Are these shots depressing enough for you?

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Gentlemen, your opinions please.

Edit: Thank you everyone, I got enough responses for these sample shots. I have some more model shoots coming up, so make sure to look for more samples soon.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I think she has to much make-up on, but I like the natural look.

The first one has a nice effect though.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I think the dripping eye liner looks far too fake. Or maybe it's just because we're looking at all the pictures and it's the same.. heh. 1st one needs more bokeh. I favor the 3rd one.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: randomlinh
I think the dripping eye liner looks far too fake. Or maybe it's just because we're looking at all the pictures and it's the same.. heh. 1st one needs more bokeh. I favor the 3rd one.

i agree. there's something that just makes me not like the photos at all, and i think its the "emo" look to them or maybe just to the model. too much emo-ness and it makes me want to punch the model, lol.

or something like that. basically, i don't like the subject of the photos.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

i agree. there's something that just makes me not like the photos at all, and i think its the "emo" look to them or maybe just to the model. too much emo-ness and it makes me want to punch the model, lol.

I love you guys, you are so harsh and brutal and to the point. Once I do a shoot I usually post a few 'test shots' for critique and I think I will definitely use this forum more often.

Ok, the theme for this shoot was despair / suicide, and I was going for very downtrodden, very depressing type of a look. Ok guys , thanks again.

Edit: Oh sorry I didn't address the point about the bokeh. For that shot I actually lowered my shutter speed below the 1/focal point rule for more DoF. I think I was at f/4.5 and I lowered my shutter speed to get it up to f/7.1 (I think it was) to show more of the background.....so that shot intentionally came out that way.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: IeraseU
Edit: Oh sorry I didn't address the point about the bokeh. For that shot I actually lowered my shutter speed below the 1/focal point rule for more DoF. I think I was at f/4.5 and I lowered my shutter speed to get it up to f/7.1 (I think it was) to show more of the background.....so that shot intentionally came out that way.

Oh, my point was more that I found the sand detail to actually be a bit distracting. But I also prefer to shoot between wide open and ~f 4/5.6, so I may be biased :)

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Gentlemen, I do appreciate the feedback. Even if I may not always agree with it, I like the insight from another pair of eyes. Anyway, I have an upcoming shoot with an exotic looking (olive skinned, light eyes) south american brunette and she has a great figure..........so hopefully I can really make the best of that opportunity.

Edit: Is it allowed to post partial nudity here, or is that a no go? I want to do some artsy nudes, it would be my first time so I'd like feedback.

Oct 19, 2000
Ya, you should've left them up. Anyway, when I looked at them last night, the one thing I thought you should work on was the pose of her face. In all 5 or 6 shots you posetd, her expression was exactly the same, and her head was tilted at the angle and to the same side in all of them. Mix it up a bit, with the head at different angles, looking elsewhere, with different expressions. That's cool that you had a theme, but surely there are more looks of despair and suicide than the one you showed :D.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Basically I just put a few up on samples for critique on a few different forums (and to a few people locally). I didn't take them down really, just removed the links from the OP.

The way I process my shots is a two step process. I'll pick a few from the group as a 'sample' and process those and put them up for critique. After that I'll listen to the criticisms and re-adjust or make any final decisions artistically before considering them 'done'.

After the shots are 'done', I typically remove them.

Edit: You'll eventually see the best ones I choose on my website.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex

I love you guys, you are so harsh and brutal and to the point. Once I do a shoot I usually post a few 'test shots' for critique and I think I will definitely use this forum more often.

Ok, the theme for this shoot was despair / suicide, and I was going for very downtrodden, very depressing type of a look. Ok guys , thanks again.

just so you know, i thought your photos looked good in the technical aspect, i just hated the subject.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Basically I just put a few up on samples for critique on a few different forums (and to a few people locally). I didn't take them down really, just removed the links from the OP.

The way I process my shots is a two step process. I'll pick a few from the group as a 'sample' and process those and put them up for critique. After that I'll listen to the criticisms and re-adjust or make any final decisions artistically before considering them 'done'.

After the shots are 'done', I typically remove them.

Edit: You'll eventually see the best ones I choose on my website.
So are you posting for positive re-enforcement or for critique?
Your process doesn't make sense.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Well I take critiques from difference sources to get a wider sample. I know for example on photography based forums critique tends to be technical........things may be pointed out such as DoF, tilted horizons, any blown highlights and things of that nature. Typically I just want some quick feedback from a few sources..........just enough to maybe notice some things I didn't notice on my own and that's basically it. As a rule I don't really want to display photos outside of my website, but once I have everything up I'll probably post a link to that page on the Off-topic forum and some other sources.