Are You Better Off Now than You were 4 Years Ago?

Are You Better Off Now than You were 4 Years Ago?

• Better off

• Worse off

• About the same

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
I am actually substantially better off than I was 4 years ago :biggrin:

I think it's kind of odd that Repubs are the ones saying this. Four years ago, the global economy was in freefall. How could anyone think that a full-blown economic meltdown is better than this tepid recovery? Do they really want the remind America of the last Repub president that screwed up the economy 4 years ago?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I am actually substantially better off than I was 4 years ago :biggrin:

I think it's kind of odd that Repubs are the ones saying this. Four years ago, the global economy was in freefall. How could anyone think that a full-blown economic meltdown is better than this tepid recovery? Do they really want the remind America of the last Repub president that screwed up the economy 4 years ago?

Another government worker tells the private sector to fuck off and thanks for the phat check suckers.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Yeah, I'm better of, but not because our prez politics, but simply because few engineering degrees have paid off. On global scheme of things, it's different story.

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
Another government worker tells the private sector to fuck off and thanks for the phat check suckers.

Government worker? You have no clue what you are talking about. I work and the private sector and I am doing very well. :biggrin:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
How random people are doing on this forum seems more relevant to OT.

For the average voter, employment numbers and wages are the economy. It's not necessarily a fair argument, but Obama has presided over high unemployment.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

The average voter's opinion of things tends to lag the numbers too. So even if the crisis started on Bush's watch, and even if it was Bush's fault, it has really hit home since then.

Anyway, what should matter is what the solutions each candidate is proposing. Unfortunately, neither has really suggested anything that will plausibly turn things around.

Feb 10, 2000
I am in the private sector and significantly better off than I was 4 years ago. I don't really credit the President, or the government as a whole, in any way for that fact, however.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Better off and improving every month. The collapse of the real estate market hurt my business greatly, and the stock market fiasco sure didn't help my net worth (to put it mildly) but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Yes, I'm better off. I took a new position with company and this past year they gave a very nice raise to persuade me to stay with the company. This has more to do with my experience and company needs than what any President can claim responsibily.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I am in the private sector and significantly better off than I was 4 years ago. I don't really credit the President, or the government as a whole, in any way for that fact, however.

so, if central banking authorities and governments had not pumped trillions of dollars into the world economy, you think the private sector would have been unaffected ?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Yes, I'm better off. I took a new position with company and this past year they gave a very nice raise to persuade me to stay with the company. This has more to do with my experience and company needs than what any President can claim responsibily.

You didn't do that by yourself! If the government had not built the infrastructure for your new company you would not have been hired.

Feb 10, 2000
so, if central banking authorities and governments had not pumped trillions of dollars into the world economy, you think the private sector would have been unaffected ?

No - I think it certainly would have affected the private sector generally, but I don't think it would have made a great deal of difference in my particular case.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Why do we ask stupid short term questions? And ask if I was better off 2 years or 4 years ago than I am now.

When public policy matters, on a far larger time scale!

When I was born in 1948, the USA was the greatest nations on earth, based on strong unions, a rising middle class, and high corporate taxes that provided 50% of US tax revenues. And if your doctor told you your heath was as sound as the dollar, it meant something positive.

Now here I am, in 2012, and if my doctor tells me my health is as sound as a dollar, its time for me to plan my immediate funeral. As the middle class has gone into the shitter along with Unions, US corporations pay no taxes, and all national wealth consentrates in only the top 1/2 percent. As American jobs are outsourced over seas.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I make more money than i did 4 years ago. Also, my 401k and other investments are much better off.

Fuck you republican morons for trying to bring back bush version 2.0 into the whitehouse.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Better off than 4 years ago? Yes

Better off than 5+ years ago? No...not even close.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I got the latest iPhone and paid cash.
So hell yea. I am. We all should be.
If for no other reason, we haven't had a tax payer funded wall street bailout in four years. Nor have our 401K stocks hit rock bottom, as once experienced.

Come-on people. Mittens has no plan or desire to do one hoot in creating jobs nor cutting the size of government nor reducing the national debt.
He (they) desperately want in to attack every social issue in sight.
They've proven that their only goal since we were all fooled back in 2010.
Fool me once, shame on me, you, me?
Fool me twice, shame on ma, ya, well ya ca't be fooled again.
(unquote)

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Yes, I'm better off. I wouldn't credit the government though but rather smart choices on my part.

I do give credit to the Federal Reserve for properly handling the economy despite what those on capitol hill are trying to do.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Its not whether you are better off now than 4 years ago, its whether you will be better or worse off 4 years from now.

TheSpy007

May 29, 2003
I am better off. 4 years ago i finished school and could not find a job. Now i have a decent IT job, health care, live in my own place.