Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
etailers are going to have to rethink their sales policies. There's no point in making people line up to buy, when there's too much product to sell.
Artificial scarcity ploy maybe? Or perhaps they are relying on analytics. I have seen data that showed the more engaged clients are, the more they tend to spend annually with a biz. Reward memberships, that kind of thing. Getting shuffle alerts may increase engagement. I am mildly curious if it's working.

They are sitting on all these cards, and instead of making it the site pricing, they use the shuffle again. They have nothing to lose? Could be anyone signing up for alerts is a win of sorts.

Reactions: scineram

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
You have to remember that the vast majority of people looking to buy a GPU have no concept of what is going on in the grand scheme of things. They don't know if prices will continue to go down, or shoot back up. All they know is that cards now are half the price they were six months ago. Or people that didn't know prices were way higher six months ago, see a sale, and jump on it. Those are the ones NewEgg and such are going after.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Eddie33081

Jan 15, 2003
Im still running a R9 390 in one of my rigs. Gets the job done for some games but I want more power. Need to resist getting a 3070TI and above until the prices drop more....

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I have seen data that showed the more engaged clients are, the more they tend to spend annually with a biz. Reward memberships, that kind of thing. Getting shuffle alerts may increase engagement. I am mildly curious if it's working.

Generally, it's working alright. Here, we've seen an explosion in various loyalty programmes in the last 5-odd years.

Anything to avoid lowering prices. Worse, people are falling for it hook, line, sinker and a good bit of the rod too.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
They are sitting on all these cards, and instead of making it the site pricing, they use the shuffle again. They have nothing to lose?

The risk is eating inventory that will have to go to a liquidator. Plus nobody really knows exactly when NV will launch the 4000-series cards, or how many people will bite on AMD's RDNA3 offerings.

Reactions: Leeea

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Do we know when RDNA3 launches? Is it supposed to be before or after the RTX 4000 series?

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
Considering that some leakers are saying AIB partners already have reference AD102 boards, 4090 will launch first

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Considering that some leakers are saying AIB partners already have reference AD102 boards, 4090 will launch first

That has been clear for a long time. If 4080 is AD103, then you certainly expect it to come a bit later.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
That has been clear for a long time. If 4080 is AD103, then you certainly expect it to come a bit later.

Right, anything other than the 4090 who knows when you will see it. You could probally say the same thing about AMD and N31 too though, at least on desktop. AMD will probally still launch N33 laptop at CES.

Reactions: SteinFG and Leeea

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Alright everyone.

In mid August I snagged a helluva deal on a Powercolor 6700XT. $344 shipped + taxes. Great deal, but not stupidly good to the point where I might suspect anything. Shortly after I paid the listing was removed from ebay and now I go back to look and the seller profile was removed as well.

So I'm pretty sure it was a scam at this point, but ebay notified me that if I paid before the listing was removed I should still get the item. Ebay recommended I wait until the expected arrival date passes, and if I don't receive the card I'll file an "item not received" claim. Given I did everything through ebay, the item was removed, and it appears that the seller has been removed, I figure getting my money back is a slam dunk so I'm not terribly worried thanks to ebay's buyer guarantee.

I figured I'd either get a card at a great price, or if the whole thing falls through then I still have until the etherium merge to potentially get the same card for less or a better card for an equivalent amount of money.

I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

Reactions: scineram and Leeea

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Alright everyone.

In mid August I snagged a helluva deal on a Powercolor 6700XT. $344 shipped + taxes. Great deal, but not stupidly good to the point where I might suspect anything. Shortly after I paid the listing was removed from ebay and now I go back to look and the seller profile was removed as well.

So I'm pretty sure it was a scam at this point, but ebay notified me that if I paid before the listing was removed I should still get the item. Ebay recommended I wait until the expected arrival date passes, and if I don't receive the card I'll file an "item not received" claim. Given I did everything through ebay, the item was removed, and it appears that the seller has been removed, I figure getting my money back is a slam dunk so I'm not terribly worried thanks to ebay's buyer guarantee.

I figured I'd either get a card at a great price, or if the whole thing falls through then I still have until the etherium merge to potentially get the same card for less or a better card for an equivalent amount of money.

Just initiate the refund if the seller is no longer there in ebay. Even if it wasn't a scammer, how are they cgoind to send you a shipment tracking number if they are not even on ebay anymore?

Ebay is just delaying loss payout.

<---- speaking from experience.

Last edited:

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Alright everyone.

Ive never had a problem getting my "I got scammed" refund from Ebay or Paypal. I guess Ive been lucky but if you do honest business you usually get taken care of.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Alright everyone.

Yeah, that's the downside of going used. eBay is a scammer paradise.

Reactions: VirtualLarry