Are you afraid of the dentist?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Based on the professions people want to wipe out thread I am gathering that there are a fair number of people here who are terrified of the dentist.

Granted I was probably among their ranks until I finally found a great one that didn't remind me of the movie Marathon Man.

What say you?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Yes, but only because last time I was there, he tried to give me "the gas" for only a cleaning. He said I looked like I could use some "sleepy time" and that I wouldnt feel a thing.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Yes. I tell the dentist that he'd better knock me completely out or everyone will be calling him nubs. My gag and bite relfex are dangerous.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: OCguy
Yes, but only because last time I was there, he tried to give me "the gas" for only a cleaning. He said I looked like I could use some "sleepy time" and that I wouldnt feel a thing.

never heard of that before...that is one scary dentist :Q

Heller

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2006
yes,i smoke before and i take a prescribed xanax, i hate the dentist.

Heller

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Baked
No. And I prefer the needle. Gas is for sissies.

watch it, that gas is badass, best euphoric legal high in the most un-expecting place.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade

My thoughts exactly. The costco-sized bottle of Jergens in the corner was just too much. I left.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
Not afraid, but quite certain that some are willing to claim a cavity exists when it does not - if their boat payment is due.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Nope, I like going to the dentist. :) I like getting my teeth cleaned by a dental hygienist. I haven't been in over a year though because we don't have health insurance now. :( I want my teeth cleaned... I liked going in for my 6 month checkups.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade

I think you meant "awesome"
Then again, my dentist is cute...

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
No, more annoyed than afraid because the hygienists are never careful around the gums. They'll be scraping downward with the metal pick when it slips and jams into my gums.
Then when they floss they'll push down instead of rocking it back and forth. Since my teeth are fairly tight together they'll push down, straining to get it between my teeth, then all of a sudden it slides through and jams into my gums once again.
When I was a kid they'd let me take a little plastic toy out of a wicker treasure basket after my appointment was over. They need to bring that back for adults but adjust the prizes appropriately.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I'm not afraid of the dentist, I just don't like it when they get all snarky about me not flossing frequently enough or whatever. Luckily I changed offices and everyone there is pretty awesome. The hygienist explained everything she did while she was working on my teeth and it was very interesting.

Feb 19, 2001
Afraid of them telling me I have a cavity. cleaning? nope. Easy stuff. I just relax through the whole thing. I just gagged a little on my own saliva this time and when he turned around I swear a wad of spit shot up like a geyser and landed on my face. I wiped it off quickly and swallowed the rest. Damn the guy made me open my mouth for a freaking long time and didn't use the air suction thing.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
No... she's kind of hot and extremely gentle. It's only when they tell me that I have a cavity, and they'll have to drill a hole down to the root that I piss my pants.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I'm not scared but I hate going there because they always find something wrong with my teeth. I was there a few weeks ago and now I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
My last dental visit was alright but seems like every time I walk out with a headache from the noise of the equipment and lights. I also can never do the xrays right and they insist on shoving there fingers way back in my throat while i have a very sensitive gag reflex. I've puked up on 2 dental assistants who thought the little thing they put in for you to bite on "only needs to go back a little further"

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Afraid of them telling me I have a cavity. cleaning? nope. Easy stuff. I just relax through the whole thing. I just gagged a little on my own saliva this time and when he turned around I swear a wad of spit shot up like a geyser and landed on my face. I wiped it off quickly and swallowed the rest. Damn the guy made me open my mouth for a freaking long time and didn't use the air suction thing.
He was probably getting sick pleasure off your misery.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
It's pretty dumb when people add ridiculous poll options. Yes and No would have been fine.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would not really say I'm afraid (I was when I was a kid) but I really don't enjoy it. Just the playing in the mouth part and what not. Proceedures such as adding filling or polishing really bother me too. What actually bothers me the most is the tooth picking they do though. It seems no matter how well I brush my teeth they will always find plaque. I've also been getting cavities in past few years which require another appointment. I really need to quit pepsi... it's really bad for the teeth.