Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I'm in the same boat. Problem is, people now want that 3060 Ti at less than MSRP. I will let it rot in its coffin rather than give it away at a loss.

That's pretty irrational, because you will then just make more of a loss, just because of spite. And there is no reason for spite, since you don't actually deserve anything more than what other people are willing to offer.

It's also completely normal for second hand prices to be lower than prices from a shop, even if the condition is new. And you can get a 3060 Ti from Newegg for $360, which is lower than MSRP.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It's also completely normal for second hand prices to be lower than prices from a shop, even if the condition is new. And you can get a 3060 Ti from Newegg for $360, which is lower than MSRP.

All of those below the MSRP are those shady third party retailers with most of them have $40-45 shipping. You'd be lucky to receive a GPU... let alone what you paid for.

Newegg itself is selling an open box for $396. That's the only one they are selling below MSRP.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
All of those below the MSRP are those shady third party retailers with most of them have $40-45 shipping. You'd be lucky to receive a GPU... let alone what you paid for.

It's a Chinese shop, but it's free shipping and the shop has decent reviews: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...lhr/p/N82E16814137748?Description=rtx+3060+ti

If you buy from a rando on the second hand market, is that more trustworthy than this? Especially since Newegg provides a guarantee program for third party sellers.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's pretty irrational, because you will then just make more of a loss, just because of spite. And there is no reason for spite, since you don't actually deserve anything more than what other people are willing to offer.

I understand completely where he's coming from, though. I bught a 3060ti for $700 off of the Shuffle, near the end of the Pandemic. It was all I could do, to pick one up at all, nevermind the price.

So, I'm saving mine BNIB for a "special" gaming build for someone. I'm not just going to sell it onto the open market and take a loss. Current low used prices won't last.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
@Aikouka

No reason not to sell that 3060 Ti now. Let someone enjoy it.

Agreed. I just have a huge backlog of things I'm looking to get rid of and that's on it. 😥 I'm also getting rid of an AIO-based 3080. I had waited in the queue forever for that thing, but I just find it too noisy for my tastes. Was bad enough that I switched the HTPC that it was in to water cooling just to get a bit quieter! (Albeit, my idea of "quiet" might be skewed heavily by my desktop, which uses two thick, low FPI 360mm radiators with fans set to inaudible speeds. 😋)

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
A lot of people have purchase used cars well above retail blue book because of the chip shortage and new car shortage. When the chip market is stabilized those used cars will plummet in value and so will the new cars people paid well over sticker price for. It was their choice to buy when they did and they will have to absorb the loss when it comes. You cant run from your choices.

Reactions: thecoolnessrune

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
@VirtualLarry

It was a choice to purchase for the much increased prices. You got to game/mine earlier than if you waited for better prices, but at the cost of most likely seeing huge depreciation. You are now simply facing the logical consequences of the choice to not wait out the high prices, as well as the choice to sell the card now. Most people who bought during the boom surely are still just using their cards, not selling it, especially if they bought it at the tail end of the boom. Buying at inflated prices and then selling fairly shortly after the prices come down a lot means that you get the least value out of your purchase compared to pretty much any other choice.

Similarly, Aikouka probably would have been better off selling the card as soon as he realized that it didn't fit his needs instead of letting depreciation do its thing. But of course you guys can do what you want, there are just consequences to certain choices.

But the people who are now buying on the second hand market are not to blame for the inflated prices of the past. Most likely they are price-conscious buyers who did wait it out, losing out on an upgrade for a while, but benefiting from lower 2nd hand prices. That is their choice.

---

And Newegg is very good at making it hard to see that the cards are refurbs, so you are right. Even turning on the 'New' filter still showed me refurbs. But you can get a new Zotac 3060 Ti for $430 + free shipping, so demanding over $400 for a pre-owned card with reduced warranty and such seems like a stretch.

Reactions: Thunder 57
Jul 27, 2020
Ha. That's a bigger loss.
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush :)

I'll hang onto it and see what I can do with it in future, rather than selling it for a low price now and regretting it afterwards.

I did that before the cryptoboom by selling off RX 580 8GB and Geforce 1060 3GB, for $63 each and got a Zotac 3060 Ti which I then sold for maybe $12 profit and got a Geforce GTX Titan X for $191. This time I will try my luck by doing things differently and not selling if my minimum price isn't met.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush :)

I'll hang onto it and see what I can do with it in future, rather than selling it for a low price now and regretting it afterwards.

I did that before the cryptoboom by selling off RX 580 8GB and Geforce 1060 3GB, for $63 each and got a Zotac 3060 Ti which I then sold for maybe $12 profit and got a Geforce GTX Titan X for $191. This time I will try my luck by doing things differently and not selling if my minimum price isn't met.
Only if you can use it. It's important to understand the meaning of proverbs.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I bought a 6600 MSI Mech (you can find the hot deal thread) for nearly $500 after tax, and when they were dropping past $400 I sold it to a buddy for $300 as part of a cache of parts, including an X570 board that I got as part of a shuffle and hadn't yet used because of the chipset fan and I don't feel bad for getting that stuff gone and he saved several hundred bucks at the time and got all new parts save for the 5900X that I used for like a week before pivoting to the 3D chip.

I am saying that I can appreciate getting out from under these things, but if you aren't paying interest on them the opportunity cost is what? Could go buy some stocks? :D I can completely understand holding them until you can get some "utility" for yourself buy giving a friend or family member a solid deal.

Saw a news article about street vendors in Vietnam selling used GPUs by the kilo 😂. I can only imagine the value implosion if that happens here.

1667312053819.png

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
A lot of people have purchase used cars well above retail blue book because of the chip shortage and new car shortage. When the chip market is stabilized those used cars will plummet in value and so will the new cars people paid well over sticker price for. It was their choice to buy when they did and they will have to absorb the loss when it comes. You cant run from your choices.

It feels a bit awkward to use cars as an example. A video card is a luxury item that is generally not required. Even if we try to suggest that computers are needed, a good chunk of CPUs have built-in GPUs (and even more now with the Ryzen 7000 series), which let them at least function to assist in the required tasks. On the other hand, we may try to suggest that cars are a luxury item, but in the United States, unless you live in a very urban area, public transit is generally not that robust. What I'm trying to get at is that someone may not wanted to pay so much extra for a used car, but given the need for personal transport, it might not have been an option.

Similarly, Aikouka probably would have been better off selling the card as soon as he realized that it didn't fit his needs instead of letting depreciation do its thing. But of course you guys can do what you want, there are just consequences to certain choices.

Oh, there's no doubt that I could've made more selling the card for an inflated price.

Jul 27, 2020
Only if you can use it. It's important to understand the meaning of proverbs.
:D

It's an FE. Considered a rare luxury item in UAE since Nvidia doesn't sell it here. I know I will regret it if I sell it for lower than my purchase price. Better to keep it around and worry about its usage later. The card is built really well. Makes me glad to have it, even though the 8 GB RAM sucks.

Reactions: Saylick

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
It feels a bit awkward to use cars as an example. A video card is a luxury item that is generally not required. Even if we try to suggest that computers are needed, a good chunk of CPUs have built-in GPUs (and even more now with the Ryzen 7000 series), which let them at least function to assist in the required tasks. On the other hand, we may try to suggest that cars are a luxury item, but in the United States, unless you live in a very urban area, public transit is generally not that robust. What I'm trying to get at is that someone may not wanted to pay so much extra for a used car, but given the need for personal transport, it might not have been an option.

Oh, there's no doubt that I could've made more selling the card for an inflated price.

Chiming in here that this man sold me a launch Xbox Series X *at his cost* ahead of Christmas including his red card discount. My kids dropped hundreds (maybe more?) on this thing after getting it for Christmas that year. My wife and I have put tons of hours into it as well. I appreciate his approach to life and plan on paying it forward if I can't pay him back :)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Warms me heart to see there are others that don't follow the Ferengi rules of acquisition.

I picked up my 3060ti for $449 during the shuffle. If I breakdown the cost as a rental, I have paid less than $.20 an hour of gaming, even if I gave it away. Instead, I will sell it on to someone that can use it, for a bargain price. Then reinvest the proceeds in my next rental. It's a super cheap hobby compared to what everyone I know IRL spends money on.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Tech Yes City also reported on a decent influx of ex-mining cards in Japan. The flood might finally have started properly. Hopefully, crates of cards are getting loaded onto ships and headed this way.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Oh no problem. Nvidia will slow down the older cards in their drivers slowly but surely. I bet they have a long term plan to make RTX 3000 obsolete.

It's called an 8GB framebuffer and I am sure it will take care of everything, at least from a marketing perspective as only "low end" cards in future generations will be 8GB and lower ;)