Question Are these junk??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
https://www.newegg.ca/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-rx-5700-challenger-d-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930021

It's about $334 USD all-in with shipping and taxes. I just sold my 1070 (for $285 CDN) in anticipation of the new cards releasing, but all I really need is to increase my lows in DCS from 37 to over 45. This card is pretty tempting at that price (if it comes in stock again). What concerns me is AMD's drivers (I use multi-monitor for my Cougar MFD's in DCS), the 2-8pin power requirement of this card, and the reviews I've seen for ASRock cards...not good. Anyone have any experience with this one?

I'd maybe look at this card, but it's $132 CDN more:

https://www.newegg.ca/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-100416p8gl/p/N82E16814202349?Item=N82E16814202349

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Used PC parts market has been nuts, I agree. It's been touched on here before, but there are mysteriously many off lease business PCs (including workstations) you can typically find for cheap but recent video cards, i7's, the peak CPU's for a given socket, etc. have all surged in value.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've felt some insecurity about being able to get quality parts in the future (deteriorating relations with China would be pretty terrible on the supply side) and admit to buy some used parts that I didn't "need" because my shelves were too bare.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
2080Ti is poor at mining for the price. Eth hashrate is about the same as a 5700XT.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
As if reading my mind, this video popped up in my home youtube screen today (skip to 4:45):

I was 'discussing' a guy's price for a 1080ti on Kijiji (he was asking $650 CDN, EVGA card). He ended up selling it today (he says) for $600. I figure if the RTX 3060 meets specs the 1080ti will (should) be worth about $300 CDN a month from now. He found a sucker to buy it though :confused:

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
As if reading my mind, this video popped up in my home youtube screen today (skip to 4:45):

I was 'discussing' a guy's price for a 1080ti on Kijiji (he was asking $650 CDN, EVGA card). He ended up selling it today (he says) for $600. I figure if the RTX 3060 meets specs the 1080ti will (should) be worth about $300 CDN a month from now. He found a sucker to buy it though :confused:

Most 1080ti cards are so beastly and well built it wouldn’t shock me if they hold their value long after you think they should. Especially since their 11GB of memory is going to be prized above many 8 GB cards, deserved or not. Hopefully it does mean plenty of deals to be had on 1060s through 1080s though, they should value depreciate a bit!

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Most 1080ti cards are so beastly and well built it wouldn’t shock me if they hold their value long after you think they should. Especially since their 11GB of memory is going to be prized above many 8 GB cards, deserved or not. Hopefully it does mean plenty of deals to be had on 1060s through 1080s though, they should value depreciate a bit!

Yah, without knowing how much memory the 3060/3070 will have (8 - 16GB), it's hard to speculate. To me, 11GB isn't enough of an upgrade from 8GB as I rarely see usage even approaching 8GB in any game at 1440p (other than DCS), and how much of that is even being 'used' and not just 'allocated' is debatable. Stuttering is my indication that something is insufficient. Right now game designers would be shooting themselves in the foot in a big way requiring more than 8GB to run a game.

I don't care how much memory they have though, spending MORE ($600) for a USED card with no warranty, less performance and less features than the new ones is daft on any level.

This has likely been discussed on other threads, but I think AMD is nuts not to have any details this close to Nvidia's launch. Maybe as some suggest they will surprise everyone on Aug. 31st to upstage Nvidia (which would be brilliant), but if they don't say something soon they will lose a lot of sales and stay where they are with only a fraction of the GPU market:

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-market-share-q2-2020/

As always, I'm pulling for AMD to hit it out of the park for the benefit of all of us. I'm going to be patient and wait until the end of December if need-be, but most won't and will buy Nvidia if AMD is still 4 months out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Hawk

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Having just read @DAPUNISHER 's recent thread on the significance of cleaning out drivers when you install a new GPU made me think back to this thread and a couple things you said:

Did you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to install the drivers (DDU, lowering voltage, etc)? Did you have an AMD card before this one? I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, but I'm maybe just getting lazy and like the plug-and-play of Nvidia cards. I just dropped in my old 1060 3GB card when I sold my 1070 and didn't even have to reinstall drivers. I also haven't owned an AMD/ATI card since my X1600 Pro.

On DX 12, again, I don't follow it that closely, but it doesn't matter what game I try to enable it in, it doesn't work. I thought it may be some issue with my 1070, but the same applies for my old 1060 and my son's 1660 Super...the game will either crash with DX12 enabled, or stutter/pause so hard it's unplayable (The Div 2). Nothing changed either when I went from my i5 4670k to the 3600. I don't play the EA games (BF V, Battlefront 2, etc) but rather use them for testing sometimes, and DX 12 is a no-go in all of them too. Is this a Win 10 bug or hardware/driver related?

These may be related. If you didn't reinstall your drivers when going between a 1070 and 1060, when did you last update your drivers? Dapunisher's thread showed that even though an Nvidia card may still "work" if you just drop it in be without reinstalling drivers, performance can still suffer. And keeping drivers up to date is pretty crucial to ensure the best performance in new games.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Yah, without knowing how much memory the 3060/3070 will have (8 - 16GB), it's hard to speculate. To me, 11GB isn't enough of an upgrade from 8GB as I rarely see usage even approaching 8GB in any game at 1440p (other than DCS), and how much of that is even being 'used' and not just 'allocated' is debatable. Stuttering is my indication that something is insufficient. Right now game designers would be shooting themselves in the foot in a big way requiring more than 8GB to run a game.

I don't care how much memory they have though, spending MORE ($600) for a USED card with no warranty, less performance and less features than the new ones is daft on any level.

This has likely been discussed on other threads, but I think AMD is nuts not to have any details this close to Nvidia's launch. Maybe as some suggest they will surprise everyone on Aug. 31st to upstage Nvidia (which would be brilliant), but if they don't say something soon they will lose a lot of sales and stay where they are with only a fraction of the GPU market:

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-market-share-q2-2020/

As always, I'm pulling for AMD to hit it out of the park for the benefit of all of us. I'm going to be patient and wait until the end of December if need-be, but most won't and will buy Nvidia if AMD is still 4 months out.

Oh, my point wasn't that the memory amount makes that much difference really, but people who are less educated are going to see that much ram and "know" it's a really good card and be willing to spend $$$ on it.

Crap, at this point it will have more than a 3080.

Again, I just think it these shoppers that will keep *both* the 1080 ti and 2080 ti models values high for a long time. Whether that is deserved or not, IDK, but I don't think a purchaser of either of those cards is going have much to regret for the time being.

Also, to be fair, it seems like the new consoles are going to be pushing in memory contents a bit with their larger 16GB memory pools and always present, very fast SSD drives.

Which, as a sidenote, I would be very bummed about spending over ~$500 and not having as much framebuffer as the new consoles coming out. I feel like that 320b bus is really putting nvidia in a bit of a bind on those 10GB models.

Two years from now sure, it might be really fast memory but if it's constantly swapping that will be a big bummer.

(sorry for the ramble)

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Oh, my point wasn't that the memory amount makes that much difference really, but people who are less educated are going to see that much ram and "know" it's a really good card and be willing to spend $$$ on it.

Crap, at this point it will have more than a 3080.

Again, I just think it these shoppers that will keep *both* the 1080 ti and 2080 ti models values high for a long time. Whether that is deserved or not, IDK, but I don't think a purchaser of either of those cards is going have much to regret for the time being.

Also, to be fair, it seems like the new consoles are going to be pushing in memory contents a bit with their larger 16GB memory pools and always present, very fast SSD drives.

Which, as a sidenote, I would be very bummed about spending over ~$500 and not having as much framebuffer as the new consoles coming out. I feel like that 320b bus is really putting nvidia in a bit of a bind on those 10GB models.

Two years from now sure, it might be really fast memory but if it's constantly swapping that will be a big bummer.

(sorry for the ramble)

I agree with everything you said. Now that the rumours are true and the cards are released, I may actually wait for a 16GB 3070 (or whatever it bumps up to) only because of the eventual resale. On the other hand, I expect it to be a 10 year card for me (at 1440p it will be overkill if it matches the 2080ti) so 8GB may be enough, and in 10 years, who really cares about resale?