Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
Reactions: Leeea

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Also depends on your sensitivity to noise. For some people 40dBA is acceptable. Others don't want anything higher than 31-32 dBA.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 12 GB Review - Temperatures & Fan Noise | TechPowerUp

What's surprising to me here is that the 6900 XT has the lowest load noise level. Zotac seems to be worse in terms of noise levels. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the review, actual figures are useful :) So the 2060 is definitely a noise producer on idle. I don't mind audible cards so much while gaming as it would be extremely unusual for me to play a game on silent (that and I'd be chasing a unicorn!), but it took me a while to make my PC virtually silent and I'm pretty pleased with it.

I don't yet have a compelling reason to replace my 380X at the moment anyway, but your information makes a 2060 a far less tempting choice now to help me avoid scratching the upgrade itch :)

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for the review, actual figures are useful :) So the 2060 is definitely a noise producer on idle. I don't mind audible cards so much while gaming as it would be extremely unusual for me to play a game on silent (that and I'd be chasing a unicorn!), but it took me a while to make my PC virtually silent and I'm pretty pleased with it.

I don't yet have a compelling reason to replace my 380X at the moment anyway, but your information makes a 2060 a far less tempting choice now to help me avoid scratching the upgrade itch :)
Undervolting & underclocking a higher tier card seems perfect for your priorities.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001

My experience with a MSI 2060Super is that its silent at idle as the fans don't run. Under load it varies by game, some games once the fans get over 2k rpm you hear them pretty well. Most games I'm more likely to hear the cpu or case fans.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm not buying unless prices drop so low that I know it's hurting someone really bad to sell at that price. I want the responsible people to suffer just like they made us suffer.
I don't think the people you are referring to are going to suffer at all. They got their money whether through scalping or mining or the companies who didn't care that cards would retail for $2500. Scalpers will still do their thing with the next cards if the stock is bad and Nvidia/AMD will still make millions anyway.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Whether they come down or not will depend on supply and the state of chips. Then you also have the price hike of the market too seeing how last series sold no matter what as soon as they showed up whether it was scalper bots or not. I don't see prices going down unless there's variable aggressive competition.

If you want one as soon as the 4 series come out sign up on EVGA queue. My 3080Ti ftw3 has up to 5 years warranty which was a no brainer to buy in case I end up in a situation where something goes wrong with my card and the stock ends up being horrible again.

I'd want more Vram for a military software app in VR so that's the only reason I'd see myself getting a 4080Ti. Heck I sold my 1080ti for a good amount too, pretty much what I originally purchased it for and that card was a trooper.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you want one as soon as the 4 series come out sign up on EVGA queue.
I thought that with the higher availability of the 3000-series, and the fact that using the queue effectively rate-limits their sales, that they were doing away with the queue system.

Have they indicated anything, pro or con, about a queue system for the 4000-series?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Official price cuts for the 3080 12 GB and up possibly coming soon.

Reactions: RnR_au and Shmee

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Jay says to buy now if you want in. Predicting another 2018 scenario where there are no 3000 cards left over when 4000 is finally released.

He also said not to buy used because it might be a mining card and you'll have vram problems. Go buy a new card now because the price dropped. No Thanks, they still cost too much especially on the low to mid tier. Should be under MSRP for a 2 year old card and a new gen coming.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I suggest waiting to mid-september at least if you can, for the Proof of Stake panic I hope to see. In general, there is just way more potential for a price drop than a price hike.

Last edited:
Reactions: amenx

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
He also said not to buy used because it might be a mining card and you'll have vram problems. Go buy a new card now because the price dropped. No Thanks, they still cost too much especially on the low to mid tier. Should be under MSRP for a 2 year old card and a new gen coming.
Jay really comes across as a shill for the industry in this video. Any reasonable person would admit that any advice they give right now is at best a guess, but Jay actually calls people idiots for not trusting his guesses.

It's just a simple fact that we are not even at the same level of price/performance we were before the crisis (remember that the original MSRP of the 3080 was $699), let alone at an exceptional price/performance level. And as you say, at this point in the lifecycle the prices should be reduced anyway.

In general, I have a pretty low opinion of Jay's ability to even judge what is good price/performance. His channel revolves around unnecessary complexity because it is cool. Even for his 11 old daughter who plays the least demanding games, he build a PC with 600 dollar motherboard, an i7 10700 and a 2080 Ti, with custom watercooling for both the GPU and CPU. And that entire build was sponsored anyway, so he got the components for free and never had to make any hard choices.

So for Jay, a 3090 Ti is great value, because it costs him $0. And a 3070 Ti is great value, because it costs him $0 to get one.

You should watch channels like Hardware Unboxed if you want real info on what is good value. Jay is like Linus, very entertaining, but bad at giving good advice and heavily corrupted by the industry.

Reactions: ZGR and dlerious

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I thought that with the higher availability of the 3000-series, and the fact that using the queue effectively rate-limits their sales, that they were doing away with the queue system.

Have they indicated anything, pro or con, about a queue system for the 4000-series?
EVGA has a queue for the 4000 series?
They don't have one currently but they have said on their forums, that if they do start one up again they will allow EVGA elite members 24hrs access to sign up first before opening it up to the public. That's how I got mine, through the elite members queue which you can get by registering an evga product on your account or by posting a certain amount in their forums,etc.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Gah, my Vega 64 is dying, so I'm going to pop in an old HD6870 that I have sitting here, waiting until the new cards come out. I'd really like to buy a card at least twice as fast, and quieter. But I don't want a new two year old card, especially anything out of a mining rig.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
It's just a simple fact that we are not even at the same level of price/performance we were before the crisis (remember that the original MSRP of the 3080 was $699), let alone at an exceptional price/performance level. And as you say, at this point in the lifecycle the prices should be reduced anyway.
Nvidia very rarely reduce prices, the card comes out and MSRP and stops production at that same price, and that's it. If you are waiting for some amazing price reduction on the Nvidia lineup it's not going to happen.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I suggest waiting to mid-september at least if you can, for the Proof of Stake panic I hope to see. In general, there is just way more potential for a price drop than a price hike.

You might be able to get a good deal if you wait until then but those good deals would have to be from used. I think that was the point of Jay's video. I suppose it's possible either or both overshoot the production cuts at the mid and low end to the point where new card prices actually increase.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Jay says to buy now if you want in. Predicting another 2018 scenario where there are no 3000 cards left over when 4000 is finally released.

Cards are still wildly overpriced. Cards at the end of a generation just now coming down to a ridiculously high MSRP set when mining was red hot and everyone had stimulus money to blow is not a good deal at all and I still wouldn't touch any gpu with a ten foot pole.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Nvidia very rarely reduce prices, the card comes out and MSRP and stops production at that same price, and that's it. If you are waiting for some amazing price reduction on the Nvidia lineup it's not going to happen.
That may be true in a stable market, but they will reduce the MSRP if they need to:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
That may be true in a stable market, but they will reduce the MSRP if they need to:

Right but nVidia also presumably ended GA102 production. So once it's gone, it's gone.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Should be way under inflated MSRP for a 2 year old card with a new coming.