Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
Oh, I guess I didn't realize that retailers bought their GPUs from scalpers. NO WONDER retail prices are so high...

/s
Scalpers started with the price gouging and then retailers were like, hey! are we stupid to let these people make all the profits? And so the madness began. Maybe blockchain is the answer. Have a blockchain of custody showing how many hands a particular video card changed and where the greed began.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
You can't fix this with supply even if you release 10 million cards every week into the market for the next several years. If mining profitability is there, you have people or groups that will buy millions of GPUs in one purchase. They will literally buy them all and they won't stop buying them all, every week, until profitability is completely dead. GPUs print money, guys. What else would you expect to happen? People claiming that supply can fix this, how much supply would do it? I'm willing to bet that if there was suddenly enough supply to actually meet everyone's demand, there would be a very serious energy crisis.
You'd have hundreds of millions of 3080's all running full blast around the clock. It would be completely ridiculous and would completely crash energy infrastructure overnight. You'd also need other components to be made in astronomical quantities, such as PSUs, boards, risers, etc. You'd need the entire world to stop everything else and start making components for miners. It would require a global effort beyond the scale of a catastrophic world war in terms of emergency production. I think people completely underestimate how much demand there really is from miners. It's astronomically high because everyone wants free money and they will stop at nothing to get it. Keep in mind that if supply was magically adequate, demand would not stop but INCREASE. People would see that it works and literally everyone on earth would want to start mining. Everyone! Shoot, I'd start mining! I'd sell the minivan and buy a bunch of GPUs! Free money? Count me in!

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Seems GPU prices are coming down, slowly, but it seems retail prices are higher than scalper prices in some cases???

Reactions: Leeea

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Seems GPU prices are coming down, slowly, but it seems retail prices are higher than scalper prices in some cases???

That's because so many people are still so wild-eyed and foaming at the mouth to buy truckloads of GPUs that they don't bother to check prices. They just control-V their credit card info into the thingy and start pounding the enter key with both fists until there is no more stock.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
The market is starting to slide the correct way.

Video Summary:
Video from Hardware Unboxed that can be summed with GPU prices continue to fall, but not quickly enough.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think things might improve after the hilarious fervor for the 4000 series dies down, so maybe 18-24 months from now. Let's be honest, the 4080 could be $2000 and it would stay out of stock for 3/4 of it's life cycle.

Jul 27, 2020
They could implement a secure key mechanism where only large game studios are given full access to the hardware. Rest get only 1/4th of the performance. That should keep the AAA experiences great and the reduced performance should be OK for indie games which wouldn't push the hardware that hard anyway.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
You can't fix this with supply even if you release 10 million cards every week into the market for the next several years. If mining profitability is there, you have people or groups that will buy millions of GPUs in one purchase. They will literally buy them all and they won't stop buying them all, every week, until profitability is completely dead. GPUs print money, guys. What else would you expect to happen? People claiming that supply can fix this, how much supply would do it? I'm willing to bet that if there was suddenly enough supply to actually meet everyone's demand, there would be a very serious energy crisis.
You'd have hundreds of millions of 3080's all running full blast around the clock. It would be completely ridiculous and would completely crash energy infrastructure overnight. You'd also need other components to be made in astronomical quantities, such as PSUs, boards, risers, etc. You'd need the entire world to stop everything else and start making components for miners. It would require a global effort beyond the scale of a catastrophic world war in terms of emergency production. I think people completely underestimate how much demand there really is from miners. It's astronomically high because everyone wants free money and they will stop at nothing to get it. Keep in mind that if supply was magically adequate, demand would not stop but INCREASE. People would see that it works and literally everyone on earth would want to start mining. Everyone! Shoot, I'd start mining! I'd sell the minivan and buy a bunch of GPUs! Free money? Count me in!

Again "GPU prints money" has been happening since 2010, yet it is only a major problem now and just so happen it coincides with a global increase in demand for all tech stuff that has been happening since covid, a global increase in demand for electronics and microcontrollers as they are getting integrated into more stuff and some really bad decisions made by AMD, Nvidia and Intel. AMD screwed up badly in several aspects and Nvidia and Intel has been prioritizing mobile stuff too much, among other things(AMD too).

Can't see the forest for the trees, mining is part of the problem, yes, as they add demand, but mining is not the only issue here, mining profitability has been always been there, otherwise no one would have mined crypto in the past decade.

It also does not work the way you think either, if you ship 10 millons gpus to miners per week, the difficulty goes to hell and everyone makes LESS MONEY and its not profitable anymore = no one adds more cards to their rigs. Its the inflation effect applied to difficulty here. The market self-corrects, always, even with crypto. Is our interference based on emotions trying to force things that end up destroying everything.

Im not convinced that the production have increased significally, it should be at a "all time high" and i dont think it is, specially after removing mobile stuff.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
The market is starting to slide the correct way.

Video Summary:
Video from Hardware Unboxed that can be summed with GPU prices continue to fall, but not quickly enough.
The thing I don't like about these price drops is they're using ebay prices. I have less faith in sellers over there listing the true condition of the cards - it doesn't help that there's no way to check whether a new card is new or has some hours under its' belt other than looks.

I'm just about at the point where I say screw it. I'll get a console for gaming and spend the rest of my entertainment money on music, movies, bowling alley, shooting range, etc.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Again "GPU prints money" has been happening since 2010, yet it is only a major problem now and just so happen it coincides with a global increase in demand for all tech stuff that has been happening since covid, a global increase in demand for electronics and microcontrollers as they are getting integrated into more stuff and some really bad decisions made by AMD, Nvidia and Intel. AMD screwed up badly in several aspects and Nvidia and Intel has been prioritizing mobile stuff too much, among other things(AMD too).

Can't see the forest for the trees, mining is part of the problem, yes, as they add demand, but mining is not the only issue here, mining profitability has been always been there, otherwise no one would have mined crypto in the past decade.

It also does not work the way you think either, if you ship 10 millons gpus to miners per week, the difficulty goes to hell and everyone makes LESS MONEY and its not profitable anymore = no one adds more cards to their rigs. Its the inflation effect applied to difficulty here. The market self-corrects, always, even with crypto. Is our interference based on emotions trying to force things that end up destroying everything.

Im not convinced that the production have increased significally, it should be at a "all time high" and i dont think it is, specially after removing mobile stuff.

You must have failed human nature 101. In order to repair my emotional damage, I need someone to blame, and miners are the villain here. Miners are on my lawn, and they need to get off my lawn like yesterday. Also, it just so happens that miners are actually the problem here, so my primal grunts are in fact directed at the right creature. This creature has an IQ of 50, two eyes that look in different directions, and they will scratch a hole in their leg hoping it will feel good again. Also, they basically have no forehead and thus no room for brain wrinkles.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Also, people say the mining difficulty increases, but can't someone just invent another GPU mineable currency? I mean, this stuff is totally arbitrary anyway. So someone can just make another one that's mineable like Ethereum, right? And when that dies, just make another one! Why not? I can't help but feel that Crypto is just digital monopoly money. Oh, let me guess. Fiat is also monopoly money? Yeah I get it blah blah.

Jul 27, 2020
Basic human nature of amassing stuff supposed to be valuable. Diamonds are rocks. Gold/Silver/Platinum etc. are metals. Who decides these are valuable? Dickheads who own them! And the non-owners join the race, trying to best the original owners. Except the original owners have so much that the moment they perceive their position to be in jeopardy, they step up to something else they can amass and make that scarce, raising its value and resetting the damn game all over again. We could have had a world with no boundaries. A giant planetwide city of everyone co-existing peacefully and working in harmony towards the common goal of evolving humankind into the best we can be. But no, we let the dickheads dictate our future and lead us to devolution.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
Well in my local store , i have seen some adjustments from absolute insane price to insane prices. some examples:

AMD
RX 6600 XT from 799 to like 639 , prebuilds with them from 1600 to 1200 .
RX 6700 XT dropping to 799

Nvidia mainly only prebuilds are dropping 100-200 euro.

So who knows maybe this year I can get myself a midrange card , or I should be saving my bottle caps for the post nuclear wars , since oh boy the world sometimes feels like it will explode sometimes.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
So who knows maybe this year I can get myself a midrange card , or I should be saving my bottle caps for the post nuclear wars , since oh boy the world sometimes feels like it will explode sometimes.
The post-nuclear wars are something we are incapable of preparing for in any meaningful way.

Thereby, since it is impossible to do anything about that situation anyway, no point in expending effort worrying about it.

When they hit a price comfortable to you, buy one.

I have a feeling the upcoming miner crash will reduce prices more dramatically.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Again "GPU prints money" has been happening since 2010, yet it is only a major problem now

?? It was a major problem in the last ether boom in 2017 or 2018 until ether crashed. It was a major problem in the Litecoin boom until that got unprofitable to mine on gpus like Hawaii.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

notanapplefan ... prices trending downwards on GPUs.

Though I personally have my doubts that they will drop to below MSRP.

Also, crypto may have yet another mini bull-run, because "The Merge" for ETH looks like it could be delayed past June, giving potential miners more opportunity to mine for longer.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Also, crypto may have yet another mini bull-run, because "The Merge" for ETH looks like it could be delayed past June, giving potential miners more opportunity to mine for longer.

At this point, I'm starting to get the feeling that we'll still be talking about the "merge" coming in a few months in 2030.

It always seems to be getting pushed back.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
?? It was a major problem in the last ether boom in 2017 or 2018 until ether crashed. It was a major problem in the Litecoin boom until that got unprofitable to mine on gpus like Hawaii.

You are going to always have a peak in demand every time you have a major change in profitability in a crypto. The 2017 is a big example of that, and the demand got absorved almost enterely by AMD due to the RX580 eth hashrate being the same as a GTX1080 and only the GTX1080TI being faster.

Did 2017 ended in this nonsence? nop, a increase of demand happened that went mostly to Polaris first, then to Pascal. Difficulty ajusted due to new cards being added and people that already had rig switched over to eth, profitability dropped, boom over.

YET, a lot of things were diferent in 2017, starting with Polaris being a desktop-first product rather than mobile-first.
From 2017 to 2021 we saw a huge increase of priority towards mobile in all areas, and suddently they cant keep up with desktop products, specially when they have sudden peak in demand. This also happened with stuff that has nothing to do with mining. As i said AMD dried up the desktop APUs before launching Cezanne. Mining had little to do with that.
AMD stopped Polaris production in 2020 and dgpu market goes to hell in 2021 because they cant keep up with the demand now.

They moved all APU, CPU and all dGPUS to 7nm during 2020 and 2021, and stopped making all else. THAT was one of the big problems here, specially considering it is AMD, that out of the 3, that is the most "desktop oriented" of the 3 because they have less mobile market share.

The mining boom came, again, at the worst possible moment. But it is hardly the only reason for this mess.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
You must have failed human nature 101. In order to repair my emotional damage, I need someone to blame, and miners are the villain here. Miners are on my lawn, and they need to get off my lawn like yesterday. Also, it just so happens that miners are actually the problem here, so my primal grunts are in fact directed at the right creature. This creature has an IQ of 50, two eyes that look in different directions, and they will scratch a hole in their leg hoping it will feel good again. Also, they basically have no forehead and thus no room for brain wrinkles.

Well, AMD, Nvidia and Intel wants you to blame the miners and they had been very successfull at that. Yet, the ETH mining boom is over, and has been for a while now, with that reduction in demand it should be easier to get back to normal. The question now remains, if they want to return to normal now that there is proof they can charge a lot more and people will still buy it? Now is where the MSRP increases will start to matter. AMD is charging $200 for a gpu that should be $100 MAX, Nvidia is charging $250 for a gpu that should be $150 MAX, all the MSRPs increased across the board using mining as a excuse, and i dont think those are going back down. AMD even went as far as to remove all APUs below $200 and they got away with it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry