Are there any upcoming DJ games?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Doppel, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

The only one I've played was DJ Hero 2, an awesome game in great part because the music was excellent, and much better than the ancient hits in the guitar hero games. It doesn't look like anything is coming though, like music games in general are kind of past their prime (?).

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - upcoming games Forum Date
    Original white XBOX 360 vs Xbox One playing old COD games Console Gaming Feb 13, 2017
    Golf games for PS4? Console Gaming Feb 7, 2017
    War Tortoise is such a meta game Console Gaming Dec 15, 2016
    How to do a PS4 HD swap with out losing games and data Console Gaming Nov 29, 2016
    What's good (and upcoming) on the Vita? Console Gaming Dec 26, 2014

3. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Music games in general are pretty much over with. Also the DJ games didn't sell that well either even though I really liked those as well.

4. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

It's very weird how things become fads and go. I can see why DJ stuff didn't sell well and I think the guitars were beaten like a dead horse and then resurrected and beaten again. I guess unless you come up with revolutionary ideas like that game that requires a real guitar, or that DJ game that was still born that appeared to be far more "DJish" the games would get stale.

5. fustercluck

fustercluck Diamond Member

Somewhere out in the ocean there is an island made fully of plastic guitar hero guitars, rock band instruments, and turntables.

They were practically giving away the turn tables for a while, thought about getting one but eh. Maybe I'll grab one next time they are really cheap, since I have heard good things about the DJ hero games.

6. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Yeah, Activision pimped the ever living hell out of those games. They traded any market longevity for a few quarters of profit.

I think that they will make a comeback, but as you've said, they need a new hook before they can come back. I think it would be cool if they could make cheap instruments that were real enough that you could actually learn to play the songs on them and take that experience with you to a real instrument. After that, it's just a matter of setting up a good DLC system where you can download additional tracks. Add in some good social network integration and a way to track progress and it will be something that could be around for years without any major updates.

7. IceBergSLiM

IceBergSLiM Lifer

I think the market for this type of game is only shrinking as the barrier to entry for actually "DJ-ing" IRL is incredibly low.

8. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

I got a good chuckle out of that. To each his own! :)

9. Jeffg010

Jeffg010 Diamond Member

Well it was matter of time before Rocksmith with real instruments were to come. I put in 3 years on Rockband but the last year I hardly played any more. I wish Rocksmith was out first and maybe I would have learned to play real guitar. At this point I really don't have any time to try Rocksmith.

Also the "ancient hits in the guitar hero games" Rick James was pretty ancient you super freak :p

10. RedRooster

RedRooster Diamond Member

That Tupac/Bittersweet Symphony remix in DJ Hero 2 is the best videogame music in the history of videogame music.
    That whole genre of music games really hit a wall, not surprising, but I've never seen a whole genre just collapse like that. Except maybe fighting games ten years ago? This was something else though, just instant.