Are these seriously the best we can find to run for the president???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Who are the real republican candidates?

They're all the "real" republican candidates until they get elected put out their shitty policies and then they become "rino"s and everyone moves on to the next "real" republican they want elected; don't worry about electing that other guy he was just a rino our next policies (the same ones over again) will be great!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the very notion of wanting to be President weeds out the people best capable of serving the office.

with regards to the specific Republic field this election cycle, many A-list names are sitting it out under the assumption that Obama is going to win (beating a sitting President is hard to begin with, but Obama in particular is both a great campaigner and sitting on a billion dollar warchest).

I expect that in 4 years, we'll see Mitch Daniels, Chris Christie, Paul Ryan, and John Thune all in the race (obviously baring any scandal and who knows wtf could happen between now and then)

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
all the real republican candidates know they can't beat Obama... so they're sitting this one out.

they're giving the 4th liners a chance to step up to the plate...

it's like when your team is down 99-0... you're gonna let the 3rd stringers get some play time because... i mean... you've already lost... so why not?

We have a winnar!!

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
the very notion of wanting to be President weeds out the people best capable of serving the office.

with regards to the specific Republic field this election cycle, many A-list names are sitting it out under the assumption that Obama is going to win (beating a sitting President is hard to begin with, but Obama in particular is both a great campaigner and sitting on a billion dollar warchest).

I expect that in 4 years, we'll see Mitch Daniels, Chris Christie, Paul Ryan, and John Thune all in the race (obviously baring any scandal and who knows wtf could happen between now and then)

Add Jeb Bush to that list.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The republican selections are crap and so is the democratic mandated candidate. You pick one from column A or one from B.

This is as good as it gets.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
How is that any different than how democrats find their candidate? Of course they will be more ideological than the general population. It is the party voting for their guy. It is how the democrats shit out John Kerry in 2004 and skipped over Hillary in 08.

This

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I disagree. Kennedy and FDR wanted to be President.

Presidents used to pretend not to want it more - now it's more honest.

What's disqualifying isn't that - it's the willingness of candidates who will put the interests pretty much needed to get elected ahead of the public because of money in elections.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
all the real republican candidates know they can't beat Obama... so they're sitting this one out.

they're giving the 4th liners a chance to step up to the plate...

it's like when your team is down 99-0... you're gonna let the 3rd stringers get some play time because... i mean... you've already lost... so why not?

That's bull. If all the real republican candidates know they can't beat Obama, they're just as much of a turd as any other republican. Obama has a horrible reputation now. Democrats hate him, republicans hate him more. He's known as the president that didn't live up to any of his promises, and the economy is doing worse than ever.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I disagree. Kennedy and FDR wanted to be President.

Presidents used to pretend not to want it more - now it's more honest.

What's disqualifying isn't that - it's the willingness of candidates who will put the interests pretty much needed to get elected ahead of the public because of money in elections.

Kennedy and FDR both sucked as President.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Looks like you have to go full stupid to get the nomination. I guess it should have been rather obvious that we have the field we have. No rational person who isn't willing to lie through their teeth would be able to get the nomination with these voters.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Even the 2016 crowd is crap. Jeb Bush? Chris Christy? Mitch Daniels? Who?

LOL, had Mitch Daniels run this year, he'd be the best candidate of either party by a longshot. He wisely is sitting it out, however.

Last edited:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Looks like you have to go full stupid to get the nomination. I guess it should have been rather obvious that we have the field we have. No rational person who isn't willing to lie through their teeth would be able to get the nomination with these voters.

This. Our president is a reflection of the American people, a rather sad clownish one at that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Heh. Righties are so cute when they're in desperate denial. When the contradictions in what they believe start to become overwhelming, indefensible, they divert & attack.

The reason that the Repub contenders for the presidential nomination are so miserable is because they have to win that nomination with the votes of people who function on the basis of ideological twaddle, the Repub base.

Yep- magical thinking will solve all our problems.

How is that any different than how democrats find their candidate? Of course they will be more ideological than the general population. It is the party voting for their guy. It is how the democrats shit out John Kerry in 2004 and skipped over Hillary in 08.

20 years ago, the radical wing of the Repub party set out to propagandize & radicalize their base, and the party itself.

And they've succeeded, but failed to account for the law of unintended consequences. That radicalized base has been winnowing the selection of future leaders. So it's a self reinforcing phenomenon. If the leaders don't pander to an increasingly delusional base, they can't obtain their party's nomination. And yet in doing so they turn off more & more swing voters.

Not to mention that the seniority system in Congress puts the most radical Reps & Senators at the top of the heap, simply because they have the most delusional voting base keeping them in place.

It's gotten so bad that even a fairly radical Rightie like Boehner has trouble holding his caucus & leadership together. They've created a monster, but they can't let go of it, and they can't moderate because their base has become less than rational, thoroughly propagandized. You can't back away from that, at all, or they'll attack you, too...

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
tumblr_lrufh17cAt1qd5idfo1_500.jpg

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
@WhoBeDaPlaya

I laughed... goto the official National republican committee website and they have the stars actually inverted in their GOP/elephant logo... *goes hhhmmmmm*

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
That alone should be very scary to us in the USA. They really can't be as stupid as they seem can they? Every time I hear them speak I am blown away how ignorant, illogical, and sometimes crazy they sound.

I was hoping to find a candidate that would give me a choice between them and Obama, but with this field I already know who I will be voting for for president. It's sad too, this is a time where republicans could have easily swayed many people away from Obama. But this field went full crazy and I don't know how they can really come back from that when they try to win in the general election.

Watch the movie Idiocracy. That is our future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0yQunhOaU0