Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Still a great price. Did the winner outbid you in the last few seconds?

- Yes, seems to be the trend on ebay. Cards look like a reasonable price then suddenly there is a bidding war between presumably bots in the last 15 seconds of a listing and a half dozen bids sneak in driving the price up. I've started just putting my max bid at whatever the most I would pay for a card is and forgetting about it till I eventually get a "you won" notification.

I have a sort of mental block against going above $330 shipped on a card to get a clean doubling of performance for the same price as I got my old 980Ti in 2016, but I'm starting to realize that may not be realistic (not to mention ebay started collecting tax back in 2019, so really I'd have to pick up a card at $300 shipped thanks to CA's near 10% tax rate).

I've finally started running into games that are 'OK' but not ideal on my 980Ti. The Outer Worlds, maxed, with a 110 FOV is serviceably running at 45-55 fps, playable, but well below the 144 I'd want to get the most out of my monitor. No freesync also means more minor tearing etc.

Part of me wants to keep waiting to see if 6800 series on up drop in price, but right now those cards seem to be going for ~$500 on up. The 6700XT seems to be hitting the used price to performance sweet spot by sticking around $350.

Found another card put a bid of $320 on it. Might be a bit more competitive near the closing this time. Lets see what happens.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
- Aaaaaaannnnndddddd didn't win. Card ended up going for $340.

The search continues.

Actually im gonna make a guess, and say the 6700XT might increase in price if eth is delayed until December.
Im hearing they are one hell of a hashimoto miner, doing 45Mh @ 80W ish....
It also does other algo's at very good performance / watts, much better then nvidia.

I was almost temped to pick up a few.... Amazon has them for 440ish, and so does justgpu (newegg gpu store).

But i am really still holding out until the 4090. I don't want to throw anymore money on GPU's without knowing what the next algo is going to be, and which card mines it better.

But seriously, id get a new card and not a used one unless that 100 dollars is difference of you having to skip a few meals per week.

I always thought POS was piece of sh.. and POW was when you got knocked on your butt - sometimes resulting in a POS.

actually POS sort of does mean that... because miners wont get paid anymore, so they curse saying that coin is now a Piece of (insert the word that must not be said in tech forums here).

POW means prisoner of war... because ur stuck in the mines, hence being held prisoner all for the sake of that crypto.

(sarcasm)

Real definition is Proof of Stake, and Proof of Work.....

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
PoS for ETH may be delayed until Dec., and there's talk of an ETH PoW fork.

Nonsense. There is no such talk among the devs. Goerli testnet is almost going PoS. If that doesn't have a significant issue, we'll see PoS in September.

And there is already a PoW fork. If they make another one, it will just harm the credibility of that one.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nonsense. There is no such talk among the devs. Goerli testnet is almost going PoS. If that doesn't have a significant issue, we'll see PoS in September.
What about the MEV DDoS attack vector that they found? Surely, they'll want to come up with a solution to that issue before they go PoS on main chain.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I always thought POS was piece of sh.. and POW was when you got knocked on your butt - sometimes resulting in a POS.

For me POW always brings childhood memories of this gem, I was playing as a kid in the arcades and then my mom, scolded me for being a bad kid going there!

Reactions: MrPickins

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
What about the MEV DDoS attack vector that they found? Surely, they'll want to come up with a solution to that issue before they go PoS on main chain.

This is not some recent finding and the devs are not very concerned about this, having deemed it to be a fairly small risk. So no, PoS will not wait for this.

I'm waiting for their appraisal of the Goerli merge, but I'm not seeing anything negative for now. There will be a developer call in 3 hours time.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Won't it take months after POS for the difficulty bomb to make mining worthless? It's not like POS happens then hashrate on the network goes to zero from people quitting, right?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Won't it take months after POS for the difficulty bomb to make mining worthless? It's not like POS happens then hashrate on the network goes to zero from people quitting, right?

We can hope...then graphics card prices might return to normal. (or some semblance of normal)

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022

Yes, but it's unclear to me how fast it will go.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

PoS should split rewards between stakers and miners. If I recall correctly, eventually it'll be 100% rewards to stakers, making mining worthless. Though I haven't looked at how that's going to work recently, so it could be more abrupt than that.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I've adopted a new somewhat desperate ebay strategy: I find cards that have a high initial asking bid (and as such 0 bids) but also have a "Best Offer" option.

I go in and drop my best offer on the card with a little message stating that if the seller gets no bids and doesn't want the hassle to relist or look for a local buyer, I'm good on my offer.

No idea if this will yield ANY results at all, but I'll give it a shot.

Another interesting tid-bit: I've been looking at AMD cards almost exlusively because the couple times I've peeked the NV cards go for easily $100 more at the same tier, but after growing tired of the very limited number of AMD card listings I went over and started looking at NV cards and HOLY CRAP there are pages and pages of used NV cards out there. Like its honestly 10x the number of used AMD cards, its shocking.

Although I am looking for Raster performance (and just a taste of RT) and the AMD cards offer that in spades along with better memory configs at the price points I'm looking at, there are just so goddamn many NV cards for sale that I feel like I'll just get lucky on accident poking around there.

Reactions: Saylick
Jul 27, 2020
there are just so goddamn many NV cards for sale that I feel like I'll just get lucky on accident poking around there.
Don't even think about anything less than a 3080 12GB/6750 XT for RT. Everything else with 8GB RAM suffers drastic performance loss in RT, especially at 4K. 6700 XT is acceptable if you can find it for $350.

I was looking at the RT performance of the 3060 12GB and it seems it should be the new low end card for at least experiencing what RT is, albeit at fps as low as 16 in some games.

Reactions: Insert_Nickname

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Cards look like a reasonable price then suddenly there is a bidding war between presumably bots in the last 15 seconds of a listing and a half dozen bids sneak in driving the price up.
FWIW... it might not be bots. Back in the day, I had some success at buying old manual focus lenses from ebay by entering my max bid 10secs before the end of the auction.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
FWIW... it might not be bots. Back in the day, I had some success at buying old manual focus lenses from ebay by entering my max bid 10secs before the end of the auction.
Sniping. Sometimes you win...sometimes you lose.

Reactions: RnR_au