Are you a Boardgamer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TechieZer0
There are quite a few online interfaces to play many of these awesome games including Seidler Von Catan (Settlers). I am here at work and I don't have the links handy but I know one of them is named something like Brettswelt or something like that.

You guys should also join the Spielfrieks Yahoo group. Many game designers participate in the discussions on that forum.

Really? Does Mark Rein-Hagen? I wouldn't mind hearing straight from the horse's mouth what happened to his innovative Z-G Interaction figures....

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: LordJezo
I asked this question last year and everyone said no.

Current favorite is Battle Cry. Awesome civil war game. It's great because it's only 2 players and I doubt I could ever find more then that at one time. I reccomend anyone looking for a good 2 player game should try it

I am trying to get people into Axis and Allies but again, the problem of getting 4 people around at the same time is hard as hell.

Why can't you just play Axis and Allies with 2 people? My friend and I always did.

Was it any good with 2 players? From what I always found / told it wasnt too much fun with out more people.

Jan 9, 2002
Monopoly is the biggest 'sport' in my family and extended family. I take the game very seriously, but then again, I'm a business student and entrepreneur! :)

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Mwilding
<= big Axis & Allies fan

I heard Allies have a big advantage.... if you have good players Allies will usually win...

Back then we use to play a couple games like that..... i.e. toss a coin to see who gets to play Allies and then declare that person/group as the winner immedately. then we play Age of Renaissance..... which I have a little beef with; If you are behind, you're pretty much screwed, and will just be a warm body at the table. Unlike Adv. Civ., where civil war can stop a top player immedately.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: NightFlyerGTI
Monopoly is the biggest 'sport' in my family and extended family. I take the game very seriously, but then again, I'm a business student and entrepreneur! :)

Try a game called Axquire.......... made by the Axis & Allies guys :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: NightFlyerGTI
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
Risk and Monopoly here. Sometimes a gaime of chess, when I can find someone to play.

Oh nevermind, I see we have at least ONE cool person on here. :D

LOL. I used to play Monopoly, now it's a rare occasion. As you play more and more board games, you find that your tastes grow and evolve as with many things. After you start playing more advanced or complex board games, you often find "classic" games like Monopoly, Life, etc to be lacking. It's not that I don't like Monopoly, but there are so many games that are more challenging, more stimulating, less work, etc.

We play Scrabble sometimes. My grandmother and aunt bring it to the level of sport. It's scary. I guess that's what happens when you take a 75-year-old retiree and a 40-something cancer survivor who has a titanium femur and allow them to spend all their free time doing crossword puzzles and playing scrabble.

I also play a lot of Trivial Pursuit, although it's tough to find competitors. I bought the "Baby Boomer" edition figuring it would give my "Baby Boomer" parents an advantage by focusing the questions on events that occurred within their lifetimes. Sadly, I beat my parents worse with those questions than with the regular Genus III questions :)

I heard Allies have a big advantage.... if you have good players Allies will usually win...
This agrees with my experiences. Usually the Allies only lose if they are played by n00bs.

then we play Age of Renaissance..... which I have a little beef with; If you are behind, you're pretty much screwed, and will just be a warm body at the table.
BLARGH! See my post above about someone doing this to me.
Actually, if you're at the bottom of the heap, but still close enough to be "in the game," it's possible to claw your way back up to the top with a few well-placed cards and some skillful advancements.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Try a game called Axquire.......... made by the Axis & Allies guys :D

Love Acquire. You should still be able to find that. It's a stock-trading game. You'd love it, NightFlyerGTI.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Shelly21
Originally posted by: Mwilding
<= big Axis & Allies fan

Back then we use to play a couple games like that..... i.e. toss a coin to see who gets to play Allies and then declare that person/group as the winner immedately. then we play Age of Renaissance..... which I have a little beef with; If you are behind, you're pretty much screwed, and will just be a warm body at the table. Unlike Adv. Civ., where civil war can stop a top player immedately.
Clearly you don't know the game well. A good player can win playing either side. I have seen Russia victorious when a skilled Britain beats up on Germany. I have seen the Yellow horde cross the American continent. The key is to be creative and pre-empt your enemy.