Are you for, or against the Patriot Act?

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
For research purposes, it is necessary for me to include political party options as well. Feel free to state what your reasons are for your opinon. Thanks for your input.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If you look at the history of the passage of the Patroit act, it was passed following the hysteria of 911
and was passed even before it was written. Its a big brother dream and that is what it has become.
The courts should strike it down as unconstitutional.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I am against it, for the very simple reason that the cost/benefit analysis of the Patriot Act is not in our favor. We are giving significantly expanded powers to our police and intelligence agencies without receiving any significant additional safety. I'm not just blowing smoke either, the conclusion of the 9/11 commission and others has been that the security problems leading up to 9/11 did not stem from a lack of police power, but from other factors, most of which have yet to be effectivly addressed.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Other/Not in favor.

It's a good representation of what is wrong with our government (see Rainsford's post), as it currently operates, as our superior, rather than our servant.

Shortass

May 13, 2004
I'm against pretty much any legislation that will increase the government's presence and power. While we may need to boost our defense in airports and other mass transportation, I fail to see the benefit of the Patriot Act and am thoroughly opposed to our administration and most forseeable ones for the next decade or so.

Oh, and I'm republican.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for your input. I am also against it, mainly for some of the same reasons stated hear. It gives the government agencies too much power.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Both the FBI and the CIA have a long history of abusing their powers when they comitted many illegal acts. Hoover, for example, spied on so many Americans, and had so much on virtually everybody, that no one have the guts to rein him in. The CIA repeatedly violated its basic charter and operated against Americans on U.S. soil. I see no reason that they could be expected to be any better with greatly expanded powers. As a matter of fact, I find the current Administration to be the least trustworthy in memory.

I also agree with Rainsford, the benefit is small. The risk is great for us; both individually and collectively. A poor value indeed!

morkinva

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
911/Patriot Act is a classic example of the Hegelian dialectic,
thesis+antithesis-->synthesis. The antithesis is applied to the thesis to generate a desired synthesis. The synthesis is not desired by those who will accept the antithesis, but by those who put this plan into action.

The thesis is our vulnerability as evidenced by the 911 attack. The antithesis is the patriot act(s), which will remove this vulnerability and 'make us safe'. The synthesis is the resulting increase of control over the community, edging us closer to a police state. Increased control and monitoring, more accurate taxing for travel, biometric ID's, etc.

It is an Edward Bernays style propoganda tool; we are too stupid and dangerous to live without state control. The name itself suggests that any thought to denounce it makes you a traitor -- what... you aren't a patriot??!

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm in favor of parts, and against other parts.

I want all parts sunsetted, i want shorter lengths of time before a search should be disclosed or requires judicial approval, so more or less the Senate Democratic/reasonable Republican version.

so i voted yes, Democrat.

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005
I've tried to post to this thread like 10 times, and halfway through my DSL connection keeps dropping. When I pick up the telephone to check, I get a dialtone, but I can also hear people breathing and maybe talking in the background under the hiss of the cordless. I live alone and only have one phone extension...

I suspect that it's really jsmvo sf 0sfve-==zxr fis i86f s visd qwedlkp'nfeyqwoij98g