Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You can actually get a decent selection of video cards like the GeForce 3060 or Radeon 6700XT on Newegg for "MSRP" now.

Sure, the "MSRP" on these cards is still around 50% more than they would have been in 2020, but at least you can buy one now.

Reactions: Frenetic Pony

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Let's not kid ourselves, no-one is simply picking up a 6400 *for a standard desktop PC capable of utilizing full-height, double-width cards*. They're buying it for niche / LP / SFF / HTPC builds.

Bingo Larry. If you have need for a low profile single slot card, your choices are severely limited.

I wonder if we'll get something from Intel in that department. That AV1 decoder sure looks nice.

Reactions: RnR_au

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
In the long term its value is just going to go down.

Duh. But there's no way it should have gone up by as much as it did, or stayed there as long as it did. There are still units selling for $1100. Used. In 2022. For a depreciation-heavy consumer item that is complete madness.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
My local Microcenter has Open Box PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT for $900. I'm almost tempted, but my 3070 is plenty fine for right now and it's not like I have time to game anyway :(

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Duh. But there's no way it should have gone up by as much as it did, or stayed there as long as it did. There are still units selling for $1100. Used. In 2022. For a depreciation-heavy consumer item that is complete madness.

That's just because you don't understand economics like most people and think that price should reflect some fairly static inherent value, when it actually represents the intersection of the supply and demand curves (where the demand curve went up a lot due to COVID and the supply curve became very price-insensitive). So the price really has nothing to do with the inherent value of the product, aside from how that impacts the price that people are willing to pay.

It's actually the price-insensitivity of demand and/or supply that is the biggest driver of extreme prices. Basic economics is that an increase in demand and/or a decrease in supply will increase the price to the point where demand goes back down enough and/or supply goes up enough to match supply with demand again. Of course, it is a bit more complex in practice because companies have been underpricing their products for a long time to cater to irrational customers who dislike capitalism and prefer shortages over actually being able to order a product.

Anyway, the more price-sensitive buyers and/or suppliers are, the less the price has to go up before supply and demand will meet. If you follow the strategy suggested by some, of buying for any price, you are part of the price-insensitive buyer group and will cause higher prices.

Basically, in a market with mostly fixed supply, the price reflects the point where enough people are priced out of being willing or able to buy the product. With high mining profits, that took a very high price.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Oh stuff it. I understand all too well what is going on. Your attitude frankly sucks.

Yeah, his price-insensitivity voodoo economics also doesn't apply to me. I have a fixed price that I'm willing to pay for a high-end video card... $420.69!

The crypto miners didn't mind paying $1,200 for a high-end video card, because it was just a money-printing machine to them. Now that crypto mining isn't as profitable, that demand is winding down and prices are becoming more reasonable.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Yeah, his price-insensitivity voodoo economics also doesn't apply to me. I have a fixed price that I'm willing to pay for a high-end video card... $420.69!

The crypto miners didn't mind paying $1,200 for a high-end video card, because it was just a money-printing machine to them. Now that crypto mining isn't as profitable, that demand is winding down and prices are becoming more reasonable.

Yeah it was a multitude of factors that all came around the same time.
1. New card release, many skipped Turing.
2. Crypto price shot up.
3. Covid so more people buying PCs
4. Supply shortages.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I can understand the $420 (;)), but where did the last 69¢ come from?

Yeah, it's an Elon Musk thing.

It makes for a fun max bid on an eBay auction, because you're basically telling other bidders that they must be high and/or they're getting screwed if they bid more than this :)

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
About a month ago the 6700XT hit £550 in the UK, which is £130 over the £420 MSRP and it is still there... also the 3060 has had a slight bump (£30) in price in the last few days taking it back above the 6600XT in price. For MSRP in the UK you can get a 3080 TI or a 3090 Ti... that's about it. :disappointed:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
About a month ago the 6700XT hit £550 in the UK, which is £130 over the £420 MSRP and it is still there... also the 3060 has had a slight bump (£30) in price in the last few days taking it back above the 6600XT in price. For MSRP in the UK you can get a 3080 TI or a 3090 Ti... that's about it. :disappointed:

Well, Nvidia stopped making 10GB 3080s because they found out people are perfectly happy to pay TWICE the price for the same card. So there's that to consider. They can make more money by selling half as many cards. The only way to stop this is to mind control the young credit card toting derps into only using cash and paying normal prices. A Jedi mind trick is what's needed. Well, that or threaten people with prison for overpaying and destroying the market. I'm fine with either.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Doesn't count. The 3080 Ti MRSP was highly inflated, because it was released during the crisis.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Doesn't count. The 3080 Ti MRSP was highly inflated, because it was released during the crisis.

True, but I think nVidia's original plan was to squeeze AMD with $699 because they are on a much cheaper node but they weren't going to sell that many at that price. It ended up not mattering of course. Without mining the 3080 Ti probally would have been $999 or $1099.