Are you a Republican?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Testing your Republican credentials

By Dan Payne | August 21, 2004

RU GOP? With only nine days until Republican convention, look at
statements below. If you agree with any one of them, you belong in New York. (Some items from anonymous Internet sources.)

[*]We never attack John Kerry's combat heroism; that's what we pay crackpot Kerry-hating veterans group to do.

[*]If senior citizens want cheaper drug prices from Canada, they should move to Canada.

[*]Major oil corporations should shape American energy policy. Even if it means highest gasoline prices ever.

[*]We should not pay our United Nations dues; Secretary of State Colin Powell didn't mean to lie to UN about WMD; but now UN should bail George Bush's sorry behind out of Iraq.

[*]Donald Rumsfeld is doing terrific job as Pentagon boss -- if you ignore his being suckered by turncoat Ahmed Chalabi who said grateful Iraqis would welcome American liberators. Ignore 953 US soldiers dead and 5,976 wounded; and 12,000 Iraq civilians killed. Ignore Abu Ghraib prison abuses. And ignore that troops going to Iraq had to buy own costly body armor, then weld scrap metal onto thin-skinned Humvees. - my personal favorite ;)

[*]Dick Cheney was right to ridicule John Kerry for saying he'd be "sensitive" in fighting war. Cheney also right same day when he said on radio that battle in Najaf "is obviously a sensitive area, and we are very much aware of its sensitivity."

[*]Firing American workers and sending their jobs to India is unavoidable economic dislocation. Laid-off manufacturing workers don't mind asking, "Would you like fries with that?"

[*]Women can't be trusted with decisions about their own bodies, but multi-national corporations like Halliburton can make life and death decisions without regulation.

[*]Jesus loves you, and shares your hatred of homosexuals.

[*]Being drug addict is moral failing and crime, unless you're conservative radio host. Then it's illness and we pray for your recovery.

[*]Group sex and drug use are sins unless you are Republican governor of Cauli-fornia.

[*]If condoms aren't in schools, adolescents won't have sex.

[*]Global warming is junk science, but creationism should be taught in public schools.

[*]One president lying about extramarital affair was grounds for impeachment. Another president lying about reasons to go to war should be reelected.

[*]Courts should not write new rights into Constitution. But rewriting Constitution to deny the rights of gay Americans is OK.

[*]It could take years before stem cell research will help with Alzheimer's, MS, and Parkinson's. Why start now? (Thanks, "Daily Show.")

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Gaard
Testing your Republican credentials

By Dan Payne | August 21, 2004

RU GOP? With only nine days until Republican convention, look at
statements below. If you agree with any one of them, you belong in New York. (Some items from anonymous Internet sources.)

[*]We never attack John Kerry's combat heroism; that's what we pay crackpot Kerry-hating veterans group to do.

[*]If senior citizens want cheaper drug prices from Canada, they should move to Canada.

[*]Major oil corporations should shape American energy policy. Even if it means highest gasoline prices ever.

[*]We should not pay our United Nations dues; Secretary of State Colin Powell didn't mean to lie to UN about WMD; but now UN should bail George Bush's sorry behind out of Iraq.

[*]Donald Rumsfeld is doing terrific job as Pentagon boss -- if you ignore his being suckered by turncoat Ahmed Chalabi who said grateful Iraqis would welcome American liberators. Ignore 953 US soldiers dead and 5,976 wounded; and 12,000 Iraq civilians killed. Ignore Abu Ghraib prison abuses. And ignore that troops going to Iraq had to buy own costly body armor, then weld scrap metal onto thin-skinned Humvees. - my personal favorite ;)

[*]Dick Cheney was right to ridicule John Kerry for saying he'd be "sensitive" in fighting war. Cheney also right same day when he said on radio that battle in Najaf "is obviously a sensitive area, and we are very much aware of its sensitivity."

[*]Firing American workers and sending their jobs to India is unavoidable economic dislocation. Laid-off manufacturing workers don't mind asking, "Would you like fries with that?"

[*]Women can't be trusted with decisions about their own bodies, but multi-national corporations like Halliburton can make life and death decisions without regulation.

[*]Jesus loves you, and shares your hatred of homosexuals.

[*]Being drug addict is moral failing and crime, unless you're conservative radio host. Then it's illness and we pray for your recovery.

[*]Group sex and drug use are sins unless you are Republican governor of Cauli-fornia.

[*]If condoms aren't in schools, adolescents won't have sex.

[*]Global warming is junk science, but creationism should be taught in public schools.

[*]One president lying about extramarital affair was grounds for impeachment. Another president lying about reasons to go to war should be reelected.

[*]Courts should not write new rights into Constitution. But rewriting Constitution to deny the rights of gay Americans is OK.

[*]It could take years before stem cell research will help with Alzheimer's, MS, and Parkinson's. Why start now? (Thanks, "Daily Show.")

Pretty much all of those are partisan crap. And many of them I do agree with, so I guess that does make me a republican.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Crimson
Pretty much all of those are partisan crap. And many of them I do agree with, so I guess that does make me a republican.
Or an idiot.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
It's a crying shame the entire GOP has fallen under the spell of the neocons. The Grand Ole Party is nothing but vindictive hypocrites now.

:(

cpumaster

Dec 10, 2000
I saw that on Daily Show too, I am sorry tho for Laura, being sent to do his husband's rightwing religious zealots bidding...
I love it when John put it in non-partisan-logically-funny way, roughly summarized:
It's misleading that the cure is almost found, they are still years away, so why start now? Why gave those poor bastards any hope...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I understand the point of the article, however I know of people who identify with stated Rep. party philosophy, but have problems with it's execution.

Reps do not equal conservatism, nor Dems. liberalism. For that matter what liberals and conservatives stand for shifts over time. It seems to me that we are mostly shifting to the right. I suppose I am considered a liberal by some standards these days although I used to think of myself as more conservative.

All that to say that I know of many Republicans who are quietly dismayed over Bush and the hard right turn the party has taken. They have been around long enough to see those changes I mentioned. Greed and the lust for power while using the Flag, mom and apple pie as they used to say offends them.
Many will vote for Bush, because they are not pro abortion, and are afraid of too much govt. intervention. They don't like their choices.

They aren't talked about much it seems. They aren't "anybody but Bush" because that means Kerry in reality, and they can't support him. It will be a sad day for them to vote for Dub, but they have a Hobson's choice as far as they see it. Some aren't going to vote for the first time ever. That's too bad.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Zephyr106
Originally posted by: Runner20
Is this left wing propaganda??

You would make Stalin proud.

LOL yeah that Stalin was real liberal on most issues!

Zephyr

actually he was, and still has much in common with the liberals of today politically.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
It's a crying shame the entire GOP has fallen under the spell of the neocons. The Grand Ole Party is nothing but vindictive hypocrites now.

Ah, so now can we officially call you a Democrat Conjur? Now that you've fully dismissed the entire GOP? Or are you still a "bush-hating disenfranchised republican" who just happens to despise the entire party but fully supports the other party?

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Stalin was liberal??

My God how brainwashed have some people become.

For future reference Stalin was an authoritarian. Which is what either a conservative or liberal becomes when gaining too much power. They are no longer a conservative or liberal.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize

Ah, so now can we officially call you a Democrat Conjur? Now that you've fully dismissed the entire GOP? Or are you still a "bush-hating disenfranchised republican" who just happens to despise the entire party but fully supports the other party?

Ever heard of a third party person?

Runner20

May 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28

Yeah, the year will be 2560 when a third party candidate will get elected

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28

Yeah, the year will be 2560 when a third party candidate will get elected

What the holy hell does that have to do with it? So what, you can't support a third party because their chance of getting elected is slim at this point? /dismiss

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK
Originally posted by: Zephyr106
Is this left wing propaganda??

You would make Stalin proud.

LOL yeah that Stalin was real liberal on most issues!

Zephyr

actually he was, and still has much in common with the liberals of today politically.

Well Bush certainly has some things in common with Smokin' Joe Stalin. He seeks to lock up people without charge, trial or place a limit on that detention. He is nationalistic. He uses violence to attack those he wishes to subjugate.

Ayup, he's your boy.

Perhaps libs seek to redistribute wealth in a way you don't like. Bush merely causes people to be incarcerated without trial, and likes war a great deal.

I'll take some taxes and peace over a 300 tax rebate and war. Thanks for playing.

rextilleon

Feb 19, 2004
Everyone should read Pat Buchanan's new book--(think its coming out this week). Buchanan, attacks the neo-conservatives and in the process completely destroys the foundation of their theory. Buchanan makes the claim that the Bushites are in fact not conservatives, but a hybrid of many things that exists merely to hold office. Conservative doctrine is clear.

1. Avoid foreign entanglements
2. Govt should be small
3. States rights (in the case of the Gay marriage Ammendment) he ridcules the neo-conservatives for trying to ammend the Constitution.
4. Balanced budget
5. Tight immigration policies

Bush fails miserably in pretty much all the categories. BUsh supporters should not call themselves conservatives.

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
Originally posted by: rextilleon
Everyone should read Pat Buchanan's new book--(think its coming out this week). Buchanan, attacks the neo-conservatives and in the process completely destroys the foundation of their theory. Buchanan makes the claim that the Bushites are in fact not conservatives, but a hybrid of many things that exists merely to hold office. Conservative doctrine is clear.

1. Avoid foreign entanglements
2. Govt should be small
3. States rights (in the case of the Gay marriage Ammendment) he ridcules the neo-conservatives for trying to ammend the Constitution.
4. Balanced budget
5. Tight immigration policies

Bush fails miserably in pretty much all the categories. BUsh supporters should not call themselves conservatives.

YES!

cpumaster

Dec 10, 2000
I think what Bush and his supporters believe isn't conservatism, but Bushism, it's about how to help Bush cling to power longer with any means necessary, sort of like modern democracy fused/corrupted with monarchy-dictatorial concept