Are there any US neighborhoods that change as quickly as moving between Detroit neighborhoods?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
When you cross certain roads in the Detroit area, within a block it feels like you are in a different world. You go from old rusted cars with multiple windshield cracks to new BMWs and Caddies. Questionably maintained 1950s 800 sq ft houses to the manicured lawns of 2000+ sqft houses. Janky looking dollar stores to Whole Foods. Drive a bit farther and you transition back. I've always found the transition to be interesting in how jarring it is.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Tucson is that way. Dive trailer parks within a couple blocks of million dollar houses.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
This was by design by city planners. As I understand it, it was to put the "poor" in close proximity to the "rich" in order to improve diversity and empathy. It's difficult to do because people of all stripes are tribal and is exacerbated by school district lines that also follow tribal boundaries.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
In Chicago, what used to be Cabrini Green was more or less right by a nice neighborhood on the near north side ...

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
Where I grew up was maybe 30,000 people, the land mostly Haas avocado trees and lemons in 3 directions, Pacific Ocean in front, with rivers flowing down from the mountains behind. There was (past tense) some of the absolutely richest farmland in the entire world (ScientificAmerican said it was one of the 3 places with the richest farmland on this entire Gaia Earth, with topsoil 65 feet deep.) The USA ought to have enacted something like the concept of National Parks to protect the unique food production places into perpetuity, like my home and several similar locations nationwide, especially in California. Instead, now those places are mostly paved over for the quick buck profit of east coast investors, ugly strip-malls only 10 years old and already falling into decrepant condition, suddenly the fresh ocean breeze is chocking smog, retail stores with no customer traffic, teeming throngs of literally tens of thousands of 3rd country squatter illegals from central America everywhere...all vigorously trying to have their anchor baby in California. And they will. And YOU will pay for their entire lifestyle, they will live higher and better than you. Already true.
Now in my costal apradise home town the USG is importing people from Congo and Somalia. On YOUR dime. Why? Why?

For most Americans, where I'm exceptionally fortunate to live is financially impossible, - almost everyone wants to live here - a garden spot of the entire world, and USG is importing Somalians and Congo villagers in the thousands to here. WHY? All suddenly within last few years. By the way, a fundamental characteristic of :"here" is A:MOST ZERTO JOBS.

YOU can't afford to be here, but an African villager from Congo can because you pay his family''s way, with brand new apartment on former virgin farmland (no0 despoiled for his apartment), he gets a free $50,000 car,and all expenses paid paid paid, paid, paid, paid. WHY??? It's become rare for younger people here to score any entry level job here because aggro USG people push and force employers to hire the imported Somalian and Congo villagers who can't speak English, are not of this culture, are full of diseases, and are unwanted???

W T F ??? Why is this happening? Why?