Are Viking ranges really that good?

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I REALLY like the look of viking ranges, and they're usually touted as being the best of the best when it comes to cook tops but are they really that good? Anyone have them?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Viking ranges are good but, you have to distinguish between the commercial varieties and the "professional" made for residential use. The difference is that they cost almost as much new but, are inferior quality.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Yeah, the Vikings had good ranges, they sailed from Scandinavia to Dublin and Greenland.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
If you're interested in quality and functionality over looks, check out your local used restaurant equipment store.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Viking ranges are good but, you have to distinguish between the commercial varieties and the "professional" made for residential use. The difference is that they cost almost as much new but, are inferior quality.

What are you trying to say?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Viking makes commercial ranges that are good. Viking also makes nice looking, expensive ranges for the residential market that are a poor value. Is that clear?

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Viking makes commercial ranges that are good. Viking also makes nice looking, expensive ranges for the residential market that are a poor value. Is that clear?

Perfectly Clear.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Can you give some specifics as to why you don't like Viking ranges? I was thinking of replacing our old jenn-air with something else. I guess most nice residential ranges fall in the $1,200 to $2,400 range. Most of their upscale cousins run over $5,000. What are the best values for all electric?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Originally posted by: FlashG
What are the best values for all electric?

Take a good look at LG and GE Profile ranges. They are very good units, and it will save you a lot of money over Viking.

Also, Viking used to only make gas ranges, have they added electric units as well now? I haven't kept on their products for years.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I do not know crap about ranges, but my in-laws Viking range works and looks a hell of a lot better than any range I have ever owned (which I know were not Viking, but I have no idea what brand any of them were).

MotionMan

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000

Yup, spot on...if you want high end and good quality the search begins and ends with GE Monogram in my opinion, possibly also Kenmore Elite...both are alot cheaper than Viking, jenn air, miele, or sub zero and work as well if not better...

But the reality is unless you plan on living there forever or moving your stove with you, investing in such luxuries is a waste of money as buyers don't really care.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: bozack

Yup, spot on...if you want high end and good quality the search begins and ends with GE Monogram in my opinion, possibly also Kenmore Elite...both are alot cheaper than Viking, jenn air, miele, or sub zero and work as well if not better...

But the reality is unless you plan on living there forever or moving your stove with you, investing in such luxuries is a waste of money as buyers don't really care.

I'm not looking for an electric range.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: bozack

The GE Cafe is good too if you want to save some money, but want higher quality than the GE Profile. It looks much nicer too.