Are we looking at a pivotal turning point in the race for the White House?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
By being part of the dimocratic party you do live in a fantasy world.

LOL you know you are detached when you defend spidey... Nice. After reading some of your posts in this thread I can see you have stuck your head full into the Kool Aid trough...

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
I'm curious to read these apologies. Please link to them.

How about a top 10

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/06/03/morning-bell-president-obamas-top-ten-apologies/

10. Apology for Guantanamo in Washington: “There is also no question that Guantanamo set back the moral authority that is America’s strongest currency in the world. … Rather than keeping us safer, the prison at Guantanamo has weakened American national security. It is a rallying cry for our enemies.”

9. Apology for the Mistakes of the CIA: “So don’t be discouraged by what’s happened in the last few weeks. Don’t be discouraged that we have to acknowledge potentially we’ve made some mistakes.”

8. Apology for U.S. Policy toward the Americas: “Too often, the United States has not pursued and sustained engagement with our neighbors. We have been too easily distracted by other priorities, and have failed to see that our own progress is tied directly to progress throughout the Americas.”

7. Apology before the Turkish Parliament: “The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history. … Our country still struggles with the legacies of slavery and segregation, the past treatment of Native Americans.”

6. Apology for Guantanamo in France: “I don’t believe that there is a contradiction between our security and our values. And when you start sacrificing your values, when you lose yourself, then over the long term that will make you less secure.”

5. Apology for the War on Terror: “Unfortunately, faced with an uncertain threat, our government made a series of hasty decisions. … In other words, we went off course.”

4. Apology at the G-20 Summit of World Leaders: “I would like to think that with my election and the early decisions that we’ve made, that you’re starting to see some restoration of America’s standing in the world.”

3. Apology to the Summit of the Americas: “While the United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to dictate our terms. … So I’m here to launch a new chapter of engagement that will be sustained throughout my administration. The United States will be willing to acknowledge past errors where those errors have been made.”

2. Apology to the Muslim World: “We sometimes make mistakes. We have not been perfect.”

1. Apology to France and Europe: “Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.”

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
LOL at the Democrat fanboiz with their programmed spin on this thread.

Romney's statement was fine. Just what you should expect from an in-tune Presidential candidate.

We all have to remember that the press is absolutely not on Romney's side here. They are still drooling over Obama's Cairo speech, even as the world has turned.

When you see their spin to be about style and not substance, that is our Democrat Party press failing at their jobs. When you see them leveling criticism on Romney for taking the lead on criticizing the piss poor Administration statements, that is just press partisanship rearing its ugly head again.

The criticism that Romney shouldn't make statements as a candidate for the Presidency is simply absurd. He needs to express his positions and can contrast them to the jellyfish government statements without reservation. That the Obama administration walked back its early statements and issued statements saying the same things as Romney did shows that Romney was right first and Obama is following.

Oh yeah, where was Obama as these events were breaking? Raising money for himself in Las Vegas. Too busy to pay attention. Too busy to attend daily security briefs. Too busy to meet with Netanyahu. Real presidential, huh?

The posters that are spinning the same ol' talking points from Media Don't Matters are so far in the bag for Obama that they simply can't distinguish a proper response from a poor one.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is not the first time a Republican candidate has traitorously teamed up with enemy terrorists of the United States to try to gain an election advantage or prevent one from the the other side. Carter got fucked by Reagan and then later Reagan fucked the American people. You know the story. Now Romney who is running for President for no other reason than the prestige he feels goes with the job and is a complete moron, has now decided to inject himself where he doesn't belong to score points that could cost more American lives. He is a giant pile of shit, but like any pile of shit, seems to attract a lot of shit flies.

Last edited:

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
There was no apology morons!

There was an attempt to mitigate the anger that was sure to appear, done by the people on the line. Done by the people that actually understand the culture of those around them, unlike you armchair dimwits.

Romney wouldn't recognize diplomacy if it bit him on the ass. Those that think this was a brilliant move on his part are dimmer bulbs than him.

Those of you that eschew rational thinking when discussing a serious matter have no idea how funny you sound to the rest of us.

I'll be laughing all the way to the polls.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
2. Apology to the Muslim World: “We sometimes make mistakes. We have not been perfect.”
Jesus Christ, that's language that makes you upset? Do you expect the President to be delusional enough to believe that the United States is and has always been perfect, or just lie about it to other people in order to piss them off more? Or are you so delusional as to believe America hasn't done lots of shitty things to other countries in our history? We've also done plenty of good, but it's absolutely absurd to act like we're perfect and golden and everyone owes us everything.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
How about a top 10

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/06/03/morning-bell-president-obamas-top-ten-apologies/

10. Apology for Guantanamo in Washington: “There is also no question that Guantanamo set back the moral authority that is America’s strongest currency in the world. … Rather than keeping us safer, the prison at Guantanamo has weakened American national security. It is a rallying cry for our enemies.”

9. Apology for the Mistakes of the CIA: “So don’t be discouraged by what’s happened in the last few weeks. Don’t be discouraged that we have to acknowledge potentially we’ve made some mistakes.”

8. Apology for U.S. Policy toward the Americas: “Too often, the United States has not pursued and sustained engagement with our neighbors. We have been too easily distracted by other priorities, and have failed to see that our own progress is tied directly to progress throughout the Americas.”

7. Apology before the Turkish Parliament: “The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history. … Our country still struggles with the legacies of slavery and segregation, the past treatment of Native Americans.”

6. Apology for Guantanamo in France: “I don’t believe that there is a contradiction between our security and our values. And when you start sacrificing your values, when you lose yourself, then over the long term that will make you less secure.”

5. Apology for the War on Terror: “Unfortunately, faced with an uncertain threat, our government made a series of hasty decisions. … In other words, we went off course.”

4. Apology at the G-20 Summit of World Leaders: “I would like to think that with my election and the early decisions that we’ve made, that you’re starting to see some restoration of America’s standing in the world.”

3. Apology to the Summit of the Americas: “While the United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to dictate our terms. … So I’m here to launch a new chapter of engagement that will be sustained throughout my administration. The United States will be willing to acknowledge past errors where those errors have been made.”

1. Apology to France and Europe: “Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.”

You are a pompous ass if you think any of those statements are out of line. No country is perfect, and there are times where we have often not made the best decisions when it comes to our relationships with the rest of the world.

One of the hallmarks of a good leader is the ability to look back at decisions and acknowledge where we could have done better. One cannot be an effective leader without humility. If you are suggesting that we need a leader who has none, you and your kind are creating a recipe of failure for our country as a whole.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
LOL at the Democrat fanboiz with their programmed spin on this thread.

Romney's statement was fine. Just what you should expect from an in-tune Presidential candidate.

We all have to remember that the press is absolutely not on Romney's side here. They are still drooling over Obama's Cairo speech, even as the world has turned.

When you see their spin to be about style and not substance, that is our Democrat Party press failing at their jobs. When you see them leveling criticism on Romney for taking the lead on criticizing the piss poor Administration statements, that is just press partisanship rearing its ugly head again.

The criticism that Romney shouldn't make statements as a candidate for the Presidency is simply absurd. He needs to express his positions and can contrast them to the jellyfish government statements without reservation. That the Obama administration walked back its early statements and issued statements saying the same things as Romney did shows that Romney was right first and Obama is following.

Oh yeah, where was Obama as these events were breaking? Raising money for himself in Las Vegas. Too busy to pay attention. Too busy to attend daily security briefs. Too busy to meet with Netanyahu. Real presidential, huh?

The posters that are spinning the same ol' talking points from Media Don't Matters are so far in the bag for Obama that they simply can't distinguish a proper response from a poor one.

Geez, ProJo; downgrading your already abysmal reputation to Spidey level...

lowrider.jpg

How low can you go?

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Jesus Christ, that's language that makes you upset? Do you expect the President to be delusional enough to believe that the United States is and has always been perfect, or just lie about it to other people in order to piss them off more? Or are you so delusional as to believe America hasn't done lots of shitty things to other countries in our history? We've also done plenty of good, but it's absolutely absurd to act like we're perfect and golden and everyone owes us everything.

I believe the non-apologetic way is to say

"We NEVER make mistakes. We have ALWAYS been perfect. FK YOU ALL"

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
:)

The argument has shifted from "our dear leader doesn't apologize" to "well of course this is a horrible country and we have a lot to apologize for".

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
:)

The argument has shifted from "our dear leader doesn't apologize" to "well of course this is a horrible country and we have a lot to apologize for".

Nobody ever said that. You must not be able to take constructive criticism well.

Also - what kind of mental midget thinks that acknowledging a mistake = apologizing?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
This is the statement.

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
How about a top 10

That's diplomacy through words rather than at gunpoint....

The Bush doctrine was absolutely horrible and only a very select few even went along with it. You can't invade a country, find out it was bullshit, and continue saying fuck you we are America.

I did not read "America is sorry" anywhere in there. You probably are retarded enough to believe respect comes from kicking the shit out of countries who simply disagree with us rather than actually being humble and building alliances through diplomacy.

News flash dumb ass, America can barely deal with insurgents in a third world country. We don't need to go fucking up even more countries. Thankfully McCain got crushed and a war with Iran, Syria, Russia and probably France was prevented.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Our president didn't apologize in this case.

Anyone who seriously believes this country has nothing to apologize for has no idea of world history and seems to be relying on elementary school ideas of America Good Guys vs. Evil Everyone Else.

Or should we just tell people to fuck themselves over the innocents murdered by errant drone strikes? If they didn't want their wedding blown up they shouldn't have lived in a different part of the world, right? America has every right to drop explosives on anyone they want, anywhere they want!

There's a middle ground between "America is perfect" and "America is a horrible awful country that has never done anything good," and that middle ground is where adults live.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
How about a top 10

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/mar/15/mitt-romney/obama-remarks-never-true-apology/

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
That's diplomacy through words rather than at gunpoint....

The Bush doctrine was absolutely horrible and only a very select few even went along with it. You can't invade a country, find out it was bullshit, and continue saying fuck you we are America.

I did not read "America is sorry" anywhere in there. You probably are retarded enough to believe respect comes from kicking the shit out of countries who simply disagree with us rather than actually being humble and building alliances through diplomacy.

News flash dumb ass, America can barely deal with insurgents in a third world country. We don't need to go fucking up even more countries. Thankfully McCain got crushed and a war with Iran, Syria, Russia and probably France was prevented.

Aren't you and the rest of the occupy wall street movement suppose to be at a flag burning right now?

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Budmantom

Some day, maybe when you grow up, you will realize that no person, no nation is perfect. You may also come to realize that sometimes it is prudent to admit mistakes, especially when trying to regain trust that has been previously squandered by ill conceived policies.

Bush, Cheney, etc. tried the macho "never admit to a mistake" bullshit and looked like fools for it on the world stage.

You really can't build partnerships and alliances by proclaiming that any criticism of past or present policies we've had are without merit and disallowed.

I don't have a problem admitting to being wrong, even to people who know me personally. And I am a better man for it as I have the respect of my peers.

It works the same way on the international stage for countries.

I would ask you; do you believe that nothing you listed has merit or value?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
This is the statement.

Are you aware of the definition of condemnation? "ondemnation - an expression of strong disapproval; pronouncing as wrong or morally culpable".

I strongly disapprove of the things the Westboro Baptist says on a daily basis, and I think that what they say is morally wrong...regardless if it is their right. How is that, in any way/shape/form, an apology?

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
How about a top 10

No apology found. A statement about guantanomo's effects was made. An apology would have said, "Sorry about opening guantanamo, please forgive us"

The CIA never does anything wrong, they are fkin perfect in everything they do! ALL HAIL CIA!

He's saying we've been busy elsewhere (middle east, asia) to prioritize relations with the Americas. So he's sorry about not paying enough attention, but that's reality. It's still that way now.

It's better to just ignore those parts of american history... nothing good happened then.

Interesting that the party of values, worship of our freedoms, and adherence to judeo-christian values would criticize this.

Without knowing the context of this speech, how does Iraq NOT fit this?

.... lol how is this even considered an apology?

Obama: "We are improving our global image"
Haters: "APOLOGIST!!! WAARRRAAAGGGHHHH"

He should have said "You should thank us for the help in starting wars and toppling governments in your region biaches. WE NEVER MAKE MISTAKES SO FK YOU ALL."

WE NEVER MAKE MISTAKES SO FK YOU ALL. AMERICA FK YEHA!

Fkin pansies for now wanting to join Poland and the rest of the coalition of the willing to fight a unnecessary war in IRAQ.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is the statement.

Issued prior to the attacks out of the Cairo embassy and not authorized by the administration.

Unless Romney is going to accuse Obama of having a time traveling DeLorean and going back to apologize for something that hadn't even happened yet.