Are they serious with 'rental versions' of movies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's not just extras. The copy of "Ted" that I got from Blockbuster had a menu option for the "Unrated" version but if you tried to select that it basically said "HA HA SUCKER!!! You gots to buy me to get this!"

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Got Ted from redbox... good movie (lil overrated)... gag reals, deleted scenes etc are only allowed if you buy the official blu ray?! I have never seen this before.

Do they really think I'm gonna go buy the $20 blu ray to see the gag reel? Is this their idea to generate more revenue? The movie made 500 million at the box office.

I should have just pirated the damn thing.

Probably some licensing agreement they negotiated with the rights owner.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
That $500,000,000.00 has to pay many people, and make up for all the stinkers that the studio launched in order to get a hit.

I don't quote people a weeks wage to do a one day job just in case I fuck it up (and I don't have 200 boardroom staff to triple check my estimate for me either. If movie studios are going to start using their flops to justify bad selling practices on their hits then they don't deserve sympathy when people pirate their movies (not that I am attempting to justify pirating films).

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Amazed that there are actually people out there defending Hollywood and the film industry ...

Amazed that people are complaining that they paid a buck and change to see a movie and didn't get the lame gag reel.

First world problems.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I do have to wonder how many people buy the full version because the rental doesn't have extras, vs. how many just get pissed at the studio's perceived slight and try to avoid giving them money again.

This is like a drug dealer giving out free samples of their cheap, awful stuff to try to entice people into buying the primo blend. It's a poor business strategy.

Corif

Jan 21, 2013
I decided to be a good sport and paid to rent the newest Resident Evil film on DirecTV..

....I should have just pirated the damn thing.

Movie was trash...so bad, I'm starting to wonder how Capcom is even allowing these folks to still make these movies.

Welp, Silent Hill is next.

RE has gone downhill fast. I'm not even sure why they even still come out in theaters. The only reason why i even rent these on netflix is because i have nothing better to do.

Silent Hill... I have to say the first one was pretty good. I will not see the second until its out on netflix. In mater of fact, i dont go to the movies theaters anymore unless its a movie like the Avengers or Batman. Something i really cant wait to see. Other then that i wait for it to come on HBO or netflix.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
I decided to be a good sport and paid to rent the newest Resident Evil film on DirecTV..

....I should have just pirated the damn thing.

Movie was trash...so bad, I'm starting to wonder how Capcom is even allowing these folks to still make these movies.

Welp, Silent Hill is next.

Yup, it was so bad... like nothing happened.

Starts with a recap of the last few movies and then all that seems to happen is the set up the next movie, which means another sequel...

Mar 11, 2004
It's not just extras. The copy of "Ted" that I got from Blockbuster had a menu option for the "Unrated" version but if you tried to select that it basically said "HA HA SUCKER!!! You gots to buy me to get this!"

If Hollywood spent half the time just embracing changing markets instead of shit like this...

I'm actually almost disappointed they haven't done some big marketing campaign trying to convince people that they're saving them money by offering "just the movie". But then openness hasn't ever been Hollywood's forte and they probably think doing stupid shit like this is being cute and fits that movie.

I do have to wonder how many people buy the full version because the rental doesn't have extras, vs. how many just get pissed at the studio's perceived slight and try to avoid giving them money again.

This is like a drug dealer giving out free samples of their cheap, awful stuff to try to entice people into buying the primo blend. It's a poor business strategy.

Yeah this has backfire written all over it.

RE has gone downhill fast. I'm not even sure why they even still come out in theaters. The only reason why i even rent these on netflix is because i have nothing better to do.

Silent Hill... I have to say the first one was pretty good. I will not see the second until its out on netflix. In mater of fact, i dont go to the movies theaters anymore unless its a movie like the Avengers or Batman. Something i really cant wait to see. Other then that i wait for it to come on HBO or netflix.

Went downhill fast? It was never on a hill. It started in a valley and somehow found a cliff to fall off of.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Probably some licensing agreement they negotiated with the rights owner.

Yeah and I would bet that Redbox is the actual culprit here. Probably got the rental copies cheaper knowing that 1% or less of renters actually give a damn about the extras.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Amazed that people are complaining that they paid a buck and change to see a movie and didn't get the lame gag reel.

First world problems.

I would agree as I haven't paid to see a movie since 2007. I am no longer within the demographic I guess.

Corif

Jan 21, 2013
Went downhill fast? It was never on a hill. It started in a valley and somehow found a cliff to fall off of.

HAHA, I cant agree more. I'm not even sure why the last one came out in a movie theater. A movie like that should've been straight to DVD. Nothing ever happened on that movie, ever. When the end of the movie came i was upset that i wasted my time watching that but i will watch the next one when I'm bored out of my mind no doubt.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
"Waaaah. $1.99 is too much to view a movie"

I am not defending RIAA or any of that crap. I am railing against the entitlement culture that some people here have. Then again, if $1.99 to rent a movie bothers you, you probably are not doing so hot, and it is just a reflection of that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
"Waaaah. $1.99 is too much to view a movie"

I am not defending RIAA or any of that crap. I am railing against the entitlement culture that some people here have. Then again, if $1.99 to rent a movie bothers you, you probably are not doing so hot, and it is just a reflection of that.

you must not have read the op.

Mar 11, 2004
Waaaah, I used poor logic to try and criticize someone and people called me on it!

Actually you were doing exactly that. Uh, ok, you're railing against entitlement culture here (which amounts to, hey I rented a movie and it didn't function like they have for you know the past what 15 years?), but you cite multi-millionaires' "risk" as a legitimate reason for stupid shit like this?

Its not even a money issue so your spiel there is just fucking dumb. Unless they made it clear that there were changes made its a pain in the ass to find out they're doing stuff like this as you won't be able to enjoy the movie (see the instances of them putting lower quality audio tracks) the same.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
You are bitching that you paid $1.99 to see something that a studio took a gamble on and fronted $65,000,000 for, and you don't get to see the "gag reel"?

If anything, you should be happy that you can see the movie legally for a fraction of the price of someone who "needs" the BR version pays for it.

That $500,000,000.00 has to pay many people, and make up for all the stinkers that the studio launched in order to get a hit.

Who pays $1.99 at redbox. I get free dvd rental codes all the time. I only ever end up paying $.34 per bluray.

As for the OP most rentals have always been stripped down. And when it comes to blurays, a lot of the time the extra features come on separate discs.

Stripping out bonus features is okay with me. Like someone else mentioned, stripping out features of bluray(DD-MA/TrueHD) is total bullshit, although they get away with it because most people listen to movies in stereo because they only listen from the speakers provided in their tv.

Last edited:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Alot of movies I get through Netflix (disc) are the same way; no extras, with a big "This disc is intended for rental purposes' stamp at the beginning.

What is worse, is that many of them have un-skippable previews. Where the retail disc allows you to select 'Root menu' whenever you want, many of these Netflix discs disable that, making you watch the Blu Ray commercials and previews.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Alot of movies I get through Netflix (disc) are the same way; no extras, with a big "This disc is intended for rental purposes' stamp at the beginning.

What is worse, is that many of them have un-skippable previews. Where the retail disc allows you to select 'Root menu' whenever you want, many of these Netflix discs disable that, making you watch the Blu Ray commercials and previews.

I've come across many retail discs that don't allow skipping.