Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MoragaBlue

Jul 17, 2022
RE: 3070

EVGA has it direct for $489 but they charge shipping for an additional ~$20, unless you're an elite member (which I'm not) where shipping is free.

Not as if it's some great deal, more or less MSRP from a couple of years ago, but if one *must* have a card to play games today and can't get hold of a PS5/Xbox, I'd argue this is better than the ones on the secondary market especially with the prices they're asking.

*Edit*

Just refreshed and noticed it's free standard shipping for a limited time along with a $14 bonus "gaming" keyboard.

Deals are definitely getting better, and I'd wager the trend will not only continue but accelerate.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
RE: 3070

EVGA has it direct for $489 but they charge shipping for an additional ~$20, unless you're an elite member (which I'm not) where shipping is free.

Not as if it's some great deal, more or less MSRP from a couple of years ago, but if one *must* have a card to play games today and can't get hold of a PS5/Xbox, I'd argue this is better than the ones on the secondary market especially with the prices they're asking.

*Edit*

Just refreshed and noticed it's free standard shipping for a limited time along with a $14 bonus "gaming" keyboard.

Deals are definitely getting better, and I'd wager the trend will not only continue but accelerate.

Just checked. The model I had in my cart for $599 has dropped to $519. I couldn't care less about the keyboard, but maybe my grandson will want it. I'm hesitant about ordering one though...I hate to spend the $500 now...then find a suitable replacement fan for my 2070 next week for less than $50. (I've seen fans that MIGHT work ranging from about $15 to as much as $40...plus 6+ weeks shipping from China.)

Edit...the current prices for NEW are cheaper than the same cards in B-stock.

Edit again...went ahead and ordered this one:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3767-KL Originally priced at $719, I had it in my cart for several days for $599.

Now I gotta figure out how to take this darned IBuyPower case apart so I can swap the PSU to one with 2x8 pins. The current CWT in there has 1-6 pin, 1-6+2 pin. I have a brand new in the box Seasonic 750 watt that will (should) work just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: moonbogg

MoragaBlue

Jul 17, 2022
Just checked. The model I had in my cart for $599 has dropped to $519. I couldn't care less about the keyboard, but maybe my grandson will want it. I'm hesitant about ordering one though...I hate to spend the $500 now...then find a suitable replacement fan for my 2070 next week for less than $50. (I've seen fans that MIGHT work ranging from about $15 to as much as $40...plus 6+ weeks shipping from China.)

It's not a bad deal, and when I checked several weeks ago EVGA wasn't offering free shipping. To each his own but in cases like this, I tend to default to the "you only live once" philosophy and would probably just buy the new card, rather than going through the effort to fix the old one.

$500 for the 3070 & free shipping isn't horrible, all things considered.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's not a bad deal, and when I checked several weeks ago EVGA wasn't offering free shipping. To each his own but in cases like this, I tend to default to the "you only live once" philosophy and would probably just buy the new card, rather than going through the effort to fix the old one.

$500 for the 3070 & free shipping isn't horrible, all things considered.

I didn't really WANT to buy a new card...but my fat fingers in the fan kind of made it a necessity.

Reactions: moonbogg

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
FWIW, Steve sez the "Ti" models are a rip-off and not worth the price increase.

That was at launch at launch prices relative to the MSRP of the 3080 and the performance increase over the 3080. In today's market I see no reason to buy a 3080 instead of the ti model.

Reactions: Ranulf

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Speaking of prices. Nvidia today.

• Preliminary second quarter revenue of $6.70 billion versus outlook of $8.10 billion
  • Shortfall versus outlook primarily driven by weaker Gaming revenue
  • Management to discuss financial results and outlook on Aug. 24 earnings call

Reactions: Leeea

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
bitSanjay
· 4 days ago

Not sure if you heard, but ETHW will be hard forked for POW. Poloniex is supporting the fork and will list as early as 08/05. Ethereum miners will live forever :)

level 2
rudyae86
· 4 days ago

I'm guessing Nicehash will reconfigure to continue support on mining ETHW?

level 3
bitSanjay
· 4 days ago

That would be the most logical thing to do. Hopefully they are already working on it.

Oh joy, Proof-of-Work ETH mining... forever!

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Speaking of prices. Nvidia today.

• Preliminary second quarter revenue of $6.70 billion versus outlook of $8.10 billion
  • Shortfall versus outlook primarily driven by weaker Gaming revenue
  • Management to discuss financial results and outlook on Aug. 24 earnings call
Demand destruction.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Oh joy, Proof-of-Work ETH mining... forever!

Um, about that . . .

Yeah, right.... What's the ETC price? <$40 compared to $1700 for ETH. More than likely after the split ETHW price is going to similarly crater making mining completely unprofitable unless you have free electricity.

Yeah pretty much. If people wanted PoW forever, ETC already exists. Only difference between "ETHW" and ETC would be that ETC hasn't necessarily adopted any of the major on-chain updates that Ethereum has since 2017.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
This is what denial decentralization looks like.
Fixed that for you.

You are confusing people's ability to make another redactedcoin with demand for that coin. Decentralization means that someone can create another PoW coin, but it also means that unlike the dollar or euro, no one is forcing people on to it. So the coin has to compete on merit and where is the merit in a slightly worse Ethereum clone, without a solid development team behind it that makes it better, when you can have the real thing? I don't see people running out and paying millions for a Mona Lisa reproduction either.

Why would non-miners want to gamble on yet another new crypto, most of which fail, especially when ETC's price chart looks way worse than ETH's?

Consider this your first and only warning about profanity in the tech forums.
Don't do it again.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
- Aaaaaaannnnndddddd didn't win. Card ended up going for $340.

The search continues.

Still a great price. Did the winner outbid you in the last few seconds?

$340 is pretty decent for the card...depending on the brand...but snipers (and bots) usually win auctions. One reason I quit buying on ScamBay.

Edit again...went ahead and ordered this one:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3767-KL Originally priced at $719, I had it in my cart for several days for $599.

Now I gotta figure out how to take this darned IBuyPower case apart so I can swap the PSU to one with 2x8 pins. The current CWT in there has 1-6 pin, 1-6+2 pin. I have a brand new in the box Seasonic 750 watt that will (should) work just fine.
PSU change was easier than I expected.
Found a replacement fan for the 2070...and, yep, it's coming from China. I expect to receive it around Christmas. :tongueclosed:
I'm glad I got the 3070 from EVGA when I did. It's back to $599.

Reactions: igor_kavinski