Question Are there any Wifi 6 Routers that don't have issues with wireless disconnects?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mears

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
I'm looking to upgrade an Asus RT-AC87U that has been an absolute train wreck. I'd really like to get a wifi 6 router as I have numerous devices that support it. Looking through reviews at Amazon, I can't find a single Wifi 6 router that doesn't have multiple negative reviews for random device disconnects. Since that's one of the issues I'm having with RT-AC87U (no it's not the effing dc adapter), I'm sensitive to that issue. Are there any bulletproof wifi 6 routers?

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
To be perfectly honest, I prefer using PoE injectors over letting a switch with PoE provide the power. All it takes is for someone to unplug that port from the switch and plug something else in for a quick test or selecting the wrong port to turn PoE on in the switch configuration and all of a sudden, poof, goes the magic grey smoke....
I would agree, except I would be the only one plugging or unplugging things,

My deployment is 2 homes over a wireless bridge, and am trying to get a camera into my wife's hair salon.

I am starting to realize, I may have to use a different brand for the salon, since it will be using a cellular WAP for its connectivity. It does not need to come back tp the main home network.

We just need to be able to have motion activated, IR capable security at her salon, to make sure 2 recently departed booth renters are not entering unlawfully.

I know I could change the locks and be done with it. But her landlord is a POS attorney at that, think slum lord. And I want proof of illegal entering if they so dare.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
We just need to be able to have motion activated, IR capable security at her salon, to make sure 2 recently departed booth renters are not entering unlawfully.

I know I could change the locks and be done with it. But her landlord is a POS attorney at that, think slum lord. And I want proof of illegal entering if they so dare.
Makes sense. Even with changing the locks, you never know who might somehow slip them a new key if you have other renters that were friends with them. You really need the video in either case as the video is the proof you would need anyway in a court/criminal situation if it ever came to that (hopefully it doesn't but you need to CYA especially if you leasing/renting the space yourself and sub-renting usage of the space).

Reactions: DaaQ

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Makes sense. Even with changing the locks, you never know who might somehow slip them a new key if you have other renters that were friends with them. You really need the video in either case as the video is the proof you would need anyway in a court/criminal situation if it ever came to that (hopefully it doesn't but you need to CYA especially if you leasing/renting the space yourself and sub-renting usage of the space).
I am just not going to be able to do it with a g3 instant, or ubiquity.

I am going to need a motion sensing that they can turn off during business hours, and has IR and probably cloud management/storage or sd card storage.

Any reccomends?

Update, holy smokes, Ubiquity approved cross shipment of my UAP6-LR , their forums said they never cross ship. Hopefully it doesn't take a month to come back in stock.

Just checked currently in stock at the UI store.

Mears

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
Yeah, I actually read the reviews versus relying on the ratios before ordering. None of the negative reviews (granted far fewer) of the NWA210AX mentioned disconnects/intermittent dropouts.

That's unfortunate. I was very, very close to ordering the UAP6 LR when I started researching the NWA210AX since I already have other Ubiquiti/UniFi hardware. I ended up going with the NWA210AX primarily because it has 2.5G backhaul and slightly better performance in the reviews I referenced. If I have issues with disconnects, I'll come back to bitch :)

Well, over a week with the NWA210AX and zero disconnects on either 2.4 or 5Ghz bands.

One major issue I have with it is I cannot get 2.5G backhaul working correctly. I've tried two different copper transceivers that support 2.5G. If I let my switch auto-negotiate, the switch will show 10G and the NWA210AX will show 2.5G. However, bandwidth to another system that's connected to the same switch (10G via fiber) will cap out at 1G speeds regardless of the number of devices streaming to it. If I manually set the port on the switch to 2.5G, the Zyxel access point doesn't work.

*Edit - I tried using a 2.5G PoE injector and using the ac/dc brick with both transceivers and it didn't make a difference.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
cap out at 1G speeds

I opened a case with them on this same issue. I went back and forth with them for a month saying the QOS profile was limiting it to 1GE due to the 1GE port and provided them with a ton of debug info to fix it.

The main thing though is it's stable and works at 160mhz for the best bandwidth possible. I suspect if you open a case with them it might prompt them to take another look a the bandwidth issue. I think this 1GE issue might plague other systems though as well since they all run on the same SW under the hood. The reason I saw when digging through the logs is QOS / WMM calculating the throughput based off the slower port instead of the 2.5GE port.

They insisted it wasn't related but, I had the numbers to support it from testing and debugging the setup. Compared to other AP's / routers though it does support the best speeds and stability I've come across in awhile. For the price the coverage is better than devices costing 2-3X as much or more.

I've contemplated hacking it to prove the point but, didn't want to void the warranty.