Are these temps acceptable?

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
You, uh, might want to tell us what kind of processor it is, and what kind of heatsink you have.

But that doesn't look totally unreasonable, at least for a fast P4 or Athlon...

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Oops!

AMD Athlon XP 2000
MSI K7N2G-ILSR (NFORCE-2)

ThermalTake Volcano...7-I think

Pauli

Oct 14, 1999
WOW! 6136 CPU fan speed?!?!?!?!? That thing must sound like a jet engine!

wkwong

Banned
May 10, 2004
thats fine, although cpu temps could go as low as high 20s. but judging from your case temp, it must be pretty warm in your room or wherever you keep your computer. the room temp makes a huge diff in temperatures, so dont be alarmed if your readings are high on a hot day.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Pauli

LOL, my last CPU fan ran at 7800+ rpm. OMG that thing was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo freakin' loud.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
So... What were the mistakes?

Well, they tried to combine the Arctic Silver 5 guide with the guide for standard Arctic Silver.

At one point, the instructions say to put a blob of goop on the heatsink. Then it tells you to skip the tinting instructions if you are using Arctic Silver 5. It kind of ignores the fact that you have an uncentered blob of goop on your heatsink, and tells you to place it back on the processor. Without spreading the goop or wiping it off (like you would do with standard Arctic Silver), the blob would surely squeeze into the cache memory chips and other tiny components around the core. Because Arctic Silver 5 is slightly capacitive, this would be disasterous.

Originally posted by: charloscarlies
Originally posted by: Pauli

Yes. I can't even find this particular model of HSF on ThermalTake's site.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Ichinisan
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
So... What were the mistakes?

Well, they tried to combine the Arctic Silver 5 guide with the guide for standard Arctic Silver.

At one point, the instructions say to put a blob of goop on the heatsink. Then it tells you to skip the tinting instructions if you are using Arctic Silver 5. It kind of ignores the fact that you have an uncentered blob of goop on your heatsink, and tells you to place it back on the processor. Without spreading the goop or wiping it off (like you would do with standard Arctic Silver), the blob would surely squeeze into the cache memory chips and other tiny components around the core. Because Arctic Silver 5 is slightly capacitive, this would be disasterous.
You would need a heck of a lot of AS5 for it to squeeze out far enough to reach the components around the core. :confused: Don't, uh, use the whole tube on one CPU. ;)

FYI, the cache is all within the die itself.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
You would need a heck of a lot of AS5 for it to squeeze out far enough to reach the components around the core. :confused: Don't, uh, use the whole tube on one CPU. ;)

There are small components all around the core of an AMD Athlon XP CPU, practically touching it. The blob is not centered. It would more-than-likely be squeezed into those components.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
More useful to chekc actual Windows temps. BIOS temps aren't much use, they usually seem to be a bit lower thna Windows temps.

And that HS/F is very load at max speed, I know, I have one, but if you have music or something on all the time like me, you don't really notice it, so it's a non-issue.

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
eh the components are far away, you put on goop with a trowel or something? should be paper thin, would need to be using way too much goop to be slopping about near it. maybe youve got some freaky die or something but most people's XP's look like these

fwiw i guess theyre missing a step on the printed instructions, because the online instructions show putting a blob on at step 7, then step 8 is the spreading it about on the heatsink base - which you can skip with AS5, and then step 8 -- which doesnt say to skip for AS5 -- is back to the cpu and its blob, saying to spread it out on athlon XP's.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999

There are small components all around the core of an AMD Athlon XP CPU, practically touching it. The blob is not centered. It would more-than-likely be squeezed into those components.
Better do a reality check, bro :) I'd do a photo to help out here, but my digicam is at work.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Davegod
eh the components are far away, you put on goop with a trowel or something? should be paper thin, would need to be using way too much goop to be slopping about near it. maybe youve got some freaky die or something but most people's XP's look like these

fwiw i guess theyre missing a step on the printed instructions, because the online instructions show putting a blob on at step 7, then step 8 is the spreading it about on the heatsink base - which you can skip with AS5, and then step 8 -- which doesnt say to skip for AS5 -- is back to the cpu and its blob, saying to spread it out on athlon XP's.

The ONLINE INSTRUCTIONS say to skip the step where you spread it into a thin layer (using AS5). READ MORE CAREFULLY, PLEASE.

batmanuel

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
Do you know what version of the XP 2000+ you have? Palomino, T-Bred or Thorton?

If you have the Palomino core, you can expect your processor temps to be on the high side because those chips used a 0.18 micron process that was pretty much maxed out at 1.67 GHz (which is why the old 2000+ chips didn't OC worth a darn). The T-bred and Thorton versions of the 2000+ have a 0.13 micron die so they run a bit cooler. I used to have a 2000+ Palomino and it ran a heck of a lot hotter than my current 2500+ does (using the same Aero 7 Lite HSF and same Coolermaster/ShinEtsu thermal compound). The difference was something like 10C higher under load for the 2000+ (if the chip's thermal diode was accurate), despite the fact that the 2000+ was the slower of the two chips.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: batmanuel
Do you know what version of the XP 2000+ you have? Palomino, T-Bred or Thorton?

If you have the Palomino core, you can expect your processor temps to be on the high side because those chips used a 0.18 micron process that was pretty much maxed out at 1.67 GHz (which is why the old 2000+ chips didn't OC worth a darn). The T-bred and Thorton versions of the 2000+ have a 0.13 micron die so they run a bit cooler. I used to have a 2000+ Palomino and it ran a heck of a lot hotter than my current 2500+ does (using the same Aero 7 Lite HSF and same Coolermaster/ShinEtsu thermal compound). The difference was something like 10C higher under load for the 2000+ (if the chip's thermal diode was accurate), despite the fact that the 2000+ was the slower of the two chips.

How can I tell which one I have? AMD's utility was no help.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Try the CPU-Z utility, it'll tell you not only the core version, but some other potentially-useful stuff like bus speed and multiplier. :)

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
The ONLINE INSTRUCTIONS say to skip the step where you spread it into a thin layer (using AS5). READ MORE CAREFULLY, PLEASE.
LOOKS TO ME LIKE THEY SAID to skip the step where you spread AS about on the heatsink base (step 7, where to say

Note:
Arctic Silver 5 is much thicker than our earlier silver compounds and it is very difficult to rub it into the base of the heatsink. With it's superior flow characteristics, the tinting steps can be skipped when using Arctic Silver 5.

Tint the bottom of the heatsink...

and nothing about skipping step 8 for any paste, which is about "Spread the Arctic Silver thermal compound over the CPU core".

tinting = working the goop into the cracks etc in the base of the heatsink, which has the effect of slightly discolouring (or tinting) the heatsink base <- skip wih AS5
tinting != spreading a thin even layer on the cpu die <- dont skip with AS5.

MAYB YUO UNNERSTAND NOW?