Question Are there certain cards that are good for media production and not gaming and vise versa?

Vybz

Dec 27, 2007
So I think I heard that there were certain GPU's I shouldn't buy if I am looking to do media production, like video and photo editing and graphic design. Is this true? Are there certain cards that are good for media production and not gaming and vise versa?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
First I've heard such a thing. What's more important is the overall system integration from each component and how they tie together.

Vybz

Dec 27, 2007
yeah I think you are right because I have searched everywhere and I don't see anything that says certain GPU's aren't good for media creation. Thanks

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I know there's more marketing towards miners and gamers but at the component level it's all the same stuff.

It's like the common focus on PCIE5 slots being for GPUs but, you can use them for anything that can use the high bandwidth lij a board you can mount 4 NVME drives to for increased storage with high performance speeds.

There might be different CPU's that are better at media / GD though depending on the program it might take advantage of something offered by Intel or AMD. Some things you do might benefit from AVX-512 on AMD because Intel doesn't offer it on the consumer side. Or currently using the hybrid cores on Intel chews though processing a project quicker than AMD might.

Sometimes you just have to dig a little deeper to figure out this sort of thing and how it pertains to your specific use case to find the better solution.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
So I think I heard that there were certain GPU's I shouldn't buy if I am looking to do media production, like video and photo editing and graphic design. Is this true? Are there certain cards that are good for media production and not gaming and vise versa?
Both nvidia and AMD has video cards that are targeted professionel, and some software takes use of nvidia CUDA to speed up specific tasks. If you are talking hobby level I don't think it matters, if you're going to edit the next Hollywood AAA blockbuster it probably will.

Vybz

Dec 27, 2007
I know there's more marketing towards miners and gamers but at the component level it's all the same stuff.

It's like the common focus on PCIE5 slots being for GPUs but, you can use them for anything that can use the high bandwidth lij a board you can mount 4 NVME drives to for increased storage with high performance speeds.

There might be different CPU's that are better at media / GD though depending on the program it might take advantage of something offered by Intel or AMD. Some things you do might benefit from AVX-512 on AMD because Intel doesn't offer it on the consumer side. Or currently using the hybrid cores on Intel chews though processing a project quicker than AMD might.

Sometimes you just have to dig a little deeper to figure out this sort of thing and how it pertains to your specific use case to find the better solution.

Yeah I believe than a good GPU will be good enough for what I need it for. I was just misinformed

Both nvidia and AMD has video cards that are targeted professionel, and some software takes use of nvidia CUDA to speed up specific tasks. If you are talking hobby level I don't think it matters, if you're going to edit the next Hollywood AAA blockbuster it probably will.

It is not a hobby but its not Hollywood either. So I think just getting a good GPU that would allow me to create and game would be fine.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Yeah I believe than a good GPU will be good enough for what I need it for. I was just misinformed

It is not a hobby but its not Hollywood either. So I think just getting a good GPU that would allow me to create and game would be fine.
What software do you intend to use?

Reactions: Leeea

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Marking Answer: Yes.
Real Answer : Sort of.
Technical Answer: No, its the same silicon.

Marking makes you want to buy a more expensive Radeon Pro or Quadro.

Real Answer : Its really down to the drivers, Radeon Pro and Quadro are more geared to productivity, and less optimized for gaming.
But drivers are firmware locked, meaning without flashing your card, you can not load Quadro drivers onto a GTX or vice versa.

Technical Answer: Its the same silicon, except maybe a few Radeon Pro's which use HBM memory instead of GDDR... exception being the Radeon 7. If you can find hacked firmware, you can flash a consumer card into a workstation, and run workstation drivers.

So a 3090 has drivers optimized for gaming, while its counter part, the RTX 8000 is more geared to productivity because of the drivers, but its the same silicon when you boil down to it.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I am going to argue in general Nvidia has better support in media editing tools. Just because in general the writers of media editing tools seem to have put more time into making it work with nvidia.

Although, for specific tools AMD might have the faster card.

It is all going to come down to what tools you are using.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I am going to argue in general Nvidia has better support in media editing tools. Just because in general the writers of media editing tools seem to have put more time into making it work with nvidia.

Although, for specific tools AMD might have the faster card.

It is all going to come down to what tools you are using.
Exactly, and that's why I asked about what software he was using.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
OP, your question got answered, so I will give you something related to it to consider.

Checkout this vid showing how the Intel iGPU can augment content creation even with a powerful dGPU in your system.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
photoshop, Illustrator, Lunacy, inDesign, Vectr, openshot, primere, resolve. the basics

I'm not an expert in this area, but what I would do was to examine if any of these products are written with CUDA acceleration and therefore could benefit from a nvidia card. Also you have to consider, do you work on large raw files with lots of filters, that might benefit from a very powerful card with lots of vram.