Are there closed tracks where you can race your cars?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I have no clue but I'm guessing there would be. Whats the price on those and are there any you can do for money with like 5 or 6 other people?

No, I'm not planning on racing any time soon, I just wanna get an idea because 5 to 6 years from now, thats what I'd like to do from time to time.

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
More than I can (and probably you) afford... Racing is expensive.
And I'm assuming you mean a track with turns and all, not a 1/4 mile strip.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Yes it's called auto crossing. Look it up in the yellow pages. Where are you from?

You don't autocross with 4-5 people at a time. He means an actual course race with all cars on the course at the same time.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Sure, they just let any inexperienced driver onto the track to rip around with each other. :p

Go street race. ;)

- M4H

LOL, that just made me laugh to myself, it cracked me up too, hehe, I've never had anyone tell me to go street race. I wonder if the cost of a ticket is lower than cost of entering a race...

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
It's not that expensive. I think I paid about $120 for a days worth of laps.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Sure, they just let any inexperienced driver onto the track to rip around with each other. :p

Go street race. ;)

- M4H

LOL, that just made me laugh to myself, it cracked me up too, hehe, I've never had anyone tell me to go street race. I wonder if the cost of a ticket is lower than cost of entering a race...

I heard down here in Florida, they severely ticket you, suspend your licenses, and impound/tow your car at your own cost if caught street racing. I don't street race, but its just coming from what I've heard from my friends.

Jan 31, 2002

Go street race. ;)

- M4H

In the case that isn't a joke:

dear sweet christ almighty no

That plus six demerit points + HUGE insurance rapage = not worth it.

- M4H

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
There is all types of amature racing opportunities including drag racing, autocross, and road racing. Just look for your local track for information. You CAN concivably rent a track and run on your own, but I'd assume that the cost wouldn't be worth it unless you had some bucks.

Cost of getting caught street racing in California can include your car (they can sieze it), and just watching is a $350 misdemeanor.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

Go street race. ;)

- M4H

I dunno if that was sarcastic, but they really do let ppl race on the major tracks. In Toronto, many clubs hold lapping days at Mosport Int'l Raceway. This is on the same track that hosted the F1 GPs back in the day. They usually divide the ppl in classes based on their experience level. And each class goes at a time. According to my buddy who's a regular there, you can waste about two tanks (60L each tank) of gas in one day at hte track.

But lapping on a real racetrack is $$$. I'd suggest going into autocrosses since its much cheaper (both entry cost and easy on the car). And you'll learn to be a smooth driver.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

Go street race. ;)

- M4H

I dunno if that was sarcastic, but they really do let ppl race on the major tracks. In Toronto, many clubs hold lapping days at Mosport Int'l Raceway. This is on the same track that hosted the F1 GPs back in the day. They usually divide the ppl in classes based on their experience level. And each class goes at a time. According to my buddy who's a regular there, you can waste about two tanks (60L each tank) of gas in one day at hte track.

But lapping on a real racetrack is $$$. I'd suggest going into autocrosses since its much cheaper (both entry cost and easy on the car). And you'll learn to be a smooth driver.

Here are some pics my buddy took when we went to Mosport to watch individuals lap around teh track:

Is there a link I'm missing?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

Go street race. ;)

- M4H

Here are some pics my buddy took when we went to Mosport to watch individuals lap around teh track:

Is there a link I'm missing?

check yo PM

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003

Go street race. ;)

- M4H

In the case that isn't a joke:

dear sweet christ almighty no

That plus six demerit points + HUGE insurance rapage = not worth it.

- M4H

Oh, I took it as a joke. I know very clearly why street racing is bad and I do not support it either, but that was just the first time I ever heard anyone even joke about that and it got me laughing somehow...

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Here in california racing at a track isn't much more expensive than autocrossing, if you look at it in terms of cost per run.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
You can also have friends block off sections of public roads either with their cars, yellow tape, etc. and then race. Have some sort of radio communication so all entrances and exits have guys as lookouts.

Just remember with public roads there is no "racing line" in mind....they are designed to handle a certain amount of speed and traffic...therefore you will be taking unconventional lines and with no practice, your braking zones are going to be all based on feel (additional note on bottom). Also, a word about passing. Most public roads have little or no passing corners, especially if the cars are set up equally. Be prepared for some very hairy turns, especially if you are going 2-3 wide in the straight.

Oh and a little note on how cops are able to catch most street racers is based on the fact that:

1. they have radios
2. they know the area, streets, braking zones, road conditions, directions, etc.
3. some are fairly decent drivers

Therefore, always plan an escape route. Map it out, pre-run it in the day time. Mark out your braking zones, practice (you don't have to go all out). Make sure you know what direction you are going and any surrounding surface streets. You notice that more emphasis is based on your escape than the actual race. This is assuming you are racing friends for fun...not a competition (for money) venture...and any run in with the LE would be highly detrimental.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: freebee
You can also have friends block off sections of public roads either with their cars, yellow tape, etc. and then race. Have some sort of radio communication so all entrances and exits have guys as lookouts.

Just remember with public roads there is no "racing line" in mind....they are designed to handle a certain amount of speed and traffic...therefore you will be taking unconventional lines and with no practice, your braking zones are going to be all based on feel (additional note on bottom). Also, a word about passing. Most public roads have little or no passing corners, especially if the cars are set up equally. Be prepared for some very hairy turns, especially if you are going 2-3 wide in the straight.

Oh and a little note on how cops are able to catch most street racers is based on the fact that:

1. they have radios
2. they know the area, streets, braking zones, road conditions, directions, etc.
3. some are fairly decent drivers

Therefore, always plan an escape route. Map it out, pre-run it in the day time. Mark out your braking zones, practice (you don't have to go all out). Make sure you know what direction you are going and any surrounding surface streets. You notice that more emphasis is based on your escape than the actual race. This is assuming you are racing friends for fun...not a competition (for money) venture...and any run in with the LE would be highly detrimental.

Wow, did you type up that explanation just for this threaed? I'm 15 still and I don't plan on racing for atleast 5 years or later if I don't think I'm ready.

I have one more question, if there are not tracks that are easily available at a low price, why do many people mod their car so much for performance? I'm talking places where its actually used... not just 0-60 from stop to highway...

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
willow springs here has track days... for wannabee racers and the like. they don't let you 'race' outright but let you drive as fast as you can to get to know your car. if they feel that you're becoming a danger by being too aggressive they'll pull you off... and tell you.

BlackOmen

Aug 23, 2001
The
SCCA sponsors many Autocross, Road Race, and Rally events. It typically costs $20-$30 to get in on and it's a boatload of fun. The one local branch of the SCCA sponsors rally where a guy owned all in his Cadillac. I've only been autocrossing, but most people show up with their daily driver to have fun, but for those more hardcore, it's broken up into classes to ensure fair competition.

Unless you become a professional racer, I doubt they'll let you take several cars on a track (insurance reasons), but solo racing is still fun.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Car modding is mostly for show and straight-line racing. You'll notice very few street cars have the suspension and brake mods that enable them to handle prolonged road racing conditions. On the street most of the time its all about horsepower and quarter mile times.

Which I find odd, because real american muscle cars can be modded as much better drag racers than 4cyl imports....and will end up being cheaper as well.

In addition, few of the street racers have any sort of formal race training. And those that do have formal training know that straight line racing with unequal cars is pretty stupid.

For the aspiring racer (head to head competition), you might want to try a driving school....but these can be expensive. But IMO real racing is with multiple cars...autocrossing in like mastubation...its good, but it aint the real thing.

BlackOmen

Aug 23, 2001
And those that do have formal training know that straight line racing with unequal cars is pretty stupid.

Bracket racing. It doesn't matter whose car is faster; it matters who knows their car more and who is more consistent (ie the better racer).

But IMO real racing is with multiple cars...autocrossing in like mastubation...its good, but it aint the real thing.

But for those who only have a daily driver does not want to take any damage, it's perfect. And you've never seen competition until you've consistently been owned by an eccentric guy in a Dodge Omni.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BlackOmen
And those that do have formal training know that straight line racing with unequal cars is pretty stupid.

Bracket racing. It doesn't matter whose car is faster; it matters who knows their car more and who is more consistent (ie the better racer).

But IMO real racing is with multiple cars...autocrossing in like mastubation...its good, but it aint the real thing.

But for those who only have a daily driver does not want to take any damage, it's perfect. And you've never seen competition until you've consistently been owned by an eccentric guy in a Dodge Omni.

i got owned by 89 cutlass ceira, the bmw 540 got owned by him too, as did other supposedly fast cars.

and yes multiple cars can race at a time on major racetracks such as VIR, willowsprins, mosport, etc..

BlackOmen

Aug 23, 2001

and yes multiple cars can race at a time on major racetracks such as VIR, willowsprins, mosport, etc..

And that's beautiful, however, I was only stating that many people do not have a car that they want to risk damage too, which leaves autocrossing or solo road racing as a way to still race, with competition, without damage.

And I feel your pain wrt the Cutlass :(