Are there people here that have never seen the ocean?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
To me, who spent most of my life near the sea it seems weird to think some adult people have never even seen it. However I suppose people living inland a thousand miles from the ocean it's pretty common. Who here has never seen the ocean with their own eyes? Or who here has seen it, but never gone in it?

I, myself, only touched snow for the first time a couple of years ago (and I'm pushing 30)

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
I had some friends come out from WI (I'm in NJ) and that was one of the first things they wanted to do because they had never seen an ocean.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I've seen the Ocean and have touched snow. That is how bad ass I am.

BTW: I wasn't the same day though.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Jhill

Can....can I just stand near you a bit? I want your badass to rub off on me.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
I hadn't seen an ocean before I was 30 years old. I live in Wisconsin and my parents never traveled outside the state. Within the last 2 years I have had the opportunity to visit 3 other countries and I have now seen the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean sea. I haven't swan in them but I have waded in them on the shore.

I've touched more snow than I care to remember and I get the unfortunate task of touching(shoveling) more tonight. I hate this weather.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000

I have touched snow and the ocean in the same day. Does that make me more bad ass than you?

Kabrinski

Oct 21, 2002
Until 2 years ago, I hadn't seen the ocean. Was in Cali in April '06 for work and then in Florida in Aug '07 for vacation. Stood in Pacific. Swam in Atlantic.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Crucial

I have touched snow and the ocean in the same day. Does that make me more bad ass than you?

Stop lying. Seriously. No one has done or could do that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

i have done it too.

went to nicaragua in february, and when i flew back, there was still snow on the ground!

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Wow... I just realized that I can't remember ever seeing the ocean. I went to Hawaii when I was 4 or less, but can't remember a thing. In the 17 years after that, I haven't visited any place near an ocean. I live about 20 minutes from a pretty big lake though.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i grew up on the west coast and then joined the US Navy, so I spent almost 2 years at sea, of which 98% were submerged in the north pacific ocean

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: purbeast0

i have done it too.

went to nicaragua in february, and when i flew back, there was still snow on the ground!

yep, I've flown from Florida after departing a cruise, and returned to snow. Saw the ocean and then touched snow. I was very much disappointed. lol

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

Chuck Norris could, and probably has.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Some people have never seen snow in their lives. I want to see it before I hit 30.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
When it snows here in Hawai?i, people sometimes drive up the mountain and come back with a pickup truck full of snow. You see snowmen popping up in the oddest places: outside the veterinarian's office, or on a street corner downtown. Of course, Hilo itself is an odd place to see a snowman.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
I've seen the Golf of Mexico because of a trip to Huston, and I've been on and in Superior twice, but I've never seen the ocean.

I've also never been on a flying vehicle of any sort...

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I hadn't seen an ocean before I was 30 years old. I live in Wisconsin and my parents never traveled outside the state. Within the last 2 years I have had the opportunity to visit 3 other countries and I have now seen the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean sea. I haven't swan in them but I have waded in them on the shore.

I've touched more snow than I care to remember and I get the unfortunate task of touching(shoveling) more tonight. I hate this weather.

If the Packers won, you would be loving the weather right now. :)

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: invidia
Some people have never seen snow in their lives. I want to see it before I hit 30.

Don't overestimate it, I just shoveled my driveway and am heading out to do it again in about 10 minutes.

I am building this for my son to play on.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I've never seen the ocean, much less touched it. I suppose I'm just not inclined to do so.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

Stop lying. Seriously. No one has done or could do that.[/quote]

I believe you can do that in New York and California.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
The first time i saw the ocean was from a plane flying into England. The first time i touched it was on a small beach in Ireland. I was 21 and grew up in Minnesota. We took a lot of family trips together when i was younger but never went outside of the midwest (other than Seattle once, but didn't get to see the ocean that time).

Since, i've seen the ocean and swam in it numerous times.