Are there non-christian creationist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
I was thinking about all the debates we have about ID and Creationism vs evolution and was wondering. Is Creationism, broadly, professed by religious beliefs other than Christianity. What about Jews or Muslims, they profess belief in the old testament, but is that belief a literal translation as an scientific/historical account. What about Hindu's or other religions? Is there any other groups that discount evolution in exchange for their own creation story?

Edit

I was more interested to know if in any other religious sect's oppose the teaching of evolution in science classes in favor of a religious dogma

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
People who think we were created by super smart aliens as some side project I would qualify as non-Christian creationists. Wouldn't pretty much every other religion in the world be non-Christian creationists?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
It depends on how you define creationism. If you define it as the pseudoscience that is pushed in opposition to evolution then it's mostly Christians and some Muslims. If you define it more generally, most religions have their own supernatural creation story.

There are also some thinkers who think that the world likely to be a a simulation, but these don't really oppose evolution.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
It depends on how you define creationism. If you define it as the pseudoscience that is pushed in opposition to evolution then it's mostly Christians and some Muslims. If you define it more generally, most religions have their own supernatural creation story.

There are also some thinkers who think that the world likely to be a a simulation, but these don't really oppose evolution.

Yes, I was referring to the pseudoscience postulate in opposition to evolution.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
People who think we were created by super smart aliens as some side project I would qualify as non-Christian creationists. Wouldn't pretty much every other religion in the world be non-Christian creationists?
I wouldn't as the creationists claim that creation is cased by their god specifically.

It is present in other religions, perhaps not under this name, but the idea is the same: teach kids under umbrella of serious science how world has been designed and created by deity/deities.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I was thinking about all the debates we have about ID and Creationism vs evolution and was wondering. Is Creationism, broadly, professed by religious beliefs other than Christianity. What about Jews or Muslims, they profess belief in the old testament, but is that belief a literal translation as an scientific/historical account. What about Hindu's or other religions? Is there any other groups that discount evolution in exchange for their own creation story?

I believe that life could have had a creator, although I suspect if that's true it's on a molecular level and doesn't resemble anything described in any religion. So yeah I think there are non religious creationist, folks who think earth was seeded by higher life forms.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
I was more interested to know if in any other religious sect's oppose the teaching of evolution in science classes in favor of a religious dogma

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

You should go back and edit your original post to clarify that, even though you clarified it afterwards. Sadly, this thread is an example of people not reading beyond the first one or two posts in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.