are we losing members?

mindless

Oct 9, 1999
Everyone keeps talking about their assimilations, and several people have joined but our keyrate is still extremely low :(

where are all these new blocks going?

DBC

Sep 6, 2000

<< where are all these new blocks going? >>

Aren't they going to the Dutch Power Cows? :)

No seriously, I think RC5 isn't as popular at TA then it is at DPC. TA also does S@H OGR and al those projects. So I think the power of TA is devided in those projects.
Imagine if S@H is done (probably when aliens are found) then all those people will join the RC5 project and you will be supreme ruler again. :)
In the mean time...DPC will continue it's stampede. :)
Greetz,

Duch Beer Cows

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Or imagine if the &quot;key&quot; is found and all of the rc5'ers switch to SETI? ;)

Rob

Dale

Oct 9, 1999
Robor .. that would be neat

then we find ET and all switch to OGR !!

next

..Dale

blade47

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Unfortunately I have a feeling most of the RC5 team will probably switch to OGR instead of seti.:(

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I just added a P133 and a P3 600....

it's too bad that our sql server runs like crap once rc5 is one.. but we tried for 2 month and coudln't let it run on the sql server anymore...

JHutch

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
If RC5 finishes, I'll probably leave the remote systems running OGR, since it is easier to &quot;fire and forget.&quot; But my personal use machines and the crack rack would definitely switch to SETI. And now that SETI looks to be a truly long term project, it'll be a long, fun race!

JHutch

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Ya people need to realize that the TA SETI team is really an awesome group, being 18th in that project is quite an accomplishment, SETI has been around a LOT longer than DNET, and there are a LOT more people to compete with. Not to mention the tons of people on OGR. TA

Engine

Oct 11, 1999
Actually distributed.net has been around a lot longer than Seti. The seti@home project (officially) started a little over a year ago. Distributed.net has been around since 1997 or so, I think.

blade47

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Our little 402 member Seti group is doing pretty good to hit 17th considering how much of TA's power is directed at OGR and RC5.:)

ZapZilla

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
TA has had 2000+ members join RC5, but for many reasons far less currently contribute.

Before the DPC, the average block-submitting members was about 500.

Now we average about 600 block-submitting members.

We do have a slow growth rate now, and it seems that we lose active RC5 members at about the same rate as we gain new ones.

After time, members seem to hit an &quot;assimilation wall&quot;.

Our team has a history of growing in spurts, following various motivating events.

What will prompt the next membership growth spurt?

Go Team AnandTech!

office boy

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Q: What will prompt the next membership growth spurt?
A: A little write up in a review, on the front page, or even in the next editorial

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
TA has about 600-650 active members per day. The DPC's have about 1400-1500 last I checked. They only had around 1000 before the MF6. They picked up ALOT of members!

TA overall probably has the most computing power in the world! :D
Its great!

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
To answer the initial question, I believe many members will crack for a while, and then shutdown the client and uninstall it, never to use it again.

If Anand himself were to write an article dedicated to distributed computing I think we could easily keep #1 for a while, but we need to &quot;refresh&quot; our recruiting in order to keep the upper hand.

At least that's my take on it.

G|T

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
www.granburychristmaslights.com
Our rate hasn't dropped as much as our numbers. Part of it is the formation of Mini-teams and then retiring e-mail addresses into that team.

I agree with the editorial from Anand. If he could assimilate his University successfully, think what we could do !!!!

nexus9

Jan 8, 2000
Yeah, TA-seti is averaging about 125 active members per day, about 35%. This seems pretty decent compared to most other teams. I'm _just_ starting to track new member, and people who quit...

-Nexus9

jinsonxu

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
I'm making it my policy to crack 1000 WU before flushing. So i haven't been uploading for the past 3 days.