Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
They held a choke hold on us for 2 years. Its our turn to reciprocate. It will take everyone to cooperate. Teach them a lesson about greed for a temporary windfall. Only YOU can prevent future forest fires. We want a fire sale instead.

Sounds like you think corporations have YOUR best interests at heart instead of corporate profits and their shareholders...

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
They held a choke hold on us for 2 years. Its our turn to reciprocate. It will take everyone to cooperate. Teach them a lesson about greed for a temporary windfall. Only YOU can prevent future forest fires. We want a fire sale instead.
I'd start with the AIB's and their retail outlets.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Sounds like you think corporations have YOUR best interests at heart instead of corporate profits and their shareholders...
I certainly feel they should have my best interests in heart!

More importantly, I am concerned for the sustainability of the market, the health of PC gaming, and long term market growth over next quarter profits.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
They already got their share for the shareholders and corporate profits. Of course they could always decorate the corporate Christmas Party trees with 3080 and 3090 ornaments.

Reactions: zinfamous

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I'ma be pissed if the RTX to 3070 I just bought go on sale for a serious discount...but unfortunately, I had murdered (then later resurected) my RTX 2070. (anyone think EVGA will be giving after-sale rebates? Nah,me either.)

So far, nVidia has only done price cuts on GA102. By price cuts they probably mean like getting a 3090 Ti for a grand. If you figure the 4070 is going to be $700 and even that's several months away... there's plenty of time to clear the Ampere inventory below GA102. It sounds like they are going to write a check to Samsung for $500 million to undo the purchase obligations they made instead of taking even more Ampere.

You might get a good deal used, if you're willing to deal with the scammer paradise that's eBay.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So far, nVidia has only done price cuts on GA102. By price cuts they probably mean like getting a 3090 Ti for a grand. If you figure the 4070 is going to be $700 and even that's several months away... there's plenty of time to clear the Ampere inventory below GA102. It sounds like they are going to write a check to Samsung for $500 million to undo the purchase obligations they made instead of taking even more Ampere.

You might get a good deal used, if you're willing to deal with the scammer paradise that's eBay.

Too many miners trying to dump their worn out hardware.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Alright everyone.

In mid August I snagged a helluva deal on a Powercolor 6700XT. $344 shipped + taxes. Great deal, but not stupidly good to the point where I might suspect anything. Shortly after I paid the listing was removed from ebay and now I go back to look and the seller profile was removed as well.

So I'm pretty sure it was a scam at this point, but ebay notified me that if I paid before the listing was removed I should still get the item. Ebay recommended I wait until the expected arrival date passes, and if I don't receive the card I'll file an "item not received" claim. Given I did everything through ebay, the item was removed, and it appears that the seller has been removed, I figure getting my money back is a slam dunk so I'm not terribly worried thanks to ebay's buyer guarantee.

I figured I'd either get a card at a great price, or if the whole thing falls through then I still have until the etherium merge to potentially get the same card for less or a better card for an equivalent amount of money.

I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

- Update: Filed an "item not delivered" complaint, explained that there is no tracking, no item, and no seller. Ebay refunded the full $344 within the day.

Lock up ya vidya cards folks, I'm back on the market.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
- Update: Filed an "item not delivered" complaint, explained that there is no tracking, no item, and no seller. Ebay refunded the full $344 within the day.

Lock up ya vidya cards folks, I'm back on the market.
The cosmos is telling you to chillax my dude. We aren't there yet.

soon-very-soon-5a0f78.jpg

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Ooh... first decent nVidia deal on something below GA102 that I've seen.. Best Buy had a MSI 3070 Ti for $450. OOS now though and I don't know if you needed their scalper plan or not.

Reactions: Leeea

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Nvidia can eat all those 3000 series cards for all I care. Honestly, would take 3060 Ti for $300 without any rebates to get me to jump on an Nvidia card. Especially since there are no interesting game bundles they could do for me since the two PC games I want to play in the next few months are going to be Starfield and Atomic Heart, which are both on PC Game Pass.

Reactions: moonbogg

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Supposedly September will be "go time" for anyone rearing to go: https://wccftech.com/amd-nvidia-partners-ready-to-offer-more-brutal-price-cuts-on-gpus-in-september/

Bigger official price cuts + ETH merge at the same time. EG 6800xt for $499 or less. Goooooo

I dunno... I looked at Newegg and it still seems like anything nVidia below GA102 is above MSRP except for one 3050 at $249. That BB 3070 Ti was the first I've seen below MSRP.

And you would think that AMD would have stopped Navi 21 & 24 production immediately once crypto started to slide...

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I dunno... I looked at Newegg and it still seems like anything nVidia below GA102 is above MSRP except for one 3050 at $249. That BB 3070 Ti was the first I've seen below MSRP.

And you would think that AMD would have stopped Navi 21 & 24 production immediately once crypto started to slide...
You bring up an interesting point. If Nvidia had so much revenue dependent on the mining boom as we all accept, why in the world did they not know about the now happening POS event. They seem, from the outside to be caught almost by surprise. Not even a single employee tasked with properly monitoring a billion $ market?

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Who would have thought we would be in recession now after only 18 months of ***** The whole world is shaken up, stock market, auto market, chip market, and no good news ahead. We may see that fire sale sooner than later.