Are we looking at a pivotal turning point in the race for the White House?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Since you're so confident in a Romney win, allow me to extend to you this proposed wager:

- If Romney wins the election, regardless of how or why (including if Obama withdraws from the field or is otherwise ineligible to be elected), you win and I leave this forum (ATPN, not necessarily all of the AT forums) for a minimum of four years.

- If Obama wins the election, regardless of how or why (including if Romney withdraws from the field or is otherwise ineligible to be elected), I win and you leave this forum (ATPN, not necessarily all of the AT forums) for a minimum of four years.

- Under these rules, the only possible push will be if neither Obama nor Romney wins.

- We stipulate that the mods can ban the loser from this forum until Election Day 2016.

- The loser cannot participate in this forum under any alternate account and/or username, and if found to have done so, will be subject to a permanent ban from all of forums.anandtech.com.

Are you in or out?

What is it about authoritarian liberals that they want to shut up the opposition?

Feb 10, 2000
That is a very serious prediction.

Care to give your guess?

p.s., Would I ever eff with you? No way.

Without calculating state-by-state (don't have the time!), the President will get at least 300 electoral votes and will be declared the winner on election night (as opposed to what occurred in 2000 and 2004). At this point I put the President's odds of re-election at 65-70%.

What's interesting is that there's no question the President is vulnerable, and would probably lose to the right Republican candidate. Unfortunately for the GOP, the party is terribly fractured, and it has nominated a thoroughly unappealing candidate (albeit probably the best candidate in a very poor field). Very reminiscent of 2004, but, I think, less competitive.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Since you're so confident in a Romney win, allow me to extend to you this proposed wager:

- If Romney wins the election, regardless of how or why (including if Obama withdraws from the field or is otherwise ineligible to be elected), you win and I leave this forum (ATPN, not necessarily all of the AT forums) for a minimum of four years.

- If Obama wins the election, regardless of how or why (including if Romney withdraws from the field or is otherwise ineligible to be elected), I win and you leave this forum (ATPN, not necessarily all of the AT forums) for a minimum of four years.

- Under these rules, the only possible push will be if neither Obama nor Romney wins.

- We stipulate that the mods can ban the loser from this forum until Election Day 2016.

- The loser cannot participate in this forum under any alternate account and/or username, and if found to have done so, will be subject to a permanent ban from all of forums.anandtech.com.

Are you in or out?

I'll add my name to this - same conditions - now if any Spidey supporters wish to back him up then we've got a game going....

Bring it....

Feb 10, 2000
What is it about authoritarian liberals that they want to shut up the opposition?

I'm far from authoritarian. Spidey is a known gambler and keeps confidently predicting a Romney victory. I am not asking him to "shut up" any more than I am committing to do the same if I lose.

You are an extraordinarily whiny person for someone who simultaneously exhibits such blustery confidence. The GOP (and you individually) seem to have sand in their collective vaginas this election cycle. Seriously, grow a pair.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Without calculating state-by-state (don't have the time!), the President will get at least 300 electoral votes and will be declared the winner on election night (as opposed to what occurred in 2000 and 2004). At this point I put the President's odds of re-election at 65-70%.

What's interesting is that there's no question the President is vulnerable, and would probably lose to the right Republican candidate. Unfortunately for the GOP, the party is terribly fractured, and it has nominated a thoroughly unappealing candidate (albeit probably the best candidate in a very poor field). Very reminiscent of 2004, but, I think, less competitive.

LOL!

MSNBC the other night said that the President has a firm 265 votes now. In other words, it is all but over.

We'll know shortly. I hope.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

You are being modest. 538 shows Obama getting huge spikes out of Romneys series of gaffes and miscalculations since the RNC. Romney needs a miracle to win. Romney has to win Ohio and Florida in order to have a shot at winning. The odds of him winning both appear to be non existent. The odds of him winning just one is decreasing day by day.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

"The right Republican candidate" is Rick Parry, a figment of their fevered imaginations.

It's their own fault, of course. They've sought to radicalize their base for 30 years, and have succeeded. The divide between them and moderates has never been wider.

Once we get past the emotionally loaded appeal of their pitch, they offer America nothing but increasing inequality & more widespread misery.

They deserve to be beaten, badly, because they place the welfare of a very, very few above and beyond the welfare of the Nation itself & as a whole. They'd rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven, and it shows.

Feb 10, 2000
LOL!

MSNBC the other night said that the President has a firm 265 votes now. In other words, it is all but over.

We'll know shortly. I hope.

You'll "know" in the coming weeks because, as occurred in 2008, the polls will show with increasing clarity that President Obama has an insurmountable lead over Governor Romney. The pundits (on both sides) will continue to treat it as a close race for as long as they credibly can, because that's good for ratings, but in reality this is not a particularly close race, and it will, I think, get less close over time. Intrade is a good real-world demonstrator - there, where people's real money is at stake, the public is increasingly convinced that the President will be re-elected. His odds of winning were at 60% a few weeks ago, and now stand at 64.5%.

Feb 10, 2000
"The right Republican candidate" is Rick Parry, a figment of their fevered imaginations.

It's their own fault, of course. They've sought to radicalize their base for 30 years, and have succeeded. The divide between them and moderates has never been wider.

Once we get past the emotionally loaded appeal of their pitch, they offer America nothing but increasing inequality & more widespread misery.

They deserve to be beaten, badly, because they place the welfare of a very, very few above and beyond the welfare of the Nation itself & as a whole. They'd rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven, and it shows.

Very well put.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Are you in or out?

Let's just make it a straight 1000 buck bet fucker.

-edit-
Normally when the proposer has tons of outs/conditinos, you know he's not confident in his bet. I'm offering a straight bet. Your bet is refused, I want money fucker.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Righties will, of course, interpret a Romney loss as caused by him not being enough of a "Conservative", and will adjust accordingly, basically setting the controls for the heart of the Sun...

Now is the time for Obama to step up, call for more Dems in Congress & state govts to support an agenda currently thwarted by Repubs.

"Don't just vote for me, vote for our vision of America. Vote for the people who will help us achieve it!"

Lay 'em on the anvil, put the hammer to 'em... figuratively speaking, of course.

Feb 10, 2000
Let's just make it a straight 1000 buck bet fucker.

-edit-
Normally when the proposer has tons of outs/conditinos, you know he's not confident in his bet. I'm offering a straight bet. Your bet is refused, I want money fucker.

I don't trust you as far as I can throw you. Why would I trust you to pay off? You're the same genius who said Perry would win the election.

I am not offering any outs or conditions. My terms are clear. Your rejection of them makes it clear you don't believe Romney will win.

If you can suggest an acceptable escrow arrangement I'd bet $500.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I don't trust you as far as I can throw you. Why would I trust you to pay off? You're the same genius who said Perry would win the election.

I am not offering any outs or conditions. My terms are clear. Your rejection of them makes it clear you don't believe Romney will win.

What I hear is "I can't put my money where my mouth is". There is little hurt to you on a forum if you lose. No real personal risk.

I'm countering with 1000 buck straight bet. That may be a big risk for you being a podunk lawyer, for me it's not. Your terms are a position of weakness.

Feb 10, 2000
What I hear is "I can't put my money where my mouth is". There is little hurt to you on a forum if you lose. No real personal risk.

I'm countering with 1000 buck straight bet. That may be a big risk for you being a podunk lawyer, for me it's not. Your terms are a position of weakness.

I'd say the same to you. I made clear bet terms and you rejected them, exhibiting lack of confidence. All I know about you is that you're a bigoted moron living in bohunk Nowheresville, Tennessee. I don't believe for one moment that you'd pay if you lose, so why should I put my money on the line?

You know full well the President will win the election. If you believe otherwise, accept my proposed bet terms and look forward to my leaving this forum when you win.

God are you a pussy. You Republicans are amazingly wimpy this year.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

You're a coward.... and time has proven that money means nothing to you...

How's about you put your stand to the test.... because you'll lose...

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Snopes is nothing if not an apologist for all things obama/Democrat.

Never trust Snopes on anything political.
"Gee, this source of fact checking doesn't agree with my party's made up talking points. Must be a conspiracy of lieberals! How dare they!!!"

Politifact is pretty shitty about false equivalencies and nitpicking grammar, but they'll also agree on this, as will any other fact checkers. But oh wait! Fact checkers might not agree with what fits your preconceptions, so they must be liberals conspirators! Same with the media, and schools, and science! If reality doesn't fit your ideals, just pretend reality is different!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
When the muslims are still rioting and attacking our embassies well into October Romney can simply say "this is what obama's policies have brought".

Seriously folks, go look at history of Carter. All that's needed now to complete the circle is hostages and obama going "ummm, ahhh, umm, America understands the justified capture of Americans"

Cue Obama saying "Why don't they love me? I'm a citizen of the world and sympathize with islam? Do I need to ala whackbutt with them some more to make them love me?"

Desperation is a stinky cologne and Romney just dumped the whole bottle on himself when he thought he was going to get lucky.

Of all the things you could possibly try to paint Obama as, soft on terror isn't really a good place to stake out. Lockheed is probably going to name the Hellfire missile assembly line after the man.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'd say the same to you. I made clear bet terms and you rejected them, exhibiting lack of confidence. All I know about you is that you're a bigoted moron living in bohunk Nowheresville, Tennessee. I don't believe for one moment that you'd pay if you lose, so why should I put my money on the line?

You know full well the President will win the election. If you believe otherwise, accept my proposed bet terms and look forward to my leaving this forum when you win.

God are you a pussy. You Republicans are amazingly wimpy this year.

I bet with money fucker. You bet with terms of no real consquence other than posting on a forum.

Feb 10, 2000
I bet with money fucker. You bet with terms of no real consquence other than posting on a forum.

Mine are enforceable terms. What am I supposed to do with your "$1,000" when you don't pay? You're a coward. You know full well the President will be re-elected. Be prepared to be laughed into the ground when that happens.

Are you still predicting a Perry victory?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Mine are enforceable terms. What am I supposed to do with your "$1,000" when you don't pay? You're a coward. You know full well the President will be re-elected. Be prepared to be laughed into the ground when that happens.

Are you still predicting a Perry victory?

Why are you even wasting your time with him?