Are we looking at a pivotal turning point in the race for the White House?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Turning point? In what? There is no turning point, Obama has had this in the bag for a good year or so now due to Republican shenanigans and their inability to present a proper candidate and run a proper campaign. To us outsiders, those who care little to none for party politics and find all this non-sense to be well non-sense, have known this for awhile because we aren't blinded by bullshit the media is feeding you. Obama had the electoral vote domination in the bag and it has never been let out.

Pretty much.

The desperation of the Romney campaign & his fanbois is becoming evident. This thread proves it.

They're just throwing up whatever they can get their hands on, hoping something will stick. The distortion in Romney's statement would be astounding coming from any politician with a shred of honesty, but Mitt isn't that guy.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Surely you said all this in jest. This isn't even debatable. Romney simply responded incorrectly to try and score political points and made himself, as usual, look like a giant asshole.

He's just his usual desperate loonie tune self. There's no point in replying to him, at all.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Pretty much.

The desperation of the Romney campaign & his fanbois is becoming evident. This thread proves it.

They're just throwing up whatever they can get their hands on, hoping something will stick. The distortion in Romney's statement would be astounding coming from any politician with a shred of honesty, but Mitt isn't that guy.

Finally someone agrees with me. I've been saying this fucking non-sense for months now, laughing at all the R and D supporters getting their panties in a bunch like this election was up for grabs lol. If the Republicans had seriously thought of running Herman Cain, I could possibly see the arguments. Maybe even Huntsman, but Romney? lol please. The Republican elite had a few opportunities to select a better candidate to represent them, instead they chose Romney and threw the rest under the bus.

Romney is the death of the modern Republican party.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Not having embassies/consulates on alert due to 9/11 anniversary.

Not having sufficient security.

If the reports are true, preventing Marine security detail from having ammo.

Some may not like the President's response etc.

Allowing a situation where host nations can feel free to fail to provide adequate security, as required per int'l law, is a foreign policy and diplomatic failure.

No matter how you cut it, this isn't a positive development.

Fern

Sorry Libs I've never agreed with Fern more. Or maybe ever for that matter. You cannot beat off hordes of Muslims with harsh language and marlboro lights.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Finally someone agrees with me. I've been saying this fucking non-sense for months now, laughing at all the R and D supporters getting their panties in a bunch like this election was up for grabs lol. If the Republicans had seriously thought of running Herman Cain, I could possibly see the arguments. Maybe even Huntsman, but Romney? lol please. The Republican elite had a few opportunities to select a better candidate to represent them, instead they chose Romney and threw the rest under the bus.

Barring some amazing twist of fate, I think Obama will be re-elected. OTOH, it's important for Dems to do what they can to prevent this kind of distortion from turning into that.

Romney isn't the death of the party, but rather the essence of the big money wing of it. If it dies, it's because they've been running it for 30 years.

Cain? Surely you jest. The only two who seemed out of place in the Repub primary clown car were Romney & Huntsman.

Colbert had it dead nuts on the money with his "Rick Parry" campaign- Repubs want a candidate who doesn't exist, who can't exist because the party has become what they made it- mostly the brain-dead and those who exploit them.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

The Lib Media now chooses the Republican candidate. They give so much bias to the least electable candidate that is why they had McCain and now Romney. I know that sounds crazy but Lib media slants, covers up, pushes what ever agenda they can just to have a stooge run against the Dem.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I never really realized just how delusional liberals are until I started reading this forum. Now I completely understand why I always thought they were so fucking stupid when I was in college. It really is a mental disorder.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The Lib Media now chooses the Republican candidate. They give so much bias to the least electable candidate that is why they had McCain and now Romney. I know that sounds crazy but Lib media slants, covers up, pushes what ever agenda they can just to have a stooge run against the Dem.

Nice conspiracy theory, bro.

Romney is just the best of a very, very bad litter of candidates, spawned & nurtured by the Republican party itself. Don't expect it to get better anytime rsn.

Trying to place blame outside the party is pure denial of the worst sort. Repubs need to look inward if they're to remain viable in a national sense, re-evaluate much of what they believe.

As it is, they just double down on ideological failure, cling to it as if it didn't spawn the greatest financial catastrophe since the great depression.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Jhhnn, Romney didn't seem out of place to me at all and I kid you not Herman Cain would have been a better candidate to run against Obama. Mostly because he's black. Yes I went there, but I'm strictly thinking in a "how do you win the White House" sort of way, not a "who's the best candidate for the job" sort of way. OBVIOUSLY my pick for best candidate out of the R's would have been Huntsman or Ron Paul. I'm currently backing Gary Johnson, this does not mean I back the Libertarian Party, I simply back Gary Johnson as the man I support.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

1339735714719.png

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
No Fox News is dumb, the American People are dumb, and the Republican Machine is the well... dumb. They think only RINO's only have a shot. No one wants to vote for a Dem Light in an election and the republicans don't have the balls to put up a candidate that is more Tea Party than Dem Light.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Jhhnn, Romney didn't seem out of place to me at all and I kid you not Herman Cain would have been a better candidate to run against Obama. Mostly because he's black. Yes I went there, but I'm strictly thinking in a "how do you win the White House" sort of way, not a "who's the best candidate for the job" sort of way. OBVIOUSLY my pick for best candidate out of the R's would have been Huntsman or Ron Paul. I'm currently backing Gary Johnson, this does not mean I back the Libertarian Party, I simply back Gary Johnson as the man I support.

I'm stuck voting against Obama. I didn't last time I could not pull the lever for McCain.

I can see why you vote that way not this time though. I just want to see Ms. Obama get thrown out of AF1 back in Chi-town. She makes me like Hillary. I just see her as looking at this as having a 4 year all expenses paid vacation that she wants to continue keeping the gravy train rolling. Hell the clintons even stole the furniture on the way out and still Ms. O I'd be glad to give her the furniture if she'd just leave.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No Fox News is dumb, the American People are dumb, and the Republican Machine is the well... dumb. They think only RINO's only have a shot. No one wants to vote for a Dem Light in an election and the republicans don't have the balls to put up a candidate that is more Tea Party than Dem Light.

Yep- doubling down, never questioning your own beliefs.

Conservatives don't practice politics, but rather religion.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'm in agreement with this to a point. The statements will be forgotten in the long run, but then, the election is less than 2 months off. I think many independents and undecideds do read the newspaper, and honestly, if the statements are compared, I doubt many will favor the tone or substance of Romney's contributions here. That said, there are many things which can happen in a campaign season, and I doubt this one will swing the result much.

Another point here is that there is something larger going on, an American foreign policy crisis in the middle east. This may have broader implications for the election than just the comments made by Romney and Obama over the past 2 days. So far, Obama has handled this well from a rhetorical standpoint. But let's see how this continues to play out over the next several days or weeks. People will continue to judge Obama for how he handles it, for good or for ill.

I perceive two issues here. First Romney ought to be aware that there was a crisis and making political fodder out of a tragedy is not something widely supported. I certainly found it completely inappropriate. I can make an off the cuff statement that would express my support for those involved, present an argument for expectations of reasonable action based on facts and at the same time support the administration which has to deal with the situation but again stating a reasonable set of expectations. If I can do this why can't Romney? Looking like a huge dick won't positively influence those outside the Rep party.

The other issue is what happened, who knew and who should have known and the appropriateness of response. On this I have nothing to say since I am working in the absence of data. If it comes out before the election that due diligence was exercised then that works to the advantage of Obama. If not then it's to Romney, provided he can keep from looking like Renfield in the original Frankenstein movie.

Feb 10, 2000
Yes, we are seeing an important moment in this election. During this crisis, the President and this Administration is apologizing for our freedoms. "We the People" see this and will get rid of this Fool we have now and elect a real leader.

Romney wins with 320 Electoral College votes.

At noon, 20 JAN 2013 the healing begins with a new Administration.

Do you seriously believe this or are you just effing with us? If you do believe it I'd recommend getting yourself checked out for senile dementia.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
When the muslims are still rioting and attacking our embassies well into October Romney can simply say "this is what obama's policies have brought".

Seriously folks, go look at history of Carter. All that's needed now to complete the circle is hostages and obama going "ummm, ahhh, umm, America understands the justified capture of Americans"

Cue Obama saying "Why don't they love me? I'm a citizen of the world and sympathize with islam? Do I need to ala whackbutt with them some more to make them love me?"

Learn from history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis

Nice link, that wiki, fucking occupiers. Keep your powder dry folks.

Takeover

Around 6:30 a.m. on November 4, the ringleaders gathered between 300 and 500 selected students, thereafter known as Muslim Student Followers of the Imam's Line, and briefed them on the battle plan. A female student was given a pair of metal cutters to break the chains locking the embassy's gates, and she hid them beneath her chador.[34]

At first the students' plan to only make a symbolic occupation, release statements to the press and leave when government security forces came to restore order, was reflected in placards saying "Don't be afraid. We just want to set-in." When the embassy guards brandished firearms, the protesters retreated, one telling the Americans, "We don't mean any harm."[35] But as it became clear the guards would not use deadly force and that a large angry crowd had gathered outside the compound to cheer the occupiers and jeer the hostages, the occupation changed.[36] According to one embassy staff member, buses full of demonstrators began to appear outside the embassy shortly after the Muslim Student Followers of the Imam's Line broke through the gates.[37]

As Ayatollah Musavi Khoeyniha had hoped, Khomeini supported the takeover. According to Foreign Minister Ebrahim Yazdi, when he, Yazdi came to Qom to tell the Imam about the incident, Khomeini told the minister to "go and kick them out". But later that evening, back in Tehran, the minister heard on the radio that Imam Khomeini had issued a statement supporting the seizure and calling it "the second revolution", and the embassy an "American spy den in Tehran".[38]

The occupiers bound and blindfolded the embassy Marines and staff and paraded them in front of photographers. In the first couple of days many of the embassy staff who had snuck out of the compound or not been there at the time of the takeover were rounded up by Islamists and returned as hostages.[39] Six American diplomats did however avoid capture and found refuge at the nearby Canadian and Swiss embassies in Tehran for three months (Canadian caper). They fled Iran using Canadian passports on January 28, 1980.[40]

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
When the muslims are still rioting and attacking our embassies well into October Romney can simply say "this is what obama's policies have brought".

Seriously folks, go look at history of Carter. All that's needed now to complete the circle is hostages and obama going "ummm, ahhh, umm, America understands the justified capture of Americans"

Cue Obama saying "Why don't they love me? I'm a citizen of the world and sympathize with islam? Do I need to ala whackbutt with them some more to make them love me?"

Learn from history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The Marines are already on their way. Obama and Hillary are no doubt giving the Libyan and Egyptian governments a thorough dressing down and I would be surprised if there isn't a wall of Egyptian and Libyan soldiers protecting both embassies by now.

The ineptness you think they show exists only as an echo in your own head.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The Marines are already on their way. Obama and Hillary are no doubt giving the Libyan and Egyptian governments a thorough dressing down and I would be surprised if there isn't a wall of Egyptian and Libyan soldiers protecting both embassies by now.

The ineptness you think they show exists only as an echo in your own head.

Yes, lybia and egypt are clearly allies.

:rolleyes;

Let the turning point happen, fuck be upon obama. This is great and glorious fuck on him.

Arab spring chickens are coming home...to ROOST..../wright

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Do you seriously believe this or are you just effing with us? If you do believe it I'd recommend getting yourself checked out for senile dementia.

That is a very serious prediction.

Care to give your guess?

p.s., Would I ever eff with you? No way.

Feb 10, 2000
That was Romney's finest hour as he perfectly described Obama's failure. Great remarks and really hit it out of the park.

LOL at obama being above, he's out fundraising during a crisis.

You need to remember your history of Carter, as Obama is doing the exact same thing. Didn't turn out well for carter and will simply repeat on hussein.

Since you're so confident in a Romney win, allow me to extend to you this proposed wager:

- If Romney wins the election, regardless of how or why (including if Obama withdraws from the field or is otherwise ineligible to be elected), you win and I leave this forum (ATPN, not necessarily all of the AT forums) for a minimum of four years.

- If Obama wins the election, regardless of how or why (including if Romney withdraws from the field or is otherwise ineligible to be elected), I win and you leave this forum (ATPN, not necessarily all of the AT forums) for a minimum of four years.

- Under these rules, the only possible push will be if neither Obama nor Romney wins.

- We stipulate that the mods can ban the loser from this forum until Election Day 2016.

- The loser cannot participate in this forum under any alternate account and/or username, and if found to have done so, will be subject to a permanent ban from all of forums.anandtech.com.

Are you in or out?

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
I'm stuck voting against Obama. I didn't last time I could not pull the lever for McCain.

I can see why you vote that way not this time though. I just want to see Ms. Obama get thrown out of AF1 back in Chi-town. She makes me like Hillary. I just see her as looking at this as having a 4 year all expenses paid vacation that she wants to continue keeping the gravy train rolling. Hell the clintons even stole the furniture on the way out and still Ms. O I'd be glad to give her the furniture if she'd just leave.
What the hell? how can you possibly by this against Michelle Obama? All she's done is campaign against obesity and for soldiers' families. First ladies are almost all great, because the job description is very simple: choose a cause everyone agrees is good but isn't getting done, then promote that cause. Laura Bush had literacy, for example.

Before you respond "They spent tons of money traveling!!!" read a Snopes article, the Obamas haven't done a thing that isn't completely standard for presidential families.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Yes, lybia and egypt are clearly allies.

:rolleyes;

Let the turning point happen, fuck be upon obama. This is great and glorious fuck on him.

Arab spring chickens are coming home...to ROOST..../wright

Don't forget our allies of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq. Then there is our friend.....Iran.

Our enemy is Israel.

We have got to get rid of this Fool.......NOW!