Are there *NO* Linux-savvy people around? :P EDIT just checked numbers on the board

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
OK I set the jumpers to COM2 and IRQ3. Of course WinME still had it set that way, so I forced the resources to go to IRQ3 which &quot;conflicts&quot; with COM2.. When I rebooted, COM2 and the modem had the same resources, yet no &quot;conflict&quot;, interesting. But, the modem said &quot;COM5&quot; <- the IRQ and IO range were correct though, same as COM2.

So, I added a modem (WinME has a veyr little modem database .. added default X2 56K driver) to COM2, and it works perfectly fine.

So I'm assuming it should work like this, no.. ?

-RSI

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

OK I can connect just fine (37333 instead of 48000 mindyou, but nm), but I can't GO anywhere!! :| :|

And also, I ran every kind of setup I could think of and set the res to 1024 specifically, and it keeps going to 640x480 with a bloated 'virtual' desktop so I have to move around with the mouse all the time, and it's only in 16 colours!! how do I get rid of it?!?! :( :(

PLEASE help, I'm sooo cloooose!! JUST PM ME DAMMIT!

-RSI

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Dammit RSI. First observation: Why are you using such an old release? 7.1 my friend.

Second observation is that you are trying to use COM2, but I must point out that COM 1 and 2 are usually &quot;taken up&quot; by your onboard 9 pin serial ports. Have you disabled those in the BIOS or something?

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Damnit! I've been on broadband too long to remember if I ever set up Linux to run off a modem. I do remember having a Winmodem tho. :)

-SUO

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
YGPM RSI my son................:D

<< Second observation is that you are trying to use COM2 >>

My fault I left the IRQ/COMX table up and forgot to delete COM1,2. :D

SHUX

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Modem works fine I fixed that, disabled the ports in BIOS, set jumpers to COM2/IRQ3, and all works now. Except my video... can't get out of damned 640 again... argh! :|

-RSI

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
xconfigurator or xf86config, your choice. :) You could also try and install XFree 4.0.1.....then again nevermind, carry on. :)

SHUX

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
ok help me out on the net, what could be preventing it from working?

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
Broadband makes us Linux users soft:

Auto detect NIC.

NE2000?

Sure, whatever.

Enable DHCP?

WTF Not? OK.

BAM! Helloooooooooooooooooooo internet.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What NIC are you using? What does &quot;cat /proc/pci&quot; say? is that the right card being recognized? Next try &quot;lsmod&quot;, is the module installed? ie; I have a 3c905b-tx and the module is 3c59x so we need to find out if the card is installed and recognized then find out if the drivers are installed.

SHUX

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
after that we will trouble shoot from there, it could be as easy as
insmod <driver>
ifup eth0

If its installed right then we need a output of ifconfig -a, then we will use linuxconf utility to set the NIC's parameters....er' IP settings. :)

SHUX

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
Shux.... Who are you talking to????

I don't think RSI ever said he had a NIC. I was just saying that broadband makes us Linux users soft, as in; it's toooo easy to set up.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
jonny, most of this conversation happened in PM, hopefully he is &quot;tweaking&quot; his modem for better throughput w/the info and links I gave him.

<< Broadband makes us Linux users soft: >>

I don't know about that, I have had to configure my share of NIC's before, then again I do alot of IPMASQ's so its twice the hassle and then those damn routing tables...:D

SHUX

Henry Kuo

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2000
I don't know much about Linux so I can't really help. But it is kinda amusing to me that he posted in the OS forums and didn't get much help (at least not enough). But RSI posted the problem in the OFF TOPIC forum and he got 40 replies.... that's cute :):)

I guess maybe I should announce in the OFF TOPIC forum about any new articles, haha... :D:D

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well I don't think that's normal for OS forums to be so slow, its a great forum and there are lots of good people over there willing to help out, since W2K and WinME though its been kinda busy with smaller problems that I suppose could have been taken care of in Technical support, but whatever, RSI is on the web and his box is ready for tweaking, that's the good news. :)

SHUX

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
Fact is: everyone saw a post from RSI in OS and figured it was a neffing so they ignored it.

He posted in OT and everyone thought it may be amusing, so everyone looked.

Henry Kuo

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2000
haha, that's a good one jonny. He knows how to take advantage of different forums, haha....

j/k RSI. :D

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Whats funny is 12 different people replied to this thread and managed 40+ posts out of 33,000 people. OK so thats not all that weird....:D

SHUX

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
OK, this is pissing me off... How am I managing to kill it so fast? It froze in some setup program (was trying to get 1280x1024, but it didn't work, and froze at one point)... I switched using ALT-F2, logged in and typed &quot;reboot&quot;. Well when it booted up, it said i didn't unmount properly (which should be done automatically when you type reboot..), and some thing &quot;FAILED&quot;, and it made me give the root password to log in under single user I think, and when I tried to startx it said it couldn't write some file (probably because it's in read-only mode??).

Oh well... Maybe I should wipe everything, partition my Quantum LM (it's on an old 4.3G Quantum right now) and install it there, then install 2K?

-RSI

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I'm back, again...

Only this time I'm posting from my P83 downstairs. My comp upstairs has just Linux loaded on it, with a very crippled net connection.

Now I have to figure out how to get the network working properly and more importantly my net acecss in Linux... If I can't get the net up to speed I'm gonna have to dump it again... :(

-RSI