Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Still seems like it's going to be GA102 only though.

My point is that crypto ran it's course and like all things, it crashed and burned.

Crypto in general has rallied to the point where Ethereum is back up to June price levels. The network hashrate has been flat for a month and a half.

• Wow
Reactions: scineram
Jul 27, 2020
But the great thing is that even the miners are scared to buy more coz they are not sure what the future holds. Nvidia produced a lot of GPUs for the mining craze and kept making them, expecting them to keep selling. Now they have to clear out everything plus their wafer reservation with TSMC means we'll be swimming in GPUs soon. By the end of it all, Jensen might have to cry and whine like a baby. At least he has his billions to console him.

Reactions: psolord

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The 6800 in particular should be relatively rare because AMD shouldn't have needed to cut many that far in the first place.
Yeah, I know. But I really want to stay around 200W power limit for noise and heat reasons. I know that 6700xt is sort of close but 6800 has better power/performance/ram ratio. I'm not hurting for a video card, I've got 3070FE, the only thing that hurts is knowing that I paid $500 for an 8GB videocard in 2021. I guess I'll be waiting till RDNA3 is out.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah, I know. But I really want to stay around 200W power limit for noise and heat reasons. I know that 6700xt is sort of close but 6800 has better power/performance/ram ratio. I'm not hurting for a video card, I've got 3070FE, the only thing that hurts is knowing that I paid $500 for an 8GB videocard in 2021. I guess I'll be waiting till RDNA3 is out.

Did the 3070 die or are you going to try to flip it? Sure a 6800 would be faster but I'm not sure it would be that much of an upgrade other than the VRAM.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Did the 3070 die or are you going to try to flip it? Sure a 6800 would be faster but I'm not sure it would be that much of an upgrade other than the VRAM.
Nah, it's still kicking, it's just that until recently nvidia cards were still fetching premium on ebay over AMD so I was thinking of going back to AMD, but alas, I just can't find a deal enticing enough.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I will be watching the 3080 with 12GB of vram on TSMC silicon. I am thinking $350-450. Many may say that sounds crazy but watch close to the 40 series launch of cards. Any higher and people will wait for the next gen cards.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
08-22 may prove to be a historic moment in the annals of GPU history. That's supposedly when Newegg ships ASROCK ARC A380 6GB, priced lower than 6500 XT 4GB. Every card sold will be one less card sold for AMD/Nvidia. Let the games begin!

I'm sure that our grandchildren will be taught about that in school. End of slavery, WW II and the A380.

Seriously though, I hope the drivers are at least somewhat stable. The AV1 benchmarking of the card was very good, so it can be a good card for streamers if it doesn't crash that often.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
08-22 may prove to be a historic moment in the annals of GPU history. That's supposedly when Newegg ships ASROCK ARC A380 6GB, priced lower than 6500 XT 4GB. Every card sold will be one less card sold for AMD/Nvidia. Let the games begin!
Considering how bad the drivers are with anything which isn't a top 20 DX12 game, I think the card is overpriced.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveGrabowski
Jul 27, 2020
Still, I hope it sells decently. More $$$ = more $$ spent on improving product. The fact that it gives double digit fps at 1080p in some RT games means value conscious gamers may take a risk coz there's nothing else that can do that at that price. My cash strapped 19 year old self would have bought it.

Reactions: psolord

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I will argue that both AMD and Nvidia colluded with a 3rd party known as cryptocurrency interests who encouraged both to restrict supply.

Not likely. It's more likely that they noticed miners making huge offers to distributors for pallets of dGPUs, cutting them off from retail. They also may have noticed the distributors going along with it.

The only thing I find interesting is that AMD is apparently able to whether weather this storm without it really hurting their bottom line (see: Q2 earnings report). They even refreshed RDNA2, bloating the market with nearly-identical product (6950XT in particular). Those products are going to depreciate almost immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hans Gruber

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
AMD has all the same issues. They hide it all with increased console sales.

The console sales would have have needed to have a giant jump to counter the kind of loss that nVidia saw. Its more likely that AMD remembered the last mining craze (Which was primarily with AMD cards that go around), so they didn't go overboard with building too many GPUs.

Its certainly plausible that console sales did increase, and they might have even shifter some wafer allocations to console APUs. But its more likely that they didn't get over greedy like nVidia, and knew the mining boom was going to crash sooner rather than later. Especially since we saw the beginnings of the mining crash back in February when electricity costs skyrocketed all across europe.

Reactions: KompuKare

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Not likely. It's more likely that they noticed miners making huge offers to distributors for pallets of dGPUs, cutting them off from retail. They also may have noticed the distributors going along with it.

The only thing I find interesting is that AMD is apparently able to whether this storm without it really hurting their bottom line (see: Q2 earnings report). They even refreshed RDNA2, bloating the market with nearly-identical product (6950XT in particular). Those products are going to depreciate almost immediately.

If they weren't able to sell so many during the pandemic, then sales don't have a high cliff to dive off. :p

Jul 27, 2020
Especially since we saw the beginnings of the mining crash back in February when electricity costs skyrocketed all across europe.
So Putin saved us by making GPUs affordable again? I don't know if I want to be happy or sad. I wish these miners would all get together to make their own country where they can do as they please. Then all that's needed is a single neutron bomb :D

Reactions: Ranulf

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I mean sure, great, but RDNA3 will be AMD's first serious attempt at RT.

RDNA2 has full RT support. The performance varies depending on the implementation, but its most certainly there.

RDNA3 looks like it will certainly improve on current performance. But its very typical of AMD to do iterative approaches to things. Don't hold back a feature until its perfect. Get it out, and then improve on it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I go in and drop my best offer on the card with a little message stating that if the seller gets no bids and doesn't want the hassle to relist or look for a local buyer, I'm good on my offer.

It might be worth adding that eBay sets the default minimum offer amount to 50% of your desired Buy It Now price. If I remember correctly, that minimum value isn't shown (by default) on the website unless you open the Buy It Now options. I know I've forgotten to adjust the minimum in the past, and only realized once I started getting insultingly low offers. For example, if I'm selling a $200 motherboard, I might put the minimum offer amount at like $180... NOT $100.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
It might be worth adding that eBay sets the default minimum offer amount to 50% of your desired Buy It Now price. If I remember correctly, that minimum value isn't shown (by default) on the website unless you open the Buy It Now options. I know I've forgotten to adjust the minimum in the past, and only realized once I started getting insultingly low offers. For example, if I'm selling a $200 motherboard, I might put the minimum offer amount at like $180... NOT $100.
A lot of dopes put the minimum offer price one dollar less than the BIN. Ive made offers that showed the seller just used the Make Offer link for fun I guess, because it auto declined every offer no matter how small the difference.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
So far my offers have been sent to the seller and never just auto declined on the spot, so clearly I'm landing above whatever minimum "make an offer" price they've set (I might ask $430 on a card listed at $600 for example because I can just buy the damn card new at nearly $600).

Issue I keep running into (besides no one taking up my offers obviously) is some fool comes in and drops a +$5 bid on the card last minute and my offer is immediately dead in the water. $5 bid guy probably thinks they got a steal though.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Issue I keep running into (besides no one taking up my offers obviously) is some fool comes in and drops a +$5 bid on the card last minute and my offer is immediately dead in the water. $5 bid guy probably thinks they got a steal though.
It's worse than that. Winning the auction gives some of these cats a dopamine hit.

Newegg has the shuffle again. It is surrealistic. Same list of cards every day. The 6500XT at $140 and the GTX1650 at $159 are the only ones close to the right price. Who is entering? Tis a silly thing.

Reactions: Ranulf

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
etailers are going to have to rethink their sales policies. There's no point in making people line up to buy, when there's too much product to sell.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER