Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 93 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
I was inquiring about mining cards some time back and the few reviewers I found seemed to imply there was NO negative effects of using a mined card. (reference Ask GN) Seems now there are differing views. Maybe the people making the No negative effects were the people running the mining rigs who didnt want to see thier cards depreciate before they got rid of them?

Reactions: Leeea

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Not P&N just facts. If you have to tip toe around names to stay woke, Im sorry for you.

On top of the politics you're now insulting people by calling them woke.

I guess you don't have to behave when you're a moderator.

Double standards for the win. :rolleyes:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, there are like three classes of GPU miners:

1) The Expert
2) The intermediate
3) The absolute Noob.

#3 runs their cards at stock, hot, noisy with auto-fan, not optimized for power-saving / efficiency, cooling, or lifespan.

#2 Runs their cards efficiently, using overclock (underclock) numbers they got from YouTube. They may or may not run the fans @ 100%. They may sell their cards when they start to "run hot", because they may not know how to re-paste or replace fans properly. (*I am here.)

#1 Runs their cards fully-optimized for efficiency, runs fans @ 100% for maximum cooling, don't care about the noise, and take cards offline to clean, re-paste, and replace fans, for both maximum performance/watt as well as maximum GPU longevity.

#1 Buying used cards, you have to try to figure out which type of miner they are. Buying cards from an Expert (who probably has multiple rigs, each with multiple cards) is the best, because you know cards have been taken care of and properly refurbished.

#2 can be hit-or-miss to buy cards from. Chances are that the card needs a re-paste, and inquire the condition of the fans. If they were run close to 100% 24/7, then the fans probably need to be replaced sooner than later.

#3, I probably would try to avoid buying used mining cards from. "Run hot and put down wet" is how they ran their cards. Not recommended.

Reactions: Ranulf and Shmee

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Well, there are like three classes of GPU miners:

1) The Expert
2) The intermediate
3) The absolute Noob.

#3 runs their cards at stock, hot, noisy with auto-fan, not optimized for power-saving / efficiency, cooling, or lifespan.

#2 Runs their cards efficiently, using overclock (underclock) numbers they got from YouTube. They may or may not run the fans @ 100%. They may sell their cards when they start to "run hot", because they may not know how to re-paste or replace fans properly. (*I am here.)

#1 Runs their cards fully-optimized for efficiency, runs fans @ 100% for maximum cooling, don't care about the noise, and take cards offline to clean, re-paste, and replace fans, for both maximum performance/watt as well as maximum GPU longevity.

#1 Buying used cards, you have to try to figure out which type of miner they are. Buying cards from an Expert (who probably has multiple rigs, each with multiple cards) is the best, because you know cards have been taken care of and properly refurbished.

#2 can be hit-or-miss to buy cards from. Chances are that the card needs a re-paste, and inquire the condition of the fans. If they were run close to 100% 24/7, then the fans probably need to be replaced sooner than later.

#3, I probably would try to avoid buying used mining cards from. "Run hot and put down wet" is how they ran their cards. Not recommended.

That's just the mining tweaks. You also have to know how he cleans his cards, with some light compressed air, or a power washer:

863bb2ce-6645-488e-9e00-b2df0c02388c.jpg

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999

Im not a moderator and some people are proud of woke so its not an insult.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
^^ This is a good point, and keep in mind, not only are there different amounts of mining expertise, but different classes of "scale" or environments when talking about mining. I mean, there can be huge wearhouses full of mining rigs owned by a company, with varying degrees of temperature and humidity conditions, often based on climate and location. There are the small-time gamer-miners who may only have one computer with one card, but mine on it off and on to make the extra buck. There are small-time hobbyist miners like Larry, and me to a lesser degree, who maybe have a dozen cards or fewer, running at home, and may use them for gaming and other DC projects. Like Mark. So really it can be variable, like with anything used. It will also vary by card, as some but not all may have flashed BIOS for better efficiency.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

That was me and generally personal slurs don't matter. I live in the Caribbean and if anyone knew our culture, the idea of woke to most men would get you laughed out of the area, at least.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
That's just the mining tweaks. You also have to know how he cleans his cards, with some light compressed air, or a power washer:

863bb2ce-6645-488e-9e00-b2df0c02388c.jpg

well if they are spraying with deionized water, i guess it could be OK....
I would still then either throw it in a ultrasonic, or a basket full of rice.
However that water would cause havok with the thermal pads, and would require repadding.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
OK, this thread is getting out of control.

No more politics.
No more talking about "wokeness"
No more calling out moderators past or present.
Next one(s) gets the infractions/vacations.

Lighten up everyone.
I'll open this thread tomorrow.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Reactions: Avalon and ZGR

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Guess you can't fix stupid folks: I'm back on the market for a card after my 3080 debacle. Used card prices are in the gutter on eBay, seeing "buy it nows" on 3080's and 6800xts for $400.

New card prices have remained stubbornly high (they've dropped, but not to where I would like) so I'm still looking at used for the moment.

I'll keep updating this thread so maybe we'll have something else to talk about besides politics ;)

Reactions: ZGR and Leeea

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I can settle for used, but it needs to be from someone I can trust that it wasnt cooked.

-Ebay is so buyer friendly it's pretty much the only place I would trust for used. Shipped back (for free) a defective 3080 that the seller claimed was functional, will get my money back in a couple days. No fuss no muss.

They covered me for a fraudulent GPU listing too. Basically have a customer for life out of me.

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
-Ebay is so buyer friendly it's pretty much the only place I would trust for used. Shipped back (for free) a defective 3080 that the seller claimed was functional, will get my money back in a couple days. No fuss no muss.

They covered me for a fraudulent GPU listing too. Basically have a customer for life out of me.
Ive always either got my money back from Ebay or Paypal with over 1700 transactions on Ebay. Ive done over 300 transactions on Anandtech forums with very few issues over the past 23 years, though I admit I havent been very active for the past 10 years because I found hobbies other than computers.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Guess you can't fix stupid folks: I'm back on the market for a card after my 3080 debacle. Used card prices are in the gutter on eBay, seeing "buy it nows" on 3080's and 6800xts for $400.

New card prices have remained stubbornly high (they've dropped, but not to where I would like) so I'm still looking at used for the moment.

I'll keep updating this thread so maybe we'll have something else to talk about besides politics ;)

Where are you seeing those "buy it now" for $400?
I just checked for 6800XT and the cheapest "buy it now" that is non "for parts only" is exactly $500.
Completed listings there a a few under $500, but they are much closer to $500 than to $400.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ive always either got my money back from Ebay or Paypal with over 1700 transactions on Ebay. Ive done over 300 transactions on Anandtech forums with very few issues over the past 23 years, though I admit I havent been very active for the past 10 years because I found hobbies other than computers.
I've been stiffed two or three times by ebay. 300+, 100% rating (all as buyer). Buyer beware.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

Was stiffed once on ebay on a hard drive purchase.

I try to avoid ebay ever since.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Where are you seeing those "buy it now" for $400?
I just checked for 6800XT and the cheapest "buy it now" that is non "for parts only" is exactly $500.
Completed listings there a a few under $500, but they are much closer to $500 than to $400.

-TBF the couple listings that I'm seeing are probably all scams, they have a low rating sellers and stock/generic card images and really wonky item descripions (one lists the card as a cutting board?!) so far from representative.

Feels like prices are a lot lower (or at least start a lot lower) than they were a couple weeks ago when I initially bought.

Seeing a lot of 6700xts in the $200's, but 6800/XT/6900xts look like they're more squeezed around the $450-500 range (still way better than when I was first looking).

The volume of cards for sale isn't particularly large at the moment however.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I will buy but never sell on ebay.
I have had too many things go wrong when i was seller.

I have had the buyer say it came damaged, when it tested fine right before box up.
I have had buyer swap out the card to something else and try to return that, telling ebay and paypal i sent him the wrong item.
Lucky for me i had the entire thing documented and eventually i won, but it took almost 6 weeks.
I also had a charge back happen because buyer did a charge back on his CC and paypal took it back from me.

I swore i would never sell on ebay again. Now buy is a different story, because as long as your honest, yes paypal and ebay do have you back, and its a lot easier to prove you were in the wrong, when your the buyer then when your the seller.

I can settle for used, but it needs to be from someone I can trust that it wasnt cooked.

The problem with me is everyone i trust and know always ends up cooking their hardware.
So its like i know what im getting before hand, and i need to see how bad the fallout damage is before i can give an accurate price.

Reactions: ZGR

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
-TBF the couple listings that I'm seeing are probably all scams, they have a low rating sellers and stock/generic card images and really wonky item descripions (one lists the card as a cutting board?!) so far from representative.

Feels like prices are a lot lower (or at least start a lot lower) than they were a couple weeks ago when I initially bought.

Seeing a lot of 6700xts in the $200's, but 6800/XT/6900xts look like they're more squeezed around the $450-500 range (still way better than when I was first looking).

The volume of cards for sale isn't particularly large at the moment however.

Can you share your search parameters?
All the 6700XTs I see are $300+, with most of them closer to $400 than $300
Furthermore, there are not a lot of listings

I personally have yet to see the predicted "great flood", specially considering that some forum members were predicting 6800XT class under $300 because "RTX 4000 series is launching and mining is dead"

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Can you share your search parameters?
All the 6700XTs I see are $300+, with most of them closer to $400 than $300
Furthermore, there are not a lot of listings

I personally have yet to see the predicted "great flood", specially considering that some forum members were predicting 6800XT class under $300 because "RTX 4000 series is launching and mining is dead"

-I just search by the card name... "6700xt" or "3080" and then I typically sort by "ending soonest".

Granted, I'm sure end prices for a lot of cards end up higher and my perspective is skewed by sampling bias (I look at cards early and often, but most make offers rather than doing the bidding war thing) but the prices... feel... lower. Muh feels.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

What happened with the 3080? Did you get one and had trouble with it?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
What happened with the 3080? Did you get one and had trouble with it?

- MSI Ventus 3080 10g OC LHR (whooo thats a mouthful). Would boot into windows but got wildly unstable after actually trying to do anything. Driver would continuously crash and screen would have corruption on it. Tried a million and one fixes including buying a whole new 1000w PSU in the event that my other 1000w PSU was bad but no, it was the card that was bad.

Its being shipped back to the seller for a refund as we speak.