Are there any upcoming games worth building a PC for?

SeductivePig

Dec 18, 2007
I have a PS4 and lately I've been very interested in RPGs, FPS, and MMOs, but I can't decide if there's anything exclusive to the PC that's worth building one for. The PS4 has a decent amount of exclusives, but I'm interested in new things. Do you guys know?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
What about mods? Even though PS4 might get mods for a game or two, most of the good PC RPGs have tons of mods.

Mods for: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 4, NV, 3 - see www.nexusmods.com

PC-only: Divinity Original Sin

Do you like isometric / top down RPGs?
Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate remake

Gog.com: D&D games, Fallout 1 - 2

Did you ever play Star Wars KOTOR 1 - 2? Even if you did, you might want to have a PC to play the KOTOR MMO for all the single-player RPG content

Edit: you might want to wait a little while, since nvidia will be releasing their new cards soon (June?) and this will be the first die shrink in years. Or build with an old/used card as a placeholder and play through some of the older games while you wait.

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Star Citizen

This was going to my answer as well. Both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen are going to push PC hardware.

But since SQ42 probably won't see release until 2017 and SC at least a year after....not sure if that meets your definition of "upcoming".

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dwarf Fortress.

you dont need a fancy video card, but you will need the absolute fastest single core performance you can find ... and even then, it will be underpowered by about 1000%.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Cyberpunk 2077...but probably not until 2017.
Mass Effect Andromeda...Another 2017
Deus Ex Mankind Divided...2016
However, none of these are PC exclusives.

Mods for: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 4, NV, 3 - see www.nexusmods.com
YES!!!

However, I agree with Dave S...I would not rush out at this time to put together a PC. The games I am anticipating the most will not be available until 2017.

The Wife

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I might skip upgrading until 2017 when I have more options. Hopefully Zen is competitive and I can put together my first AMD system in a decade. If not, Skylake-E would be nice...

There just isn't anything demanding enough in the pipeline for 2016 that makes me want to upgrade.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned the past exclusives and all the games available on Steam.

Mods are a main reason for a lot of people making the plunge to PC gaming but there are so many other games available that it's mind blowing. Not to mention a PC can emulate most consoles on the market (PS2/Gamecube gen and prior, not sure how well the PS3/360 emulators are working).

Aug 29, 2015
Arma3 keeps getting better and better. There is also a Total Conversion for Skyrim which has been in development for about 4 years and is going to be pretty epic. It is called Enderal. Should be due around summer. There is an indie game called StarSector I am interested in too. Also Pantheon Rise of the Fallen which is a new MMO that is probably still 2 or 3 years away but has promise. It is a more hardcore MMO if you are into that type of thing. And yeah, Star Citizen is a big deal.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I might skip upgrading until 2017 when I have more options. Hopefully Zen is competitive and I can put together my first AMD system in a decade. If not, Skylake-E would be nice...

There just isn't anything demanding enough in the pipeline for 2016 that makes me want to upgrade.

Nothing in 2016 so far that I can see is a "must have", so I have to agree, there will be much better & faster hardware options on the table coming late 2016 / early 2017, so, I don't think now is the right time to build a new system.
The PS4 NEO is supposed to be out before the end of the year as well, that might tie you off for awhile.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 5 are due out this fall.

IMHO the BF series has become like the sports games are to EA. While the graphics might be better, the newer BF games are more neutered than even non-modded 1942. Everything is static as far as the aircraft carrier, no subs, etc. Hell even in BF2:SF you had night vision goggles and gas masks/cs grenades - where did all that go? Sadly if EA would just bring back some of the items from the 1942 versions that would be 'creative' in their minds. Let their be a little Naval warfare to go on with the other battles and if your carrier gets sunk, well you better get a land based runway. Personally skipped BF:Terrorists and am not holding my breathe for BF5 o_O

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Did you ever play Battlefield 2142? I had a lot of fun in that game. I don't like the new ones though, I think Arma stole my love.

Skipped 2142, but have played all the others - all the 1942 series along w/ the mods, the bf2 series, then the bfbc series and then just last bf4 and skipped the terrorist version. It will be interesting to see if BF5 does anything interesting. Kind of sad they have no innovation since the very beginning w/ the exception of their 'destructive environment' which, I don't know, doesn't do that much for me. Maybe I will look at some youtube videos of BF5 and see if anything looks like a game changer but I am not expecting much.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
With the PS4 Neo coming about, it might force many of us to upgrade to stay on parity.

Anyways I'm itching to upgrade, as I want to "perfect" my 1080p gaming experience with constant 60 FPS performance and a freesync monitor. Polaris 10 seems up my alley.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Take a look at No Man's Sky.
It doesn't really fit your genre's but it's a game some people are REALLY pumped for.

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
It's all revolved around making really difficult games that take years to "beat" where progress slows to a crawl or gets really difficult without buying "upgrades" .. games like clash of clans where addicts will pour hundreds and even thousands of dollars into them.... anyone not willing to turn them into part time jobs just can't compete, which is why I finally uninstalled it after another 2 months playing and have this nice free feeling inside.... never again with those type of games.

Also graphics have been reverting for a long time.. people spend money on games like who's your daddy in large numbers which is basically an unoptimized mess with very simplistic graphics that are on par with UT 1999... I miss my graphically superior AAA rated games like Crysis that came out with some regularity and were not dumbed down for the console masses. Those days are gone though, mostly.

I've noticed though it's a lot easier to spend small amounts of money on a game over time than it is to spend a big lump all at once... I spent $30 on COC over 3 transactions, yet I balk at paying $60 for AAA titles like GTA V that are arguably 10X better games.

In any case PC gaming started to kind of get a bit more mediocre around 2008-2010ish...

Last edited: