Question Are there any upgrade paths to purchasing a MoBo now that can be used after Ryzen 5000 series?

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
As the title indicates... I really don't want to build a system now, then turn around in less than a year and have to upgrade the MoBo and CPU and Memory... But, there's no way around that, RIGHT?

Just bad timing...?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When DDR5 arrives, we will all need new CPU, new mobo, new RAM, and possibly, if PCI-E 5.0 hits on the same platform, new NVMe SSDs and potentially GPUs as well.

So yeah, either stick with existing "top-end DDR4 / PCI-E 4.0" rigs, until the kinks get worked out of the DDR5 / PCI-E 5.0 platform(s), maybe 6-12 months down the line, and THEN upgrade to them, possibly DDR5 prices will have come down to something reasonable then. (New DDR standards nearly always start out very expensive, until production ramps up. Then again, given chip and component shortages / supply-line issues, will DDR5 ever get as cheap as DDR4 is now?)

Reactions: Makaveli

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Thanks for the feedback guys...

When DDR5 arrives, we will all need new CPU, new mobo, new RAM, and possibly, if PCI-E 5.0 hits on the same platform, new NVMe SSDs and potentially GPUs as well.

So yeah, either stick with existing "top-end DDR4 / PCI-E 4.0" rigs, until the kinks get worked out of the DDR5 / PCI-E 5.0 platform(s), maybe 6-12 months down the line, and THEN upgrade to them, possibly DDR5 prices will have come down to something reasonable then. (New DDR standards nearly always start out very expensive, until production ramps up. Then again, given chip and component shortages / supply-line issues, will DDR5 ever get as cheap as DDR4 is now?)

Do I read this right that the new architecture could be here as early as September, but maybe not until March 2022? Yeah, I'm typically not an early adopter and will consider buying a stop-gap rig in the next few months if I can get my hands on a 3080 Ti. Then, I'll hold until the next CPU/GPU generation drops. Is it fair to say that the 4000 series Nvidia cards may be available around the same time as the next gen AMD CPUs? That would be the 6000 series CPUs, yes? Thanks for your help.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I suspect that we will see something new in about 1 year from now, not September. They might release some of the information the end of this year, but I suspect that the actual platform as a whole will not be out until March/April 2022 (as this will most definitely be a new socket, which means new motherboard, which means needing third party groups to all get their ducks in a row, and that means too many loose lips to let slip the information, and for something like this, there would be prototypes already out there now if it was to release in September this year).

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Keep in mind that there were rumors of having Zen 4 ported to AM4 as well as on AM5. I am not sure how true this is at all, or if these rumors are still considered possible.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I saw something not too long ago about DDR4 prices going up this year. I've been looking at a couple 2x16GB DDR4-3600 kits and the ones I looked at went up by $40-$50 since Jan. - Crucial Ballistix, Vengeance LPX, and a few Gskill kits.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I saw something not too long ago about DDR4 prices going up this year. I've been looking at a couple 2x16GB DDR4-3600 kits and the ones I looked at went up by $40-$50 since Jan. - Crucial Ballistix, Vengeance LPX, and a few Gskill kits.
If you are in the USA, this is due to the tariffs that Trump implemented on Chinese manufactured goods and items. Electronics lost their exemptions near the end of last year and now we are seeing the items that have shipped through customs for the first time that had those tariffs, meaning either the companies were going to eat the increased tariffs themselves or pass it along to the consumer, which do you think is more likely to happen? (And by the way, the third option "China pays it" doesn't exist because it is the importer who pays the price, not the exporter).