Are they kidding with these prices?

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
i dunno, depends. Ciscos were always round 350 and good investment. If it is as good as it costs, then people will buy.
seen those gaming routers insttalled in supermarkets and warehouses

Nov 8, 2012
wtf is WiFi 6E?

I've honestly been counting down to hopefully when WiFi 7 comes out, WiFi 6 seems pretty crappy as far as an overall upgrade from 5.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Doesn't look like MRSP. 3rd party seller with only 1 review (negative) - LOL!
Pass. It will be expensive, it has 'ROG' and "Gaming' in the description. That probably adds +25% to the price :rolleyes:

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
Pass. It will be expensive, it has 'ROG' and "Gaming' in the description. That probably adds +25% to the price :rolleyes:
more like 70%. seeing what kids with "no money" have for equipment required for serious gaming makes me wonder sometimes.
father produces movies on 10th of the setup lol

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It still wouldn't reach both ends of my house without being in a mesh.

I ended up picking up 3 of those Linksys Velop nodes from woot for around $120. They drop connections occasionally, but tend to do alright since two are slave nodes. One day, I may pull some Cat6 and actually wire them together. I've just not had the will since they work good enough.

I could see buying the router in the OP if I had a small business and wanted the 2.5G connection I guess? I'm thinking if you needed the CPU on that for some complex firewalling/routing, it might be ok too...but at some point, you just buy a real small business rack-mount and call it a day. Most of the Cisco hotspots you see are all made so they can be ceiling mounted and you don't see them. Same for the lower-cost Ubiquiti ones... Not sure this makes sense unless you just need one.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i've given up on a decent wifi connection and just accept that ill never play quake decently again until i have my own fucking house. with a wired connection.
Not just because wifi is bad (i mean, compared to the wifi of 20 years ago, it's stellar), but because wifi means shared usage. And in the last 10 years everyone and his dog have started using data-heavy apps. Go explain to a guy who doesnt know what RAM what's wrong with him keeping netflix running while he sleeps.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yep, ROG automatically adds a premium.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
$500+ "mid-range" motherboards, $500+ routers, and $3000+ flagship GPUs.

What a time to be an PC hardware enthusiast. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: BudAshes

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Not just devices, so many unsold Ford trucks piling up in storage lots due to chip shortage.

Reminds me of the witch king of Angmar's helmet.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
but... but... it's the BESTEST AND THE FASTESTEST !!!!11!!!1!! :p

(right?)

Not only that it will continue to be best/fastest for at least another week or two!

Seriously unless "shiny RGB" is top priority for you I would hold off .... my 17 year old Belkin PRE-N router is in reality plenty fast enough for pretty much anything I ever use wifi for. If it didn't require daily re-boots (and fall a bit short on security!) I would still be using it.

Replaced it with a cheap Linksys AC-1300 wifi 5 mesh router and almost a year in it's been problem-free plus substantially faster than my internet connection is capable of even under heavy usage.

Linksys Max-Stream AC1300

Last edited:

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Never buy from 3rd parties. EVER!!!!!!
Dumb people buy from third parties. It's fucking A-M-A-Z-O-N. Literally the only other company with that much buying power on the planet is Walmart. If they don't have it, just wait and they will get it. If they can't get it, your are being screwed.
If the price is not consistent with Microcenter, Amazon, Newegg, eBay, etc. You are likely getting shafted. Take a pass and don't be a dumb ass.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Never buy from 3rd parties. EVER!!!!!!
Dumb people buy from third parties. It's fucking A-M-A-Z-O-N. Literally the only other company with that much buying power on the planet is Walmart. If they don't have it, just wait and they will get it. If they can't get it, your are being screwed.
If the price is not consistent with Microcenter, Amazon, Newegg, eBay, etc. You are likely getting shafted. Take a pass and don't be a dumb ass.

Prices for Wifi 6 routers are pretty good right now and they have them in stock. The 6E is not ready for primetime....yet.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ASUS ROG + AURA RGB + Gaming + 2.5G ~ +$100-150 dollars / word.

Yup seems like typical ASUS marketing.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante
Nov 20, 2009
I'll stick with my wired solution on my decade old Gigabit solution that now is the same on both sides of my gateway.