Are there is some high end graphics cards without coil whine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
oops, yep, 72C.
Could you share your Timespy score? It would be interesting to see what kind of score you get with those higher clock rates. I've gotten 14653 overall and 15453 graphics with my MSI Ventus 2080 ti (Afterburner's own scanner's OC + 800mhz RAM = 14560 overall/15371 graphics, w/power limit +110). This is running the latest Geforce drivers, 9900K.

It's weird with those core clocks, once past a certain level it makes little difference for the framerate - at least here. I hardly see any difference in Witcher 3, with the core clock at 1820mhz vs 1890mhz (110 vs 111-112 fps). Overclocked performs 11-12% better than default, which is pretty good though.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Thinking about my past upgrade history, which would be 680 -> 780 -> 2x 780 -> 780 Ti -> 980 Ti -> 1080 -> 1080 Ti -> 2080 Ti, the only card that I can recall hearing any coil whine on was an ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 Ti. I have two of these cards, and I think only one of them has coil whine, but to be fair, I may have never heard the other one because the one I did hear was in a fairly open case (Thermaltake Core X9) positioned at ear-level compared to the other in a "silent" case (Fractal Design Define R5) sitting further away on the floor.

I thought it was interesting when I was watching Linus Tech Tip's video on a silent case, and they complained about the video card having coil whine, which was worse than a typical fan. The amusing part? The video card in question was an ASUS ROG STRIX card. Outside of these ASUS cards, I've predominantly owned a lot of EVGA cards, and I haven't really had any issues. The coil whine that I experienced was certainly quite irritating given that my PC was setup to be fairly quiet, and it was audible as long as you had a game open. (Likely whenever the GPU hit a certain clock rate, and consequently, raised the voltage from idle/desktop levels.)

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
When my computer was in a Antec 900 making more noise then a M4 Sherman i was certain i had no coil whine. Put the build in a Fractal Meshify Mini and put a accelero 3 cooler on the 1070 ti and NOW i hear coil while. I had a 770 that used to scream like a banshee on high fps.

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
Its strange that people which are using headphones for playing are commenting coil whine issue, big ok.

I dunno if to middle / east Europe are send worse cards, or there is influence of 230 Voltage in comparison with 110 in USA. Here most of newer cards have quite loud coil whine.. About EVGA there are sponsoring some big youtubers and even they have machines with coil whine.