xLCD and HDTV at once (unless I get a second LCD with DisplayPort)... This sucks a lot ! Especially when you consider that flexibility chart they showed here.